MOD.PLEASE DELETE,TY

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you thought about getting a written contract done? I would get one and then save all reciepts of your horse related purchases and document everything they use. There's no way even the lawyer could refute that.

I've tried that. They keep telling me there is no reason for a witten contract or paper trail of any sort.

Yikes-well if the wife is a lawyer they are just trying to pull a fast one. There is absolutely no reason they should NOT want a contract, especially if you do all the writing. Write one up and tell them you need it signed.

yes! This is a sticky situation as that reason right there. Shes not mean at all, and easly able to talk to but when it comes to money I am very leanient on being paid back and its no ones fault but my own. It took them 6 weeks to give me $80 for their half of the vet bill for a blind filly we bought. (shes co-owned) They dont have a house payment and they eat out about nightly, they have 2 boys. I understand family time but I was raised you feed your horses and pay your bills before any extra "fun"

There's such a thing as "extra fun"? Lol! Raised the same way here, that's why i've never heard of such a thing
default_smile.png

LOL I am glad someone understands. We havent went out to eat in about 6 months! The BF is a good man.
default_smile.png
He works very hard, We are really close to getting out own house so this isnt going to go on much longer. We need 20% down which we have about 12-15% and to find a house we like. We've found a couple not their is always something wrong with them

Yes Diane! Thanks exactly what I was planning on doing. Parting as "friends". I've talked to my vet about this situation and come up with a solution with hay cubes and a complete feed to make the horses full and happy, and the vet and myself. thanks for all advice!

This isnt to be rude, but I dont think you should worry about them having two boys, OR how often they eat out. Im my area, you would be paying about $100+ PER mini to do selfcare board, where you supply all of your own hay grain and shavings, clean your own stall, and feed your own horses. At the 5 horses you have, that would be a minimum $500 a month, plus the expenses of feed, hay, and shavings. Oh, and boarding barns around me dont allow you to board stallions, the ones who do are extremely expencive. They let you keep your horses there for free when they could be renting them out as self care stalls and making a $500 income a month. Do you use their water to water your horses? Electric for the lights, or even fencing? Utilities to run a barn and upkeep are expences too, its not that your horses are just there and cost them nothing because their home is paid for. Maybe the horse they gave away they thought would eat more than $100 worth of hay and grain before it sold, and it was better to cut the loses. To be honest, if that was their thinking, they were probably right. I used to self care board my horses, and I did clean stalls to cut costs down. I cleaned 10 big horse stalls a day, plus my horses stalls. I paid $70 a month for my horses board, each, plus feed, hay, and shavings.

I guess what irked me off was after you said you keep your horses there free, you complained about how often they go out to eat. Maybe they think that since you live with your boyfriends parents and dont have a mortgage you should be able to afford board on your horses, I couldnt tell you for sure. I myself would eat the cost of the hay they used, because board anywhere else is going to cost you a whole lot more.

As far as hay replacements, I like TNT chops. Its like alfalfa cubes, that arent compressed into cubes. I have fed it before as a sole hay source with no issues. Its not ideal, but in a pinch, its worked. I can dump a bag in a nice sized tupperware and it fits in the car. I do it at shows often. TSC also sells the compressed bales of hay, in my area they are $18 a bale. I think the extra money you pay for any hay substitute is going to cost more than the amount of hay they are using over their allotted share.

On another note, you could get a metal trash can, store your cubes or compressed bale in there, and put a lock on it. If they ask about it say its special hay for your horses and locked incase critters would get in it Could even say X critter is attrached to the "insert ingredient" and I didnt want them to open the can

I understand that but WE built the fence at our cost and stalls as well. They were suppose to pay us for the fencing which was built ths past spring, they still havent paid for that. They have a 10x12 stall and the rest are make shift stalls as the rest of the barn isnt completed. my BF is the one who went and bought the fencing and stall material and put it up at OUR cost.

i was complaining about them going out to eat all the time because they make plenty of money but they can go out to eat but not pay me what they owe me? I am currently out of a job right now raising a 3 year old ( not my bfs son) and meeting my sons dad every other weekend half way, which is an 1.5hr drive one way. I buy my items in bulk because it saves money and it irks me because they cant afford to pay me back for the things they use but they sure can eat out all the time? They dont have a house payment because they dont own their house. Her husbands boss does so he makes the payment.

Also, I am not worried about the hay they used, its the fact they sold what was half mine behind my back. Hay and Grain. I didnt get my half the money for it. hay is $10-15a square bale and $100+ for a round bale.So yes, this does bother me as prices are sky high and I dont have the money to go and replace my hay that I already purchased for them to turn around and sell it.

