My first foal!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haviris

Reaction score
Well my first miniature horse foal, born today and doing wonderfully! It is a filly!

03-11-109.jpg

03-11-1017.jpg

So my first thought after looking her over was that she's going to go gray like her mom, her mane is all silvery colored, her points are alot lighter then I've seen and her tail is full of white (maybe this is normal for a bay miniature foal? I've had two full sized bay foals, they had light frosting around and through their tails, but not like this, but minis have odd colors sometimes). I've never had a gray foal, but then I realized that all I've seen pics of tend to be darker, not lighter (a black based gray foal is usually blacker then a black foal, and bay based seem to have really dark points for a foal). I was just thinking bay and gray were my only choices, but then I got a 'duh' moment her sire is a red roan (he's mostly white frame, so I guess I don't normally think about the fact that he's also roan).

Anyway I've only had one roan foal, a blue roan, and at birth she looked identical the her mom's previous foal, who was black, but you could kind of see some of the white hairs if you rub the hair backwards. Her mane is sort of what has me wondering, it was the first thing that made me think she'd be gray, it's not black, it's silvery, since I really just started questioning her color I didn't think to get a pic of her mane (I will tomarrow), but here are a few pics of her tail,

03-11-1010.jpg

03-11-1018.jpg

So anyone had gray foals born, does she look like she'll be gray? What about roan? Or is she just a typical bay?

Dont ask me about possible colours! Just wanted to say congratulations she's very cute! Could we perhaps know the name of your mare and that of the sire? Have you got a name for the little cutie yet?

Again, well done you and Momma mare -- I shall be interested to read what others say about her colour!

Anna

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! What a pretty little girl!

I am not an expert on colors, but I am guessing a silver bay. I own two, and from the picture's of them when they were foal's they looked the same color as your filly. I don't really know but maybe she will be a silver bay roan since the sire is a red roan.

CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN!!!!!

Congratulations on your new filly! I would say that no, it doesn;t appear she'll grey out like her dam. She is bay, and usually when bays that are going to grey are born, their color os very vivid and out of the ordinary. What I mean, is she likely would have had black leg points showing rather than the silvery color. The silvery color in her tail and legs are typical foal hair, and will darken/be replaced with black as she ages. The black leg points of a bay are hiding under the silvery hair.

Her sire is 'Dreamweaver's Sample the Wild Things' and her dam is 'Whispering Oak's Chrystal Light'.

So w/ silver, doesn't one parent have to be silver, or is it recessive? I don't know anything about how the silver gene works, most of the foals that I have seen that this mare has had were either bay or bay tobiano (obviously when bred to tobi), and one gray.

If it doesn't rain I'll get her outside for some new pics today!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a pic of her silvery mane,

006-1.jpg

So anyway to guess if she's going to be roan? I know w/ the one blue roan filly we had you could rub the hair backwards and see a few scattered white hairs, I checked last night and didn't think I saw any, but today in the sun light, I'm not 100% sure (because she has so much light hair), but I think I can see some! Her sire has a half brother that is bay roan, and he's gorgeous!

When I thought the choices were bay or gray, I really didn't care which, they're both pretty! But I have to admit I'd really love it if she turns out bay roan!

Congratulations!

She looks like a silver bay to me. Since her sire is red based, he could have silver? Silver can hide on red coats...

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
default_wub.png
congrats

i would guess silver bay.

i have had a bay foal born that gray out.

DSCN8221.jpg
our bay foal that gray out

DSCN8209.jpg
google eyes

dscn8560.jpg

101_0303.jpg
gray hairs coming in

DSC03087-1-1.jpg

her sire is gray and dam is bay.

i don't have current photos of her i hope this help

very pretty filly
default_biggrin.png

Both HIS parents are black based, and neither are listed as silver, I've seen his dad who definately isn't silver. I guess it doesn't matter, she'll be the color she's going to be and I'll know soon enough, but I can't help but be currious!

MBhorses at what age did the gray start?

And thanks everyone, I think she's pretty special, no matter what color she is!

