More Educational Resources Available

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RhineStone

Reaction score
I put a couple of new PDFs on my website. One covers the use and construction of a driving apron. The other deals with what to do when a driving accident happens. The later resource I recently developed and used at a club pleasure (trail) drive for a short educational topic during lunch.

http://rhinestone-ridge.wikispaces.com/Cart+and+Harness+Education

Are there other topics you would like me to research and write on?

Myrna

Just want to say thanks for all this information. I was just wondering how to clean my new harness. It has been years since I had to clean any tack. Now I know what to use.

Myrna, those are great! I particularly like the one which addresses how to deal with an accident . Very clear and easily understood by anyone who reads it at any level of driving IMO. Thanks for taking the time to help educate us all.

I really like all of your articles. Thank you.

You've asked for some ideas on what else - how about detailing, w/ pictures, different types of harness? Since you are so good at this!

Same as above - w/ driving vehicles.

I know that you can only scratch the surface w/ vehicles and harness that are available, but that would be a start. I felt pretty darn silly at first - watching 6 ponies in the ADS driving class last Thursday and had to ask what two of the vehicles were (bird in hand - country gigs is what I was told)... BEUATIFUL

You've asked for some ideas on what else - how about detailing, w/ pictures, different types of harness? Same as above - w/ driving vehicles.
Good idea. I only have but one type of harness anymore, but if people want to send me photos of their fine harnesses and harnesses with wrap straps, I can put something together. I can take detail photos of different vehicle parts as well. It may take a while, though.

When you said "detailing", I also thought of detailing a carriage, like cleaning it. I haven't covered that yet, either.

I would love to do one on whip use, too.

Any other ideas?

Myrna

RhineStone said:
Good idea. I only have but one type of harness anymore, but if people want to send me photos of their fine harnesses and harnesses with wrap straps, I can put something together.
I would say there's traditionally four types of harness- draft, carriage, fine and racing, with different quality levels of each available. Wrap straps can fall under either fine or carriage depending on the overall construction of the rest of the harness.

Myrna, I would love to learn more about carriage maintenance for both marathon and pleasure-type vehicles. I am so mechanically clueless!
default_wacko.png
How about safe ways to ship and store your carts?

Leia

I second Leia's suggestion about cart and carriage maintenance. That would be MOST appreciated! Great job, Myrna!

I would say there's traditionally four types of harness- draft, carriage, fine and racing, with different quality levels of each available. Wrap straps can fall under either fine or carriage depending on the overall construction of the rest of the harness.

Myrna, I would love to learn more about carriage maintenance for both marathon and pleasure-type vehicles. How about safe ways to ship and store your carts?
Good suggestions re: vehicle maintenence, storage, and shipping. I will work on it.

I agree there are many more different styles of harnesses, but considering that our website is pretty much devoted to carriage driving, I figured I would focus on the parts normally used by carriage drivers with a branch into harnesses used by the majority of mini drivers. To focus on all types of harnesses would be a book!
default_laugh.png

I do wish I started this project when my horses were less fuzzy, though. My lighter horses (ones that aren't dark like a harness and therefore easier to illustrate with) are on the verge of teddy bears! It would be hard to get good photos without all that hair in the way! I might have to do the vehicle maintenence article this winter, and wait until spring for the harness parts.
default_yes.gif
Or I could just take photos in the tack room and not on the horse. I'll have to think about it.

I will let you all know when I have it posted.

Myrna

Latest posts

Back