My dog has diabetes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcody

Reaction score
My 9 year old Keeshond, the one in my avatar, has diabetes, and we are waiting for more results as he may also have cushings causing the diabetes. He will need insulin x2 daily. Where is the best and least expensive place to get it? I got today's at Walgreens, because we needed to get it fast and it was getting late, I do not have a ton pf options close as I am rural, but can go to other locations when planned. So, is Costco less expensive (It was $50.00 for u 100) I don't even know how long that will last, he takes 15 units x 2 daily, but we are hoping that will go down as he stabalizes.

Thanks for any help.

Barb

Insulin is expensive
default_sad.png

What "kind" is he supposed to have? I take a long acting insulin (Lantus) 1x a day, and then a fast acting insulin (humalog) before meals.

I'm not sure what the rules are with insurance, but I know I personally have more than I need each month. I just don't order more until I get through a lot of what I have, but I am wondering could you "buddy up" with someone close to you who like me, has some extra they will not be using?

The vet may also have some ideas.

Do you have to check his blood sugar? Those strips are EXPENSIVE (about $1/each for the name brands). If you do and it's the same thing as for people, check out at Walmart. They have "ReliOn" brand of meter and strips which is about $.50/each. I use OneTouch because my insurance covers it but if he has to be tested, and it's the same type of strip as for a person, it will save you about 1/2.

I know there are quite a few diabetics on LB, and maybe some others will have ideas as well as obviously those that have a dog or cat with it.

Good luck. I know big time how important dogs are to their Moms and Dads.

Jill

Jill, right now he is on Humilin N, that may change when we get all the cushing test results back. He is young at 9 years old, so hoping for a good outcome. I do not know anyone who is diabetic. I have never had to deal with insulin on any levels, so thank you for the information. I have a great vet, so I am sure he will work with me. I had no idea how expensive insulin was!

There s a blood monitor for dogs, I have ordered one. I ordered the kit so have no idea how expensive the strips will be when I have to order those, but we do what we need to do.

My 15 year old cat Mikey has diabetes and is also on insulin. I get the insulin from my vet, who seems to have the best price from what I've seen. I asked my vet about the test strips and he said while some people have had success using the strips on their pets, they are not very accurate and the ranges can very quite a bit.

I give him insulin 2x/day along with SQ hydration (for kidney failure). We've had 2 rough episodes lately where I thought I was going to lose him but he's doing GREAT right now!
default_aktion033.gif

Best wishes with your fur-friend.

Liz R.

hey

i get mine at walmart the brand that your dog is on is the same that i take.

it comes in the off brand!!!!! it is Novolin N and it is about 24.00 for a u-100 walmart carries the name brand which is the relion and also you can get the needles there too for about 13.00

hope this help

diane

PS and i dont have any help with mine it is all out of pocket so i have to go the cheaper way!

Thanks hunterridge! He goes back to the vet on tuesday, I am going to ask him about the Novolin N.

Jaz is doing so much better and has only been a few days. Thank you everyone for helping us out.

Back