My 11 yo daughter may get to go to Australia!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minisaremighty

Reaction score
new_shocked.gif
Has anybody's child ever participated with this group? They have been around for 50 years. Here's a link: http://www.studentambassadors.org/

She was invited to join, but still has to submit letters of recommendation from two teachers (not a problem, in fact, one will be from our principal) and an adult that knows her well (again, not a problem, we have a couple of really close family friends that would love to do it). Then she has to do a 20 min. interview with the organization.

It's for 20 days, right after school gets out next summer (she'll be 12 by then). The biggest issue is going to be if she feels she can be away from me for that long. She has always had separation anxieties about being away from me. She will have to make up her mind about that before we commit. I hope she decides to go for it. It will be an awesome experience (I've wanted to go to Australia for over 25 years now).

BUT, at the same time, as excited as I am for her, I can't even imagine letting her go by herself (well, without me or my husband
biggrin.gif
)!!! Scares the crud out of me! The longest I've been away from her was when I went to Hawaii for 7 days last Oct., but the kids were all at home with their dad (my awesome hubby), so I didn't worry. This will be totally different, she there and us all here.
new_shocked.gif

My first thought was no way, but then I realized that I was being totally over-protective. There has NEVER, in the 50 years history, ever been any problems on these trips (they do several a year). It's a big honor to be invited (we've found out that very few in our area were).

If your child has traveled to a foreign country with this program or any other, I would love to hear about it.
yes.gif
She is only in the 6th grade!!

First let me say, in my opinion, she is too young. Anyones 12 year old is too young. I have a 12 year old and there is no way!!!!!!!!! Repeat, NO WAY! This is coming from a mother who also has a daughter who at the age of 15 and again at 17 traveled to Europe to play on USA Jr. Tennis Teams. There is a ton of things to factor in, besides the information given to you. So much crud going on in this world, and you are about to thrust a 12 year old into it. There will be situations come up that your child will have to make a decision for themself, because you are not there. Is 12 old enough to make those decisions? Weird things come up too. When my daughter went the first time, when she came home, her flight was threw NY. Well, they had tornados and all flights were cancelled. My 15 year old was STUCK,,,,,in New York, knowing no one! It was taken care of, and I freaked, but let me tell you, if it had been by 12 year old, more than freaking would of gone on.

My first cousin who lives 5 minutes from here, sent her daughter on the exact same trip this past summer. Her daughter was 16. She had looked at the program two years ago, decided she was too young, it was not hard for her to get into the program this time. I do believe your child can get the chance to go at a later time.

What they decided. Yes, it was a good experience, but in their words, not worth the $6000 it ended up costing her to go.

And as for the problems on the trip. They do leave out little things. Like kids being sent home for drinking, etc. They don't report it to furture students and parents unless an arrest or death was involved.

Our oldest grandson went this past summer.......he was just about to turn 15.

He went to Europe and had a great time. Tooks rolls and rolls of photos. It was quite an experience. Albeit a very expensive experience.

His brother, who had just turned 13, went this summer to Holland with a soccer youth exchange. He was only gone 10 days, however and fared the experience well.

With the People to People program, in my mind I 'thought' it was more of a student to student activity. Students from the US meeting with students from the different countries he would visit.......it wasn't that at all. This group just toured together and saw the sights of the countries they visited......the students were from all over the Northwest though.

It's just my perception maybe, but I didn't see it as being an educational trip, it was a fun vacation.

I'm not sure, in my mind, that kids that age need vacations costing that much that don't include the rest of the family.......

Both of my kids have gotten invited to go on People to People trips. I thought it was really exciting at first until I talked to the guidance counselor at their school. He said they regard the group as just money makers so no prestige involved with being chosen.

Fot the amount of money you spend to send them you should be getting more. They won't get to go anywhere or meet anyone different than if you were to take them yourself. For example, my 16 year old nephew was chosen to go to a youth leadership summit in D.C. this summer. The group was given private tours of the White House, met a lot of Senators and congressmen for discussion groups, got to shake hands with the President and Vice President and met a lot of similar kids from all over the US. When he told me about how he and 4 other kids met with Arnold Schwartznegger and talked about getting into politics I thought about what a neat experience it all was. The kids that I know who have gone on the People to People trips get to see a lot of exciting places but they don't really get a feel of the country except as a tourist.

A couple of years ago my son went to Europe playing hockey and I felt that that trip was worth every penny because he got to play against German and Russian teams that were so far superior to the USA team that it was a great experience, especially since he was the goalie and got quite a work out. It wasn't real educational, but he got to ski the Swiss Alps and visit Prague and visit a lot of castles and I'm sure some of it sunk in.

I think 12 is too young to go but don't worry, she will recieve invitations for every year. My kids got them until they graduated. If money isn't an object, and you want her to be exposed to different cultures, send her in a few years. Personally, I would use the money towards a family trip- it would probably mean a lot more and having the memories together would be priceless.

I'm 12, and my mom won't let me get anywhere near those things. I haven't gotten two of those letters, the Austrailia one last year, and a week ago, one for somewhere in Europe. I LOVE to travel, but my mom says no no no. I see where she is coming from, but still want to.. eventually.

Kathy,

Larry and I were very active with AFS (American Field Service) student exchange program about 20 years ago. The students on average are 17 years old (seniors in high school) and the experience is for an entire year. We had two girls -- one from South Afrida and one from New Zealand.

The whole experience was an outstanding one for both girls. One of them, even at age 17, had some initial homesickness.

At age 12, I would think long and hard about it for your daughter....even though it's only for 20 days..... Two reasons -- her physcial age and her emotional age....PLUS the way today's world is - is much different than 20 years ago.....

Now, if she was in high school, I probably wouldn't hesitate -- especially if the program was as well established as both AFS is and Student Ambassadors seems to be.

Just my 2 cents,

Maryann

If you want her to experience culture, try a foreign exchange student in your home. We have hosted 5 exchange students over the years and my 3 children learned so much from them. It really was very nice for our entire family.

When i was 12 I went on People to People and traveled to England Ireland and Wales. It was the best 3 weeks of my life! I had a blast and learned a ton! The trip really helped me to grow up, but in a good way. It might be hard to imagine, I finally realize it now that my sister (who is 11, soon to be 12) is going to Italy and Greece with people to People this summer, but you will be so glad you sent your child, and they will be glad x 100! Good luck to your daughter and to you, especially when it comes to the fundraising
wink.gif
!

Latest posts

Back