My mare won't get pregnant ~ I'm about ready to give up

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Becky, did your mare test abnormal (thyroid?)
No, Sandy, we didn't test her. My vet just took one look at little miss tubby and said put her on it! He's of the opinion that if a horse is overweight and not getting a lot to eat, try Thyro L and see what it does. I kept her on it about 2 months while she was really dieting, then weaned her off. She is not on it now, but does need to drop a few pounds as she gained back most of what she lost.

I will agree with Tami's statement about thyroid levels. For what it's worth, I do know of other mares with breeding 'issues' that got in foal after being put on Thyro L.

Something I just thought of..... I had a mare that we put on Thryo L years ago. Usually there is a range, she was low normal. She was with in the normal range though. She was not considered low. And it worked on her. Wow, must be getting old to forget that.....lol. Well, I guess that would make sense. That was when the mare was 8, she is 23 now. So yep, I am getting old....lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that is interesting. The only thing I remember

about her thyroid test is that it reported "normal".

Summer came here very lean and she has never

been overly fat but she does get worked with the

show horses.

I wonder if I should tryThryo L ??

~Sandy

for what it's worth.. thyroid doesn't always make them fat..there is Hyper and Hypo thyroidism one makes them fat and one makes them skinny. I'm not sure if it works that way in horses too..but i'm guessing it probably does.. Might still be worth trying they Thyro-L.

What a gorgeous mare! I think she needs a change of climate! :saludando: Send her on down to Oklahoma!

Seriously, good luck with whatever you decide to do. Good babysitters are hard to find too!
default_wub.png
:

Viki

Oh, what a lovely mare.

I I can't add anymore to the good suggestions above, but the thyro L sounds like in her case I'd give it a try. And take her out of show work...thyro L and just let her hang out in the pasutre with the stallion.........no stress.

Charotte

Viki,,
default_smile.png
) I would send her to you, at your new

farm, in a second,,, if I could only bring myself

to let her go... I know she'd LOVE being a Oklahoma

pasture chick!! hehehe

And Summer just told me thanks for saying she's purdy!

I just dug out the vet papers from the tyroid check.

Just says normal....

Ok, how/where do you get thyroid L ????

~Sandy

Charlotte,,, You think I shouldn't work her??

Now THAT will really make her happy...
default_smile.png
)

You can get Thyro L from your vet.

Ditto what Charlotte said about not working her! I've seen show mares that don't get in foal simply from being shown.

I was told a long time ago by a former breeder to 'keep it as close to nature as possible' when it comes to breeding. Mares living outside and interacting with the stallions has worked well here for me. I have nearly a 100% conception rate every year.
default_smile.png

I have a mare like this. She is very regular comes in season every 28 days like clockwork in fact so much like clockwork it is always in the afternoon when she first comes in or should I say at least shows to the stallion.

She has no problem settling but absorbs it along the way it is frustrating she has never had a foal though. Vet suggested Reguamte but at this point I will breed her again in the spring and if it doesnt work well guess she was meant to do something else
default_wink.png
: and she will just continue to show

Latest posts

Back