Minis going through slaughter auction on Monday

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Horses cannot be slaughtered for human consumption in the US, but it's my understanding that they are still being slaughtered for pet food? As well, they can be transported to Canada and Mexico for slaughter. As far as I know US horses are still being slaughtered in Canada; I'm not sure the numbers have increased any since the US plants were closed. Mexico I understand has seen a huge increase in numbers of horses being shipped south of the border for slaughter.

As for sending horses into Canada for slaughter, I believe that there are exemptions for slaughter bound horses. They do not need coggins or the usual international health papers as long as they are being shipped directly to the slaughterhouse. I'm not sure if they pay the usual tax on these horses or if that too is waived. I'd point out, though, that if a Mini were being shipped into Canada for slaughter, if the 5% GST has to be paid, that's not very much on a $100 Mini. A whole $5!

I'm curious about the initial posting. It's mentioned that if everyone were to get together & donate money, perhaps more than the 20 horses could be rescued. It seems the rescue can haul 20 horses in their trailer. If they were to collect enough money to rescue 25 or 35 in total, who will transport those additional horses. I can't tell from the posted info if they just want money to rescue the 20, or do they want to rescue more of them?

This reminds me of the PMU rescues, where you pay $1500 to rescue some PMU foal from an awful fate...yet here at "the source" we can buy PMU foals for $150 to $300 in many cases (and that may be generous, I'm not sure what they are bringing at the local auctions or even how many of them actually end up at the local meat sales any more. To me going to the local sale & buying a foal for $150-$200, that is rescuing a PMU foal. Paying $1500 for one from a rescue is buying a foal. Likewise, when there are so many Minis that need rescuing all over the country, my idea of rescuing on is to go to a local sale and buy one there.

More power to rescue efforts such as this one, but it must be realized that with so many Minis needing help more or less on our own doorsteps, no matter where we live, it's hard to most of us to get too enthused about sending money to help someone else somewhere else buy up some horses they want to buy.

From what I have heard don't know how true the horses often go to slaughter in Mexico and Canada from the Iowa sale barns. I may be wrong but I think that horses can not be slaughtered in the US but can be transported to Canada and Mexico.

I think this is true. Wasn't there a double deck trailer load of draft yearlings that were supposed to be headed to slaughter in Canada when they had an accident and a bunch of them were killed? It happens all the time.

I have one other thing to say.

Rather than worry about rescuing some poor unfortunate horse lets make sure that this kind of thing can not happen in the future. If we continue to buy these horses from auction, then people will continue to send them.

We should be educating the public that Miniature horse breeding is not a for profit business. How many people got into breeding and are into breeding Miniatures to make money? On one of the other Miniature Web sits last year, there was a question about how many people were into Minis for breeding purposes, virses having them as pets only or into showing them. The overwhelming response was that they were into it for breeding.

While out on the road last year, coming home from a Miniature Horse show, I pulled into a truck stop. My trailer informs the public that I have Miniature Horses on board. This trucker came up to me and wanted to know how much money I made breeding the little horses. As he had been told there was a lot of money in breeding Miniature Horses. I let him know that there was NO money to be made and in reality, a lot of money spent. :DOH! :DOH!

If you take care of your horses properly, with good feed, vets bills, hoof care, suppliments, regular worming, proper shelters and fencing. If you have the equipment needed to keep the farm as clean as possible from manuer. Then, you are not making any money on these horses. Especially if you show them.

Because there are so many people not giving the proper care to these horses and do not care that they go to good homes, that is why we have so many going to slaughter. The excessive breeding needs to stop if we are ever going to eliminate this problem.
default_frusty.gif
default_frusty.gif

i know a person that use to buy from Calona & every load had a bunch of horses coming down with Strangles.

I just have another thought here, not intended to be sarcastic, just to make you think. If these horses are to go back to PA and be held here for their adoptive parties to pick them up, a rescue doesn't have to travel that far to get minis that need serious care.

