My Barn Kitty

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fullmoon

Reaction score
I have a barn cat that has gotten into oil. I’m not sure what kind but it is oily to the touch and smells like oil. He must have jumped into something with it because he is covered half way up his side, his whole lower half is soaked. I got a big plastic tub and filled it with water with Dawn (tub is only six inches deep) and was able to get him in it. Some of it came off but not near enough. Can you think of anything else I can do to help this little fellow? He has long hair and is now the most pitiful looking thing. Thanks!

Dawn dish on a toothbrush is the best thing then put him on the water and rinse to death! Poor kitty..last resort take him to a groomer..licking that'll kill him.

I say stick with the Dawn detergent and keep washing him. Dawn is wildlife rescuers use to clean up sea birds after an oil spill, so if it works for them, it'll work for you. You might need someone to help you, so one can hold and one can scrub.

Aww..poor kitty. Can you get in touch w/your veterinarian so they can make a recommend?

Hopefully he didn't already try to lick much of it off, but be aware that he may have ingested some, and you might want to see what they would suggest. I'm sorry to hear about that.

Hope he's ok soon!

Liz

Dawn like the others have said. My vet recommended using Dawn to wash some kittens we had that were too young to put frontline on who got fleas. Apparently there is something about it that will take care of fleas too.

I've given him two bathes now with Dawn and have gotten alot off of him. Poor thing, he's so pitiful looking. My husband is a truck driver and will be home tonight so I think we'll end up taking him to the vet tomorrow. I've got him in the back bedroom right now. I'm afraid that he'd have a hard time staying warm tonight outside since his hair is still kinda oily. Hopefully he has'nt licked it too much.

Try using some goop hand cleaner. I showed Persians for 15 years. Routine was goop put on cat when coat was dry - work in well. Then rinse as well as you can. Then use Dawn and rinse.

Good luck!!!

Barbie

Latest posts

Back