More Questions: Nipping Baby

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollynIvysMomma

Reaction score
It's me again, Margaret!

First, thanks to all who helped me with the feed question. I posted a longer update on that thread, but the short update is: I gots hay, I gots growth feed, and we are on a regular schedule. Their bellies already look better.

Secondly: we haven't hand fed our two girls at all because we didn't want them to nip and nibble. Today for the first time, Ivy started putting on my pants leg with her teeth and catching the edge of my shirt and sleeve and pulling. I told her no, and pushed her away gently.

Do little horses teethe? Is there anything she needs? Is she playing? What's the appropriate response from me?

I'm sorry if I sound dumb! My parents have always had a pony or horse, but these are my first two, and in addition to that, we've never had such young horses, and I'm learning that there is quite the learning curve with babies.

Yup babies teeth. Mine go to town on the boards in their stall for a good while and eventually they quit.

She's mouthing on your probably just to play and get your attention. She needs to know the difference between playing cutesy with you and a horse. You did the right response by shoving her away; just be firm and mean it. Add a big loud NO to that and she'll figure it out.

Margaret first let me say how impressed I am that you are so willing to ask questions and accept the answers without feeling like you are being attacked personally. So many have trouble accepting the advice they ask for when it isn't exactly what they want to hear but you are willing to try changing things up when it is clear that what you are doing isn't getting the results you want.
default_thumbup.gif

I think your response to your little one was just right. At this stage she is just testing to see what is okay and how she should interact with her world (and you are part of that world) If gentle but firmly making her quit doesn't help you may have to begin to be even firmer, only as much pressure as it takes for her to understand you don't care for this behaviour unless she actually bites (there is IMO a noticable difference between a nip and a bite) if she hurts you it is time to act like her momma would have and 'bite' back. Of course not really bite her lol, but when my babies bit they got a loud "Quit!" and a smack on the shoulder. Older babies who keep this up (boys are bad for this sometimes ;) ) get chased off and not allowed to be with me or the herd for a short time.

Thanks! My name is Traci.
default_smile.png
It's Me Again Margaret is a reference to a Ray Stevens song.
default_smile.png

Thank you both for the advice! I thought I knew a lot about horses, bc I grew up reading everything I could find, but I'm realizing there are lots of gaps in my info when it comes to raising them from this age up. I have books on the way, but I don't mind asking questions! You are the experts! I am a teacher, so I know the only way you learn is to ask!
default_smile.png

Thanks again!

You did just perfectly! And as Jane said, well done you for asking!

Baby is learning about the difference of playing as they do with other foals, and learning that you are her human, and she needs to act a little differently with you. You deserve 'space' at times, you don't like to be bitten/nipped, and you won't enjoy having the occassional kick in the field. LOL

You've done beautifully. It's quite normal for them to teeth and nip, and grab at you -- like they would playing with another foal. But all the advice above will gently teach her to respect you as her human.

Latest posts

Back