There is a horse auction held every Monday right here in PA. It is one of the largest east of the Mississippi. There are minis and ponies there every week. While I don't support buying from these sales, I do not aim that hostility towards the rescues. They do deserve a pat on the back for what they do.

Point being, why add to the expenses of travel/transport when that money can be applied directly to the animals care if it was recued in their own back yard?

Many of these animals will/do end up Canada also, Pa isn't that far from Canada, just up through New York.

"Point being, why add to the expenses of travel/transport when that money can be applied directly to the animals care if it was recued in their own back yard?"

Maybe because they don't see anyone closer stepping up to the plate?

Any group that performs a rescue in my opinion, should be applauded. Yes, traveling far adds considerably to their costs, but if they are able to do it, I am not one to criticize.

I checked out this group on GuideStar and looked at their tax returns for the last few years. They are legit in my opinion.

FYI

First of All ac4h is a legitimate rescue who has worked with CMHR in the past. Their heart is in the right place. This auction in Iowa is either a weekly or monthly auction and ac4h can only go there once a year. Some rescued is better than none. Kristin, a BOD of CMHR has volunteered her time and 16' trailer to go to this Auction and will acquire as many minis as possible. The funding for this is coming from North East Miniature Horse Club and Rescue. (thank you Cindy Moses) The minis will be brought to Kristins farm in Kansas and evaluated, vet checked and will be put up for adoption through CMHR.

For those of you that think the original request was a scam or that $350 for adopting a rescued mini is too high a price to pay, you are wrong. Think about it before posting your opinions. While each individual mini or horse rescued may not cost a rescue that amount others cost a fortune in transport costs, feed, wormings, farrier care and the biggie VET COSTS. (Not to mention all the time and trouble invested by rescue individuals who daily care for these animals) Do you expect a rescuer to foot all these bills then turn the horse over to you for free? Ok off my soapbox.

If any of you are going to Iowa to help rescue, here is how Kristin and Jack can be identified. Both will be wearing red sweatshirts, and possibly a denium jacket. Kristin is blond, will be wearing a beige baseball cap with I think Wind Song? on it, Jack will be wearing a black cap with a Tobasco Logo and has a white mustache.

We will keep you posted on what happens tomorrow.

Ginny St Pierre, President CMHR

Think about it before posting your opinions.
Ummmm.... so people should only voice their opinions and concerns if they are the "right" ones? That is what that sounds like. I applaud any rescue group's efforts - but sometimes one can find animals in equal need closer to home.

BTW - it is not worth any dealer's time or expense to buy minis to haul to Canada for slaughter. As others have noted, they are simply not big enough to bother with considering all the fees, expenses etc.

I think this is true. Wasn't there a double deck trailer load of draft yearlings that were supposed to be headed to slaughter in Canada when they had an accident and a bunch of them were killed? It happens all the time.
That load was headed to a sale/auction in Minnesota I believe - not across the border.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Ginny -

Tried to PM you but wouldn't go thru. I'm one of your CMHR members in Iowa. I've been to this sale if we are talking Kalona, IA. There is no Colona, Ia to my knowledge.

It's been a couple of years since I've been, but I did find it to be a sad place. Minis and ponies may not be getting hauled for kill at this point in time since they have to haul them further but when I went I know plenty were. And even if they aren't right now I would still venture to guess traders are still loading all size and all conditions of loose horses onto open trailers to be hauled across the country.

The minis and ponies that end up with this rescue will be some of the luckier ones there, that's for sure.

I e-mailed the rescue but didn't hear back - I'm sure they are plenty busy right now!

Renee

([That load was headed to a sale/auction in Minnesota I believe - not across the border.

)

There was a load of about 40 Minis that went through a Minnesota auction last November from one place. There were over 80 Minis and pony's at this auction. You will be happy to know they all went for over $100 or more each and to homes. None went to slaughter. Some actually brough in a couple of thousand dollars.

I am glad to know that this is a legitimate rescue organization that is doing this and that CMHR will be helping out some of the minis too.

