My first foal!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on your healthy filly! There is a test now for gray, so if you really want to know I suggest getting her tested. Or just wait.

The mare could be carrying silver as grays can be any color before they turn gray. Gray is a modifier, not a color. For example, our gray mare is genetically a silver bay frame overo (LWO+) and homozygous for black. Her 2009 colt (see photos of them both in my avatar) is also silver bay and carries frame (LWO+) and tobiano patterns plus the gray gene. While the mare was white by the time her first registration photos were taken (i.e. around weaning), her foal is still gray and white at 10 months. I had heard that the silver gene makes them turn gray faster, but clearly the rate of going gray can differ even with the silver gene present.

Just wanted to throw in my "Congratulations" on a healthy little filly!!!
default_wub.png

She is just absolutely beautiful. Please do keep us updated as her mystery color emerges.

I think that is all part of the fun, you just never know what you are going to end up with!

Enjoy her!

Thank you again. It won't matter to me what color, it's just fun guessing. I may eventually have her color tested, if nothing else it would be interesting to learn what's hiding, it may even be beneficial to know if she's LWO+ (sire's a frame). We'll see how she changes, and I'll try to post pics as she does!

Latest posts

Back