More on the Appendix Registry - Please read

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronnie

Reaction score
My sincere intent is to see AMHA become an established breed registry and not just a height or "nitch" registry. I believe the American Miniature Horse has matured and evolved through selective breeding to the point where it should be considered as a true breed. True there is still some strong pony influence but that has been, and is being done mostly by serious breeders attempting to improve the breed, and a look back over the show horses from the last ten years or so will quickly show they have been very successful. I also believe that an AMHR registered horse is just as much an American Miniature Horse as an AMHA horse is. If we all face reality they are the same horses and in many cases are registered in both. I am a diehard AMHA guy and have been on the B.O.D. for six years and have just been elected to serve another three years (boy talk about a glutton for punishment), however I have also been an active member in AMHR ever since I got in the business. Janet and I joined both AMHA and AMHR at the same time, registered our farm name with both at the same time, and as a matter of fact of the first three miniatures we ever owned two were AMHR and one was AMHA. I believe that every one of us that owns a miniature horse or even admires miniature horses owe it to each other to make as positive an impact on the “breed†as we can. AMHA and AMHR should complement each other, not be at odds with each other or consider each other as “competitionâ€. The competition should take place in the show ring and everything outside the ring should be done to promote the breed and both AMHA and AMHR, as the driving forces in the American Miniature Horse Industry, should do all in their power to accomplish that worthy goal. The fact that AMHR horses are just as vital to the breed as AMHA is why my original proposal for an Appendix registry would allow AMHR horses in with the proper documentation and fees. My intent with the Appendix Registry is to allow a place for all the AMHA horse that oversize there regular papers to have a place of value in the world of miniatures where they can continue to contribute to the breed as their heritage should allow. I also feel that since this Appendix Registry should recognize all American Miniature Horses by allowing registered AMHR horses to be cross registered into the Appendix and therefore allow them to make their contribution to the breed. It is true that AQHA dose not allow straight Thoroughbreds in to their Appendix but they do allow half thoroughbreds that are half quarter horse and they allow this for the betterment of the breed. AMHR horse are not quite the same because they are not of a different breed as thoroughbred is to the American Quarter Horse, but instead they are already registered American Miniature Horses. They are just registered in another major registry.

I truly believe that AMHA has a unique opportunity to truly establish itself as the world leader in the American Miniature Horse Industry by adopting this Appendix Registry and recognizing the value of all American Miniature Horse and their breeders and owners. By being the world leader I do not mean as an “I am better than you†attitude, but as a “we want to do all we can to lead the American Miniature Horse into the future by offering exemplary service to all members and through cooperation and productive recognition of and dialog with other organizations that strive to promote The American Miniature Horseâ€.

I was one of the people that were dead set against letting horses over 34†into AMHA and for that matter I still am when it comes to the regular AMHA Registry. However I am convinced that an Appendix Registry is the way to go. It preserves the integrity of the regular registry and the encouragement of and value of the 34’ and under horse while allowing us to truly become a recognized breed and allow breeders to utilize other and possibly better bloodlines and genetics in their pursuit of breeding the perfect American Miniature Horse. It should also be fairly easy to implement as it would utilize all of our existing systems and would only require an Appendix denotation of some kind on the papers and a different color paper to make them easily distinguishable. There should be no significant expense to AMHA and no addition expenses to the members. All revenue generated would be from the influx of registrations and memberships and I believe that would be a significant number because I think folks will come back into AMHA in droves.

Ronnie Clifton

AMHA Region 3 Director, and true advocate of the American Miniature Horse

Would people with AMHA-appendix horses be able to show those horses or would they be only for breeding purposes with this proposal?

-Amy

I do not believe AMHA should have an appendix registry but that it should go back to the "Foundation" stock as I stated in a previous post answer. Amha has already had the "Foundation" stock registry and they can just reinstate the program. I, like you Ronnie, believe that AMHA and AMHR horses are all minis and should be considered such. Up until sereral months ago all my Minis were registered in both registries. That is until my "Boogerman" daughter went over 34". At that time her papers were voided. This does not mean that she is no longer a Boogerman dtr. and that she has no pedigree. When she was registered AMHA as a foal there was no question of her parentage and there still should be no question she just got too tall (35 1/2"). I do not think that it is right that because she has no AMHA papers she no longer has a pedigree ---- she does and that will never change. What I don't like is the fact (like many other people) that her foals can't be registered AMHA, only AMHR.

