mosquitos

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We've had a lot of rain the last couple of months and that brings the little monsters out. I've been spritzing my horses with OFF sometimes twice a day. I spray it on my hands to rub on their ears and faces.

I live in mosquito heaven, about a mile from marshlands. They started to show up this weekend and they are voracious. I make sure they have there mosquito born illness vaccinations done early in the season. My new little guy got done just yesterday. I wish it had been a bit sooner, but he's only been here a week. Ticks and mosquitoes, ugh.

They have begun getting bad here and I'm already so sick of them. I've not tried OFF on the horses but I will, it's not much good on me but it may work for them. I really need to rake some leaves away from the house and get things sprayed and fogged.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the OFF works really well on the horses. I think it is Deep Woods Off. One of the horses is especially juicy to the little beggers. And I found a tick in his ear last week. I try to check their ears and tails every day. That's only the third tick I've found this year and they were all on the juicy horse.

I don't vaccinate; it's a gamble either way and I'm choosing to gamble against the heavy metals in the vaccinations. Neither my husband nor I will ever be vaccinated again. I know people feel really strongly about it, one way or the other.

They were shocking here towards the end of last summer, some were so big, I actually thought about saddling one up to go for a ride.

"Off" is great but I found another spray called "bushmans " that also helped.

Only bad thing about the better weather arriving , brings with it the pesky mozzies.

Last edited by a moderator:
can u spray little ones? my 5 day filly had a mosquito on her already!!!

I don't see why one couldn't use the spray on little ones. I spray it on my hands then rub face and ears. I hate them sucking blood out of my horses. Spritz their legs and neck. I buy the Off in the sporting section of Walmart; it has Deet 30 or 40. The lesser Deet % doesn't last very long.

Latest posts

Back