Yes, she is definately silver bay. As to roan, in order for her to be a roan, at least one parent MUST be roan. Is either parent roan?

Sorry, I thought I mentioned that her dad is red roan, so yes, I know one parent must be roan, but I'm still not understanding silver, doesn't one parent have to be silver? I know it can hide in red, but both her sire's parents are black based and neither are silver. I may just not understand the silver gene, I did alittle reading up on it today and I thought that's what it said.

Sorry, I thought I mentioned that her dad is red roan, so yes, I know one parent must be roan, but I'm still not understanding silver, doesn't one parent have to be silver? I know it can hide in red, but both her sire's parents are black based and neither are silver. I may just not understand the silver gene, I did alittle reading up on it today and I thought that's what it said.
Oh, maybe you did mention he was a red roan, and I missed it. Anyway, if he is in fact a red roan, then he is NOT black based as you say in this post. A red roan is a sorrel (red) horse with the roan gene, so the silver could be hiding there. The silver could also be hiding in the dam, as she is true grey, so even if black based that will hide the silver. A true grey horse with the silver gene often greys much faster, and they are also sometimes referred to as silver-whites. You'll know for sure about her being roan or not at least by the time she is weaned, and likely much sooner.

She's precious
default_wub.png
Congratulations! I'm not sure with minis but from Arabians I remember foals (usually born rich bay or black) having gray hairs around their eyes at a very young age and many of them shedding out to a various shades of gray by 4 - 6 months. I remember looking out over pastures of gray weanlings, with the occasional bay or chestnut
default_biggrin.png

No, I didn't say HE was black based, I said his parents are black based, but not silver. I think I'd be happy w/ a silver bay (I'd be happy w/ anything really, but silver bay would be nice! As would bay, gray, or bay roan!), and I do think now it would be obvious if she was going to be gray, I'd just never had a gray foal, so wasn't really sure.

So now I'm thinking maybe Chrystal is hiding silver, the oldest pics I have of her, she's dappled gray, don't know how fast she grayed, but she has a foal on her in one pic, so she was an adult before going completely white. To my knowledge she's never had a silver foal, so it's kind of nice that I got that little extra from her, epecially w/ my first foal!

Anyway, thanks everyone for your opinions and congrates! I am Very happy, and pleased w/ this little girl! I'm sure I'll post more pics as she grows, and from the pics I've been looking at it shouldn't take long at all for me to see what color she'll be. She may look like a different foal next time I show her off!

MBhorses at what age did the gray start?
And thanks everyone, I think she's pretty special, no matter what color she is!

Hey she is a doll

My filly foal starting graying out at about 4 mos or so. I knew she was going to gray out because she had the google gray hairs around her eyes at birth. I have a friend who has gray stud so she has had several born sorrel, roan, silver dapple and other colors that grayed out.

i have had to foals born here by the same gray sire that started graying as young foals.

i will post the other foal born here half sister to the one i posted eariler.this filly was born jet black she gray out as well. everyone taught she was roan because her back ground,but she also gray out. you can have her tested for $25.00 with animal genetics to know if sure. i have a palomino colt born in 09 by my friends same sire of the two foals i talk to you about. i had this palomino colt test for gray gene, he is neg for gray gene so he will not gray out. you have chance of 50% 50% of the foal graying out if one parent is gray. A horse gray out over a 5 yrs time frame.

DSC01641-1.jpg
black foal that gray out

DSC06932-2.jpg

when my foal that gray out they started graying out around the eyes but they don't always gray out around the eyes first

DSC07239-1.jpg

black foal as a yearling.

GetAttachmentCA1NPBNZ.jpg
palomino colt of mind that has same sire as the the above filly. i had him tested he is neg for gray gene so he will stay palomino. palomino are hard to tell so i had him tested

i also had another filly that i brought that was gray born sorrel to day she has had two foals that stay their color haven't gray out.

i hope this helps. i look all colors including the grays.

i would test her for silver and gray gene to be sure.

Latest posts

Back