My horses were attacked by dogs this am.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trish

Reaction score
It all started around 6:30 this morning, we heard a noise.
default_wacko.png
My husband got up and let the dogs out to the side yard. I heard a neighbor's dog barking, then my dogs started barking like something was wrong. I got up and looked out the backdoor and my two minis were running around their pen being chased by dogs!!! They had crawled under the field fence and were attacking my stallion. I yelled to my husband that there were dogs in the pen chasing the horses, we grabbed the key to unlock the gate, ran outside in our jammies and barefoot. By the time we got into the pen the dogs went back out under the fence. I saw there was blood on my stallion and was looking him over. The dogs bit his nose, the back of his legs, the top of his neck, under his neck, at his flanks, nothing gushing blood, just bites. Looked the mare over and there were no bites, I guess he was taking the brunt of the bites to keep the dogs away from the mare. I called my friend Liz and told her want happened, she dropped off her rig and took my truck to work. I got the horses to the vet right about 8am when they opened. The vet gave both a rabies shot, gave the stallion a tetnus shot and Banamine. He cleaned him up, clipped the areas where he was bit, put antibiotic ointment on the bites and started him on antibotics. They are staying at the vet over night because the stallion is very sore.

I had contacted the local police non emergency number, reported what happened, they forwarded the info to the animal control dept. After I got back from TSC with 2 new cattle panels to reinforce the fence, the animal control agent stopped by and we discussed the incident. He said he would patrol the area and see if he could find them. The problem is it was 6:30am and dark, we really couldn't see what kind of dogs or what color. ARRGGG.

I will call the vet in the morning to check on them, should be picking after work.

I am horrified that this happened again
no.gif
I'm glad your boy is going to be okay and what brave boy he is protecting his lady like that
wub.gif

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and will be praying that these dogs are caught. Better yet, their owners found and made to pay your expenses!

I love my own dogs like nobody's business, but I'd never tolerate having them running loose and behaving this way
wacko.gif

BRRRRR!!!!!! Thank God you heard and ran out to help! Poor horses. I'm sorry your stallion got hurt! I've been bitten by a dog and it HURTS. I'm glad he'll be ok.

That is awful that happened to your horses. I hope they find the dogs that did this. Hope your boy feels better soon.

Will hope and pray you find an answer to this........

It seems that it is dogs in packs who cause more harm than coyotes or the big cats.
default_torch.gif

And that means bad human ownership, either by dumping or allowing the dogs to run.

I had to go thru the same situation only with my case nothing was done. We had countless footage of the dogs chasing the horses and the dogs getting into our feed and the cops didn't do a thing. My best advice is I'm sure they will be back again is either have your camera ready to take footage or a pistol. I hope they won't come back. Our problem was it was my neighbors dogs that live right next to me.

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your horses being attacked..... People need to be more responsible about owning pets. There are WAY to many incidents happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
With two of these on the front page, and as a HUGE dog lover, I must say that these dogs all need to be humanely euthanized. Period. It is not fair to you, the horses, other neighbors, or the dogs, to have them running free; especially after an attack such as this. I have talked with animal control here and it is legal to "dispatch" animals that are threatening my livestock. Chickens, rabbits, ducks, goats, and certainly horses. If the owners won't do the right thing, then you must. I've been there, and cried buckets (of anger) after the fact. Even if one of my dogs accidentally got out and did harm on the first outing I would be obligated to take him/her in. It is our job as responsible pet owners.

OK, rant over. Sorry.

I'M GLAD YOUR HORSES ARE OK. IT IS SCARY WHEN STRANGE DOGS GET IN. MY LITTLE STALLION WASN'T SO LUCKY, HE WAS SO BADLY INJURED HE HAD TO BE PUT DOWN. WE FOUND THE DOGS AND THE OWNER KNEW THEY WERE VICIOUS (SP) AND HAD ATTACKED OTHER ANIMALS BEFORE. THIS TIME THEY WERE TAKEN AND DESTROYED AND THE OWNER IS DOING HARD TIME. IF YOU CAN PUSH FOR PENALITIES AGINST OWNERS DO SO. THIS GUY HAS 3 STRIKES AGINST HIM AND WILL SPEND A LONG TIME IN LOCKUP. IT WON'T BRING LADDIE BACK, BUT THERE IS SOME JUSTICE. HOPE YOU FIND THE DOGS,AND MAKE THE OWNER PAY BIG TIME. SORRY I'M ON MY SOAP BOX, NO ONE SHOULD HAVE TO FEAR FOR THEIR ANIMALS.

I am so sorry to hear this, but those dogs WILL be back! And they will dig in or jump in, again- because this is fun to them.

I hope you can find the dogs and present their owner with the vet bill, a bill for your time off work and the suffering and extended vet care for the horse that it will need!!!!!!!!!! And the dogs need to be removed!

Could you tell anything? Make and model? Color, size?

I had to go thru the same situation only with my case nothing was done. We had countless footage of the dogs chasing the horses and the dogs getting into our feed and the cops didn't do a thing. My best advice is I'm sure they will be back again is either have your camera ready to take footage or a pistol. I hope they won't come back. Our problem was it was my neighbors dogs that live right next to me.
When there's no back up with the authorities, that's when the "SSS" method comes in. (Shoot, Shovel, Shutup.)

When there's no back up with the authorities, that's when the "SSS" method comes in. (Shoot, Shovel, Shutup.)

I totally agree , you do whatever you have to , to protect your minis

I'm so sorry to hear about the dog attack.
default_no.gif
I'm also afraid they'll be back so please take precations!

Thanks for all the support. We bought 2 new cattle panels yesterday and put them along the back fence line and also reinforced the bottom of the fence. Added more support around the bottom in several areas. Had called the vet this am and they were pleased with how Cowboy was doing. We got to pick them up at 5:45pm
default_aktion033.gif
The bill was $269. they didn't charge me any extra for leaving the mare with the stallion. He would have been really upset with out his Pearl. The vet sent home a container of Tucoprim powder - antibotic - will give him once a day for 10 days.

Yesterday when I had gone to the vet to check on them, the vet asked me if I knew how to shoot.
default_yes.gif
He said he wasn't one for shooting dogs, but if one attacked one of his on his own property, he would shoot then call the sheriff to report the incident. Needless to say my son brought me his 22 rifle and bullets
default_rolleyes.gif
So I dare those darn dogs to set foot on my property.

I am very thankful for a wonderful vet clinic and staff.
default_yes.gif
And thanks for all your support!
default_wub.png

Tucoprim powder -- Love that stuff. It's a form of SMZ (Sulfa) antibiotic but as you said only needs to be given ONCE a day.... Not all vets make it available for some reason.

Sounds as if your vet is being very fair with his charges.

Latest posts

Back