Missing my boy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeannie B

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Reading Bill's post about his beloved Patty Twink's passing made me think about losing my Cal.

I still have a hard time even taking about it.

Last month on July 14th I lost my beautiful min Cal.

I noticed the day before that Cal wasn't eating his supper with my other horses Casey and Bucky.

He was laying in the paddock and I thought he was just relaxing and feeling the heat that day but he eventually went into the barn with the others.

When he came in off the pasture a few hours before he drank water just like always so I never suspected anything.

That night when it was just getting dark I checked on him and found him in the barn laying on his back with his legs in the air. I called the vet right away and got Cal to his feet. The vet told me to give him oil and Pepto and walk him. She said she would call me back in an hour to see how he was.Within an hour Cal was back to his old self again. He passed gas and began playing with Casey and Bucky. I watched him for a couple of hours and was sure he would be fine.

The next morning I found him in the paddock laying on his back again and in real pain. I called the vet and she was here within an hour. She did everthing she could to try and help him. She gave him oil, the grren stuff for upset stomachs, sryringed water into him and gave him something for the pain. We even ran a hose over him to try and cool him down from the extreme heat wave we were having. We noticed how bloated he was and seemed to be getting bigger.

Once the pain meds took effect the vet had to leave on another emergency but came right back within a couple of hours. Cal once again started trying to go down and rolling to his back. The vet returned and tubed him and gave him more pain meds.

She also thought that he looked even more bloated than he did when she was here earlier.

I knew in my heart that my Cal was not going to pull out of this and I told the vet that if she thought there was no hope that she needed to tell me so, so I could let my Cally go. The vet told me that she would and kept trying to help him. The vet worked on him for what seemed like hours and finally told me that she felt Cal was not getting better but in fact getting worse and that it was time to let him go.

I still have a problem with making that decision as I kept praying he would pull out of it. My Cal never got sick and was the strong one I thought.

My husband was the one who helped the vet let Cal go. I just couldn't bare to see him go.

Later after he was gone the vet came to me and told me that she thought I should go and say goodbye to him. I didn't think I could as I was pretty upset but she thought that it would some how help me.

I did however get up the courage and said goodbye to my dear friend. I kissed him on his mussel and told him how much I loved him.

We layed my Cally to rest on our friends farm not far from here. I want to have a plaque made for Cal and plant a tree in his memory.

I wrote this little verse for him.

I loved to watch you run and play,

With your friends there at your side,

You had a special spirit Cal.

That filled my heart with pride.

Today I cried remembering you,

Tomorrow I'll smile for the same reason.

Thanks for letting me share.

I am soooo sorry to hear about your boy. :no: I sat in tears reading your post. My heart goes out to you.........

Last edited by a moderator:
This is so poignant. I am so sorry for your loss....

Please know my thoughts are with you, these pangs of grief sure seem to hit us sometimes when we least expect it, but you need to know they will be with you though try to temper them with the loving, happy memories of your time together to ease the pain....

You did all you could for him...

Liz M.

I am so very sorry for your loss. We lost his dam last year, too.

I'm so sorry my dear..I understand how it is and that you are stilling feeling the pain.I lost my little mini Daschsund last Feb at the age of 17 and sometimes it catches me offguard and I cry..

It just takes time, be it a dog or a horse or a human , all grief is the same!

Bless you,

Maxine

I am so sorry......I'm all choked up as I read this.
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back