My filly is now 11 days old.........

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2Minis

Reaction score
My new filly is 11 days old now........when is okay to clip a new foal?? I am in south Florida where it has been in the 90's and humid. When I love on her she feels really warm which I am sure is natural with all that hair. I would love to be able to clip her to make her more comfy or is it too early????

Thanks in advance!
default_wub.png
:

My filly is now 12 days old and has had her head and neck clipped since she was 2 days old. I plan on doing the rest of her in a few days, just need time.

I had a perlino colt born today and he will be clipped in a few days as well. (I'm in TN).

Here in Southern California it is very hot too. Around here most foals are at least head/necked to help them out as they have very thick foal coats.

My last foal, had bridle path and beard clipped at a day old, head and necked at two days old, and then fully body clipped (kept legs furry) at two weeks old. One month old was fully body clipped for a show. It was in May/June so was very warm even at night and I didn't have to blanket.

Andrea

We clip pretty quick too here, normally by day 4 or 5.

(Also in south Florida)

Word to the wise though, Watch Out for the sun!!

They Will sunburn badly. Had a friend take her young foal to get pictures taken, took her home and threw her out and the poor baby burned pretty badly. Enough so that she now has perm white hairs on her bay back from the damage!

Latest posts

Back