More Mud talk? Boots?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

Reaction score
Our mud woes continue although things ARE improved a good deal with the installation of rain gutters. A simple fix of $100 in materials about 2 hours labor has definitely made a difference.

Stiil, the rains continue and we haven't been able to do the other projects (stone dust/pebbles added to the area, re-grading a couple of areas, etc.), though we hope to do so in the next few weeks.

I fell again tonight in a particularly slick sloped area that I cannot avoid walking in because it's the path to the gate for our dry lot. I'm wearing a boot like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Bogs-Womens-Mattie-Corsage-Orange/dp/B00375LQDA/ref=sr_1_71?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1323226953&sr=1-71 but wiht a higher leg. I do have a second pair like this one (different design). They are great boots in that my feet never get cold or wet. Unfortunately, they have no traction in the mud.

I can't keep falling and putting myself at risk if there's something else out there that would make my "grip" in the mud better. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I love my Bogs here is a pic of what they look like. I haven't tried them in really deep mud yet, but I think they would do well, and are very warm and comfy.

3832-357355-d.jpg

I have the muck brand knee high boots, and I get NO traction in them. I just got them in october, and fall more often when wearing them than wearing my tennis shoes. I have to walk down a grassy hill to get to my barn, so my boots go through the ultimate test. Im getting ready to order some studded strap on traction things for them actually. I got the muck brand because of the great reviews, but in my opinion, at the most, they should be about $40, not $100.

I love my Muck boots. You have to make sure you get the one with the agressive tread on the bottom and not the "field" type boot with very little tread. I get great traction in these. I hate having cold feet and these are the first boots that actually make my feet sweat! I went sledding in these all day without ever getting cold. And for mud there is nothing better (IMO) for traction, warmth, and dryness. I wear these pheasant hunting and march thought cattail bogs in them. Totally worth every penny. Everyone in my family and husbands family has a pair. Seriously, some even have 2.

Just a quick note to add. Mine are the Muck Master High. They are on the farm and ranch work section of the link Lewella posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the pink and blue plaid boots from wal-mart. I use them in the mud, snow and ice. I have never slipped using them. I use a size 7.5 in regular shoes so I get a size 9 in the boots. That allows for socks and to slip them on and off with ease. I love them.

Finally this year, I sprang for the 90.00 pair of MUCK boots. I have been through just about every type of boot out there but let me tell you, these boots are amazing. I cannot believe that I haven't bought a pair of these before. They are amazing. They are warm, have great traction and are totally waterproof. I will never be without a pair. And from what I hear, they last pretty much forever!

For years I had my boots suctioned off my feet in the mud! But worse than that was me slipping and falling down in the mud and from the ice and snow every day. Finally one day I fell so hard that I made a big hole in the ground. Hus had to call a wrecker and a bulldozer and it took all that plus three tractors to get me out.
default_frusty.gif

Actually I was seriously busted up every winter with the mud, ice, and snow. I busted more body parts than I could count year after year. Finally we had a load of chat and gravel delivered one spring and made me some walk paths in every direction from the main barn to all the pasture gates and I have been completely unscathed every since. I could not do without them. And oh! No more need for backhoe service!

Go for the Muck Boots!
default_yes.gif
The Chore Boot has a great tread and they are on sale right now! $89.95 for the 12in high ones and shipping is free! Hus got some for his brothers for Xmas because we love them so much.

I've had both the Muck and Bogs, both nice & warm but the Mucks might have had a little more traction. Ran across a website called winterwalking.com with a variety of non-slip products that might work. I have a pair of wire things that stretch over the bottom of your boots for ice, can't think of what they are called at the moment, might work for mud too but they would get pretty gummed up. Falling is no fun, I did a slide the other night with a stack of feed buckets and an armload of hay. Managed to not spill the grain lol, but had a heck of a time standing up again without losing it.

Jan

I have the cheap $19.00 rubber boots that come up to your knee's, however, I cut about a good 4" off the top as I didn't like them coming up that high. They are not glamerous but they do the trick. I normally wear very thick socks with them and that helps for some cushion and warmth.

I did wear some of the muck boots at a friends house and oh my, like walking on clouds! I just can't bring myself to spend $100 + on those type of things. I can think of 100 other things I could do with the $100 .......but I am a major cheapo when it comes to justifying "my" comforts...

Thanks everyone for the input!! Marty, you crack me up!!!

Worse than falling is the slipping....I have a bad knee and whenever I slip, I "tweak" it. I'm going to eventually need surgery down the road but will end up having that happen sooner if I don't stop slipping like crazy!!!

Until I can get out and check out some options locally, I'll keep sending out the boy to help me. He bounces better
default_laugh.png

I have the cheap $19.00 rubber boots that come up to your knee's, however, I cut about a good 4" off the top as I didn't like them coming up that high. They are not glamerous but they do the trick. I normally wear very thick socks with them and that helps for some cushion and warmth.

I did wear some of the muck boots at a friends house and oh my, like walking on clouds! I just can't bring myself to spend $100 + on those type of things. I can think of 100 other things I could do with the $100 .......but I am a major cheapo when it comes to justifying "my" comforts...
So am I Leeana but I'll never again be without a pair of Mucks again! I'd heard everyone talk about wearing the same pair for 4 years or more and broke down and figured out how much I'd spent on cheaper boots that had ripped or cracked in the past 4 years. Guess what - it was more than a pair of Mucks cost! That's how I finally justified it and now 4 years later I'm still wearing the same Mucks and still loving them.
default_yes.gif
Watch for sales on the site I posted and you can get them with free shipping and well under $100 too!

Finally this year, I sprang for the 90.00 pair of MUCK boots. I have been through just about every type of boot out there but let me tell you, these boots are amazing. I cannot believe that I haven't bought a pair of these before. They are amazing. They are warm, have great traction and are totally waterproof. I will never be without a pair. And from what I hear, they last pretty much forever!
Well, my Muck boots have lasted longer than other brands I've bought, but I did have to buy a new pair this year. Partially to get the right pair for how cold we get in winter and partially because my first pair is starting to get cracks across the top of the foot; after two years use. I only wear them in winter, as they are too warm in summer, even the pair that isn't warm enough for our winter; but nothing survives working in cow manure excessively long, the acids in the cow manure just eat stuff up.

Look at the Muck commercial grade boot. You will have plenty of traction. I love mine. If you spend the money now on good outdoor barn wear going out in the cold will be no problem. The insulated women's outfits at TSC by Schneiders? Are perfect for cold days. It seems like a lot to spend at first but you will be able to take the cold for hours between to boots and overalls.

So am I Leeana but I'll never again be without a pair of Mucks again! I'd heard everyone talk about wearing the same pair for 4 years or more and broke down and figured out how much I'd spent on cheaper boots that had ripped or cracked in the past 4 years. Guess what - it was more than a pair of Mucks cost! That's how I finally justified it and now 4 years later I'm still wearing the same Mucks and still loving them.
default_yes.gif
Watch for sales on the site I posted and you can get them with free shipping and well under $100 too!
I don't know. I have the cheap $24 plaid boots from wal-mart as I said before. I have had my first pair for 5 years. I also use them when washing a horse or mucking a stall. It doesn't have to be mud, snow or ice out there. The only reason I got a new pair is my dog got them when she was a puppy and chewed the top edge and I didn't want to take them to a horse show to use when I gave baths cause she made them look ratty.

Latest posts

Back