Would people with AMHA-appendix horses be able to show those horses or would they be only for breeding purposes with this proposal?

-Amy
Hi Amy,

Showing Appendix horses would have to be determined sometime down the road after the Appendix Registry is established and up and going with a significant number of horses registered. I believe there may be some real value in offering Appendix classes with no cross-over into the regular classes. It could provide the much needed increase in local show participation and encourage new members. I know a lot of people are opposed to this and while I did state I recommend it be considered, I am not sure myself without a little more research and thought. It is not part of the current Appendix proposal but may need to be addressed latter. To do due diligence we don’t want to “Pork Barrel†to much into any proposal as that tends to confuse the issue and will often kill a good idea. These items should be considered and decided separately. I have heard some say that the other registries don’t let their appendix horses show but if I am not mistaken there are separate classes offered for them and I believe APHA (Paint Horse) does have some BS (Breeding Stock Classes) I may be wrong on this but I am pretty sure either Paint Horse or Appaloosa one does. Anyway this will need some careful and insightful consideration when the time comes.

Ronnie

ronnie

you are a real assest to miniature horses! i applaud all your hard work and your ability to keep an open mind and be open to new ideas. because of you I sent in my amha membership renewal yesterday.

Im really hoping you get this appendix thru!!!

Im behind you all the way!

Kay

Thanks, Ronnie, for really working on this. I love the idea of the Appendix registry. It finally dawned on me we only have four horses over 34" as it is, but I would love to have a way to hardship my AMHR only unders into AMHA. (at a more reasonable cost)

Lucy

I believe APHA (Paint Horse) does have some BS (Breeding Stock Classes) ...

Ronnie
Yes, the APHA fairly recently added Breeding Stock classes to their shows (don't know how long ago it was, but I know I showed my 9 year old BS APHA mare in a halter class as a yearling).

-Amy
Hi Amy,

Showing Appendix horses would have to be determined sometime down the road after the Appendix Registry is established and up and going with a significant number of horses registered. I believe there may be some real value in offering Appendix classes with no cross-over into the regular classes. It could provide the much needed increase in local show participation and encourage new members. I know a lot of people are opposed to this and while I did state I recommend it be considered, I am not sure myself without a little more research and thought. It is not part of the current Appendix proposal but may need to be addressed latter. To do due diligence we don’t want to “Pork Barrel†to much into any proposal as that tends to confuse the issue and will often kill a good idea. These items should be considered and decided separately. I have heard some say that the other registries don’t let their appendix horses show but if I am not mistaken there are separate classes offered for them and I believe APHA (Paint Horse) does have some BS (Breeding Stock Classes) I may be wrong on this but I am pretty sure either Paint Horse or Appaloosa one does. Anyway this will need some careful and insightful consideration when the time comes.

Ronnie
Both APHA and ApHC have breeding stock classes. And the AQHA, Appendix Qtr Horses show in the same classes as the Regular reg Qh.

By the way I fully support this idea, it is so well thought out, I didn't really at first but the more I read the more I like

BRAVO, BRAVO :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

AMHA for 34 and under

AMHA Appendix for over 34's

ALL under the roof of the AMHA

BRAVO.

Let's celebrate the American Miniature Horse of ALL sizes...strive for excellence and support the AMHA.

I am also in favor of the Appendix registry. Along with that,, I would like to see them being able to show in the future after the Appendix registry is established.

I don't really understand the "no horses under 34" thing,, those statments always puzzle me,,as they are already in the registry and they have been shown in the past,, they just slipped under the stick,, somehow or another.

I'm also a long-time member of AMHA and AMHR, and active in our local Iowa Miniature Horse Club. I certainly appreciate your input and research, but I am not in favor of allowing over 34" horses in AMHA........ in any way. There is already a registry for over 34-38" horses in AMHR.

Let's go back to standards: The Standard of Perfection : " Since the breed objective is the smallest possible perfect horse, preference in judging shall be given the smaller horse, other characteristics being approximately equal.

Size: Must measure not more than 34 inches at the withers, at the last hairs of the mane."

I honestly don't understand why there should be an Appendix for horses over 34".

Back