I want to make note that I didnt start this post as a bashing to or for anyone. Myself, the people I board with or anyone else. I was mearly explaining my situation and trying to figure the best solution out for a hay replacement if there was one. I am getting ready to start a job soon ( thank goodness) So yes, money is tight and this is a very stressful situation for me. I am in NO way WHINING as I was told. I am not trying to be rude but if you dont have anything nice to say as this was posted FOR ADVICE, DONT POST.

Last edited by a moderator:
My apologies for using the word "whining"... It's just frustrating to a lot of us who post advice for the benefit of the thread starter (we could just do other things with our time) and every single person who offers an idea immediately gets their advice turned down for some reason or another over and over and it then seems like a hopeless situation.

We are never exactly in the shoes of other posters so we can't possibly know the situation... And there are two sides to every story.

I won't stop posting because I am always hoping my advice can help someone, even if its a non member reading along.

Maybe you aren't willing to find a place to stash your hay for one reason or another but it might be a viable option for someone in a similar situation.

I don't imagine it is a matter of "they can't afford it" when it comes to paying you back--they simply see no need to. You don't push for them to give you the money, and if you do it seems you think that they will get crabby over it and give you hassle that might force you to make other arrangements for your horses--and so they know you won't push to get the money from them. They are deliberately taking advantage of you--nothing to do with them not being able to afford it.

Since they are just renting the property I don't imagine they have any interest in paying you for a share of the fencing--that's just the way people are. Believe me, I know how difficult it can be to get any $$ out of some people, even when they SAY they will pay you the money!

But--sounds like you have figured out something to fix your feeding situation, so that is a good thing.

Jill- that was my thoughts too but It just feels weird giving them a bunch of "grain" and no roughage?

The complete pellets actually do have a lot of roughage and fiber. We use two different ones here. One is 18% fiber, and the other is 20% fiber
default_yes.gif
Plus, there is very little waste with complete pellets. They get just about everything out of them, where with hay, there can be a significant amount wasted, depending on the quality.

I feel for you because I was in a boarding situation more than once where my stuff was always disappearing too. I have no patience for thievery and my hard earned dollars were for my horses and no one elses. But places to board were sparse so I had to put up with it for a while until something better came along.

So as it stands now, you say you own 50 bales in the loft. Ok, get some very large tags and put your name on them with a black magic marker and tie one tag to each bale of hay on the hay string to identify it. And then get yourself up on that loft and move your hay to a certain spot so it will not all be together and keep track of it daily. I would not let 50 bales of hay of mine be stolen in front of me in the dead of winter and not provide it for my horses. Do the same with your shavings. Label them with your name "BRIARWOOD ONLY" Then get to work and find another place and take all your stuff with you.

And I know you don't want to hear this but you may consider selling out until you are in a better position to control things. But no matter what, I wish you well and hope things turn out for you very soon.

I feel for you because I was in a boarding situation more than once where my stuff was always disappearing too. I have no patience for thievery and my hard earned dollars were for my horses and no one elses. But places to board were sparse so I had to put up with it for a while until something better came along.

So as it stands now, you say you own 50 bales in the loft. Ok, get some very large tags and put your name on them with a black magic marker and tie one tag to each bale of hay on the hay string to identify it. And then get yourself up on that loft and move your hay to a certain spot so it will not all be together and keep track of it daily. I would not let 50 bales of hay of mine be stolen in front of me in the dead of winter and not provide it for my horses. Do the same with your shavings. Label them with your name "BRIARWOOD ONLY" Then get to work and find another place and take all your stuff with you.

And I know you don't want to hear this but you may consider selling out until you are in a better position to control things. But no matter what, I wish you well and hope things turn out for you very soon.

Thanks Marty for the advice. I am to totally sure how many bales are left up in the loft but I know half of whats there is not mine. We went in halfs on hay because at the time ( 12-$15) divided by 2 was MUCH cheaper, I know you get half the product but at the time it wasnt a "yours' & "mine" situation, it was an "ours" situation. Then things started to get out of control. I can mark my name on whaever I please of myown and they dont care, they use it ayway. Thats why i started storing things in my SUV.

On the other hand, I could sell out for now as finding another boarding facility is highly impossible right now. Prices are sky high ($500 and up per one self care horse) Usually they're like $100. I could send my mares and pinto stallion to my grandparents but I'd feel pretty guilty if I did so as grandpa is 85 and grandma despises snow LOL. (Must be a woman thing) She also just had knee sugury so I couldnt do that to them right now. Also, at this point in life we're so close to getting our own place selling out now would be pointless. Its easier to spare the heart ache and bite the bullet being as close as we are.

I do want to make it clear though that theses are GREAT people. But, they havent gotten sunk in that friendship ends at business.

When we only did complete feeds, or complete feeds plus soaked hay cubes, we did have chewing issues. Right now, we do hay 1x a day and complete pellets 2x a day. Working well.

Latest posts

Back