My grandma

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
My dear beloved grandma passed away peacefully on the morning of June 18th at the ripe "young-at-heart" age of 101!! Her only child (my mother), son-in-law (my dad) and her 3 grandchildren got to see her on Thursday evening (she was in a coma-like state). Early Friday morning, my parents went to the nursing home and my mom told her it was OK to go and be with her husband (who died back in 1976). My grandma opened her eyes, looked at my parents, closed them, took a few more breaths and died. It was so quick that my mom didn't even notice at first.

Tonight was the viewing. Normally, I have a hard time going up to someone who has died lying in a casket, but my grandma will always be "alive" to me and I held her hand and told her I loved her.

Here (below) is a link to an online obituary...which is a very interesting condensed version of her life, but she was soooo much more...This just barely touches on who she really was as a person...a woman who so many admired and loved thru out the years. Her smile was ever present...when I think of her, that is what will stay with me. She loved music and dancing and singing. She always had a kind word for someone...I can't remember ever seeing her angry (altho I am sure she did at times, she never let it show).

She was from Germany, so she had a German accent, but she moved to New York, so she "added" a New York accent to the German accent...lol...then she moved to Oregon and no one outside our family could understand her...lol We often "made fun of" (in a loving way) her way of speaking because it was so endearing. She was nearly blind and wore THICK glasses, so her eyes looked so big, but that is how we knew her, so it seemed so normal to us...yet when we jokingly put her glasses on ourselves it was hilarious how big our eyes seemed! LOL She wore dentures, but insisted that she didn't need adhesive to keep them in, yet when she ate, they clanked...LOL! Oh, I have so many fun memories of her...was a cute little old lady she was...yet she was never helpless...far from it! She got up on a step stool and painted her walls into her 80's. She gardened and pruned her trees and picked her fruit from those trees into her early 90's.

After she went into the nursing home, it was hard for me to go visit her (ecept for special occasions like her Bday or Christmas). I did not want to remember her deteriorating into an OLD woman, tho even in the nursing home, she scooted herself all over the building in her wheelchair...she was almost never in her room. Everyone who worked there knew "Hildy" and loved her.

That last night I saw her...lying in her bed, nearing death, I will remember that, but all the other memories I have of her...so alive...happy...smiling...take over and THAT is the grandmother whom I will always remember in my heart.

Tomorrow we lay her to rest.

RIP Grandma...I love you!

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Hildegard-Barany&lc=7390&mid=4291494

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh that is such a nice tribute. And it was nice, even though it was hard for you to see her there, you still did it. It was harder for her to be there for sure. But we love them anyway, and without a doubt if the tables had been turned you KNOW you gramma would have been there to visit you. We only get a little time on earth, and there is no time for " I should haves".

Sounds like your family appreciated her her whole life and that says something about how neat of a person she was. I am sorry you guys lost her.

When my aunt was 91 and had a stroke, we would go every other day to see her. And never regretted the time we spent with her. And my Mom too when her time came. I hope someone will do that for me when it is my time!

I think one of the closest times I have beenso angry I could have hit someone, is when my elderly Mom was having major health problems and I was just freaking out trying to get her help, and the Dr. Said " well,,,, she IS old". Like that made anything okay. Grrrr.

Linda, your grandmother sounds like someone I would have loved to have known. You've written a beautiful tribute, and I am certain she was so proud of you and is right now smiling at your words of love!

I'm so sorry for those of you who no longer have her with you, but happy to read of such a wonderful woman and such a full life.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a beautiful Tribute to your grandmother honey. I know that she and all of our past loved ones are up there looking after each of us and smiling down upon us. She will always be your special guardian angel honey. I love you very much. Deb

Wow...awesome tribute Linda, and what a very interesting obituary........your Grandma sounded like such a wonderful person and I am sure she will be very missed by all. It's nice to know that she is back with your Grandpa, huh? That is how I look at my Grandma and my Aunt and Mom....they may have all passed, but atleast they are together........ and I guess until I get the chance to meet up with them,

we relive our treasured memories.

Hugs to you.

Valerie

Oh Linda, what a beautiful tribute to your Grandma. So sorry for your loss, but you certainly have so many years of fond memories of her to help get you through this. (((HUGS)))

I can tell you really loved your grandma and will miss her. I am sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png
She sounds like a wonderful lady.

Thank you all for your kind words. Yesterday was the funeral...It is 12 midnight and I can't sleep...Not sure why.
default_unsure.png

She was a truly amazing woman...I have soooo many memories of her...They keep flooding my brain...and always make me smile...I think that is what is makes it "OK" for her to be gone...If that makes sense.

Latest posts

Back