Mr Shelby at Nationals Boy, was I ever happy!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virginia

Reaction score
SORRY HIT THE WRONG BUTTON HERE IT IS

Boy, was I ever thrilled my stallion Lil Dude Dandys Mr Shelby went to Nationals this year. My trainer and friend Connie Ballard called me at the beginning of the year and told me about a stallion sired by her Dandy Champion that was for sale. I bought him sight unseen, trusting Connies expertise and keen eye for a good driving horse. At his very first local show, he came home with GRAND Champion in Halter. Connie hadn't finished his cart training. His next show was a learning process and he did show in driving but just couldn't stand still!!!

THEN after more training Connie told me she wanted to take him to Nationals, I had my doubts, but Connie was sure. She's been my trainer for 2 years and I trusted her judgement, so Off they went...! Well on the night of his first class, Connie called me all excited :new_shocked: Mr Shelby had gotten Top Ten in Halter, I was thrilled, Connie was too. Then later that evening I got another call from Connie who was beside herself and so excited she could hardly talk :bgrin I now had a Reserve National Champion in Country Pleasure!!
default_wub.png
: I couldn't even speak. Mr Shelby, in his only second time driving in a show had done the impossible. Connie had worked a miracle with him. I still can't believe it, Reserve National Champion and only his 2nd time in the ring. I love them both.

I had been contemplating giving up showing and reducing my herd by half. Come January, I will be retiring from the GVT and moving to a state where I can afford to live. But now I'm all excited again and have decided though I still have to cut back (can't ship 60 minis to TN $$$) I am selling down to about 40/45 minis and will take them 4 at a time if I have too! It's only 650 miles!!
default_rolleyes.gif
: It's hard to decide who to sell and who to keep, so I've listed them all (almost all) on my web site and after a certain amount sell, I'm keeping the rest and moving west. Looks like TN right now if things go well with the sale of my Farm. (Any one looking to buy a Mini Farm in VA???) I can tell you for sure though MR SHELBY IS NOT FOR SALE!!!

Connie, thank you, thank you, thank you, for being my friend and for having such a wonderfu outlook on life and for all the support in this caotic transition I'm going though.

Ginny StP

shelby2.jpg

mrshelby1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Sounds like you've got yourself the perfect trainer! And the perfect horse!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations! :aktion033: I talked to Connie while she was at Nationals. She sounded like she was as excited as you were as she was definately bubbling over! She is not out to make a buck above being honest & she tells it like it is. I'm glad you trusted her! Isn't it great to have a trainer who is also a trusted friend! :aktion033: Sounds like you have plans to enjoy the boy - Flashy fella there!

im so happy for you and connie! i got to see shelby quite a bit and the first time i saw him i was so shocked over how much he looks just like my tamale! he is quite the handsome little man. congrats

CONGRATULATIONS Ginny!!!! :aktion033: :aktion033:

Shelby is just gorgeous.....and you couldn't have found a better trainer, than Connie! She's a real class act...and definitely knows her horses!
default_yes.gif
:

Congrats!!!!!! That is such a wonderful news!!!! I know u must be so very proud.

ahhh...Ginny...thanks for all your confidence! It has been an incredibly challenging year, loosing my sister, my Mom being gravely ill and Tim's cancer surgery...but I could just see the potential in this beautiful 29.75" stallion. Yes, he's Dandy's son...and I am partial....but aside from that...I could see so much in him that reminded me of his sire NFCs Candy Dandy. They get under themselves so well, come up in the bridle and man...you point them towards an arena where people will see them...and they turn on the charm...they are showmen and thats what makes them so special. Yes, I love the Dandy horses...for their style, energetic athleticism and warm heart. I've trained alot of horses over the past 10 yrs in minis....but must say...Shelby took to the cart like a duck to water. It was funny...first day I hooked him...standing at the arena wall, harnessing him...he took a deep breath...like "well...finally!!!" LOL He'd had alot of groundwork and it was like he was anticipating the cart....pleased that we'd taken that step. I still think he needs a pink set of slinkies...he is like the energizer bunny...yes...29.75" tall...but he will drive and drive...he has the heart of a champion. I look forward to showing him more next year. He is going to make a great addition to your breeding program and the move to Tennessee...eh...just that much closer to Ohio...and my family is from a small town near the Cherokee Reservation...hence...the Cherokee Stables...tee hee! Go Mr. Shelby...he is one cool lil dude...."Lil Dudes Dandy's Mr. Shelby"

Latest posts

Back