My Levi update! Pics at 4 months old

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyWestTexasFarmGirl

Reaction score
My little Levi is looking snazzy all shedded out of that gray foaly fuzz.

Hes right at 4 months old. Since I am learning I wanted to get some opinions of his conformation.

Hes not registered and wont ever be show horse, but I would like to learn all i can.

Heres what I see... pointy butt, toes out, narrow chest...

uh.. and the bitey thing WAS stopped... he KNOWS better but was checking to see if hubby knows that horses arent supposed to bite...haha. I just happend to be snapping pics at the same time.

100_1422.jpg

ok finally getting pics to upload here is another.

100_1426.jpg

100_1424.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he looks really good (and I love his name...my colt's name is Levi, too
default_smile.png
), but we can't see his narrow chest or his toeing out from the side
default_wink.png
I can see his right is toeing out, but that can correct through growth (babies are wonky and when the chest fills out it can correct that) Don't judge him too harshly until he's a year old +. But, again, from the side, I really like him

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I can see the toeing out from the side. But, again, I wouldn't worry too much until a year.

ok here goes... another couple of pics.

100_1438.jpg

100_1437.jpg

100_1436.jpg

We are thinking of buying his half brother too... hes a pocket pony... always seeking attention. Hes seems straighter legged but not as balanced..

100_1428.jpg

the mare in the background is sooooo fat... She is temporarily boarding there and has lost weight since shes been there... shes fat fat fat!

I would make sure you trim his feet every 4 weeks. Right now he looks like he could use a good trimming by a farrier. You can keep rasping the outside of his hoof every week to help straighten him out. I would not worry too much though as with trimming and rasping, he will straighten out just fine I bet. Otheriese I think he looks great. What a cute lil guy!

What a cute little chap! I'm sure some regular trimming by an experienced farrier will help, like others have said. Also he will probably improve as he matures.

May I ask what he is eating? He does look as though he is growing/shooting up pretty fast, so was just thinking that some good quality foal feed might help keep up his strength, or you could try a couple of weeks of Foal Response/Rejuvenaide. Sorry if you have already said somewhere what you are feeding him.
default_yes.gif

As for the mare in the back ground being fat - I would simply call her 'well covered' - you ought to see my lot! LOL!!

Well, he's got a nice neck, lovely color, and although he does toe out a little, that can change as the foals grow. Some of the foals can grow so fast, that their hooves may need trimming every couple of weeks.

I think Levi is a great looking colt with a lot of potential!

AnnaC she looks thinner in the picture than she is... that angle is slimming for some reason and shes not as fat as she was a few weeks ago. when she walks she almost has to tip from side to side shes sooo fat.

I think the farrier is supposed to be out soon to trim, he isnt officially MINE until hes weaned and delivered and is on their scheduling, he was trimmed 4 weeks ago so due for another any day I think. Hes right at 4 months and his breeder says he thinks he is ready to go at any time(he weans WAY earlier than I think should), but he knows I dont want to rush him too soon and said he can stay as long as we want.

What do you guys think of his brother in that last pic?

AnnaC.. sorry I didnt see your comment on feed, they have free choice hay and I know they get alittle alfalfa from time to time and some pelleted feed, but Im not sure WHAT. I have seen it in the feed buckets but not been back in the barn to see what kind. Once hes home he will be on the Purina mini horse feed and coastal hay.

Looking at your pictures I see a cute colt who needs his feet trimmed.....from the pictures I don't see misallignment in his legs but I do see overlong hooves AND he needs to put on weight....maybe higher protein in his diet also. This is often the cause of a narrow chest (inadequate weight) and when the chest is narrow the front feet will point out.

Boost his weight. Keep his feet properly trimmed (no 'corrective' trimming please). and see where he is in 60 days.

Charlotte

I agree with Charlotte. He needs more protein in his diet(alfalfa is notably higher in protein than any grass hay; 'some' (high quality, of course!) alfalfa is desirable for young stock. You might want to consider an 'equine JUNIOR' concentrate for him for a while after you get him home, then perhaps move to the new 'mini and pony' concentrated feed.

Also agree on 'no "corrective" trimming; all you may do by rasping his outside wall is cause his hooves to be off-balance, possibly creating more problems than you'd 'solve'.... Find a KNOWLEDGEABLE farrier who will not leave the feet too long, and will balance properly toe to heel and side to side, and to the angle of the pasterns. Youngsters often DO needand should have, their feet trimmed more often than older horses would.

He looks to me as if he could stand to be dewormed. From the photos, those minis are in a pasture situation that presents a HIGH likelihood of worm infestation...short grass, LOTS of manure lying about unremoved -- not even harrowed to break it up and scatter it-- warm conditions, standing water(I realize that *may* be irrigation water, but whatever the source, it helps produce an 'ideal' situation for worm eggs to 'lie in wait' to be ingested by horses!) Have the current owners dewormed the foals, and if so, when and with what? (I'd ASK!) Plan to utilize a foal-safe dewormer every 30 days or so once you bring him home, with your vet's advice and approval, of course!

Cute, leggy foals with some of my favorite markings...best of luck with him(or, them!!)

Margo(who has had the joyful job of taking full care of horses for 60 continuous years....)

Latest posts

Back