moving - cool/cold climate to warm

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saskie

Reaction score
I have a 5 month old mini coming from a climate where snow has already fallen to warm climate averaging 75 to 80 degrees. Am wondering if it is okay to clip my mini? Even before the cool weather she had a 'baby fuzz' type coat.

Appreciate any advice. thanks

Do you stay with those 75-80 degree temps throughout the winter months? If so, then a clip would be ok, but be sure you have blankets for her, just in case the temp drops even for just a few days. If your temps will drop for winter, then I wouldn't clip more than head and neck to keep her cool enough while the temps are still 75-80, but she'll still have most of her coat to keep her warm when winter sets in.

My suggestion would be if you find it necessary to do some clipping use a wide blade#10 or even a #4 for longer hair and go with the grain(the way the hair grows )and not clip all the way to the skin.The horse will look rough but have hair for protection.Better ugly than sick.When warm weather comes you can make her look beautiful.It is so exciting getting a new Mini.Photos please when she arrives.

NO! I am in a warm desert climate and our night time/early morning temps are down in the 40's!! Also if winter storms hit, it's going to be cold and wet. I do not recommend clipping.

I have a 5 month old mini coming from a climate where snow has already fallen to warm climate averaging 75 to 80 degrees. Am wondering if it is okay to clip my mini? Even before the cool weather she had a 'baby fuzz' type coat.

Appreciate any advice. thanks
Thanks to those who responded. I will take the advice not to clip as it does get cool, wet and rainy in the winter months.

Excellent decision... it's hard here right now because the days are still in the upper 80's, but the nights mid 40's and chilly and next week is supposed to be really cooling off more. Its desert here where I am but it does get below freezing in winter, so they still need hair.

When we moved from Minnesota to Florida, we did not clip initially. Some of the horses with heavier coats started to overheat and sweat which conversely could make them cold. We ended up doing a "mini clip" which was chest and belly. leaving their back, head and legs unclipped. It looked funny but was effective. The other problem we had though was that in the warmer climate, they had a much heavier parasite load so we had to worm differently. Their systems aren't used to it. We also had weight loss with the less nutritive hay. In Minnesota, we could get Alfalfa/alfalfa mix for less then the grass hay in Florida. It took months to get them regulated. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back