BTW - it is not worth any dealer's time or expense to buy minis to haul to Canada for slaughter. As others have noted, they are simply not big enough to bother with considering all the fees, expenses etc.
Just wanted to say my thoughts exactly , as I have known several killer buyers over the years and they just will NOT mess with the smaller ponies or Mini's as they are just not big enough for them to deal with <<<Thank Goodness for them >>>

We have a once month sale about 30 miles from us and there are always Killer buyers there , and always ponies of some sort going thru
default_new_shocked.gif
and they NEVER buy them..

So hopefully these ponies and mini's will find a home that can afford to feed them , which I know that with the world in the state it is in now there are lots of starving animals and Heck people for that matter..

But with the chance of getting of Flamed here )(((( But I have my big Girl Panties On..
default_biggrin.png
I would much rather put one down then let it starve to death if there was no other way !!! As starvation is a cruel way to let anything die.. There have been many times that I would buy feed or Hay instead of things I needed , as a ANIMAL DOES NOT ASK TO BELONG TO A HUMAN
default_no.gif
HUMANS CHOOSE THEM !! And owning a ANIMAL OF ANY KIND IS A LUXURY , AND IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO HAVE LUXURY ITEMS DON'T INCLUDE A ANIMAL IN YOUR LIST OF THINGS TO OWN..

Ok done with my Soap box for the Night :DOH! :DOH! Thanks for letting me voice my opinion. Ok fire away I am
default_xreiter.gif
default_xreiter.gif
default_xreiter.gif
default_xreiter.gif
default_xreiter.gif
default_xreiter.gif
<<LOL>>>

No flaming here for I agree with what you say, for the most part. If a person has animals they are responsible for their welfare and if a person can't be responsible than they should not have them. Account ability has to be there when we choose to bring animals into the world that could be tough for them. It can take a lot to provide for their safety and well being and no one should deny them that. Mary

Just wanted to say my thoughts exactly , as I have known several killer buyers over the years and they just will NOT mess with the smaller ponies or Mini's as they are just not big enough for them to deal with <<<Thank Goodness for them >>>

We have a once month sale about 30 miles from us and there are always Killer buyers there , and always ponies of some sort going thru
default_new_shocked.gif
and they NEVER buy them..

So hopefully these ponies and mini's will find a home that can afford to feed them , which I know that with the world in the state it is in now there are lots of starving animals and Heck people for that matter..

But with the chance of getting of Flamed here )(((( But I have my big Girl Panties On..
default_biggrin.png
I would much rather put one down then let it starve to death if there was no other way !!! As starvation is a cruel way to let anything die.. There have been many times that I would buy feed or Hay instead of things I needed , as a ANIMAL DOES NOT ASK TO BELONG TO A HUMAN
default_no.gif
HUMANS CHOOSE THEM !! And owning a ANIMAL OF ANY KIND IS A LUXURY , AND IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO HAVE LUXURY ITEMS DON'T INCLUDE A ANIMAL IN YOUR LIST OF THINGS TO OWN..

Ok done with my Soap box for the Night :DOH! :DOH! Thanks for letting me voice my opinion. Ok fire away I am
default_xreiter.gif
default_xreiter.gif
default_xreiter.gif
default_xreiter.gif
default_xreiter.gif
default_xreiter.gif
<<LOL>>>

From what I have heard don't know how true the horses often go to slaughter in Mexico and Canada from the Iowa sale barns. I may be wrong but I think that horses can not be slaughtered in the US but can be transported to Canada and Mexico.

About the double decker trailer. We actually know the person that was having the horses hauled. I think the whole story is getting way out of line, but here are a couple of basics. This guy did and maybe still does buy for slaughter, but he also buys good horses, breaks them sells them, raises his own, basically a jocky. The news has said that type of trailer is illegal for hauling slaughter horses, but these horses were indeed young stock that he bought and was transporting them to another sale. I am not a close friend of his, but have known him for years. I would personally say if a jocky bought my horse I would feel the most comfortable with him. He does care about the horses and does treat them well. Most don't. If the guy driving the truck wouldn't have gotten in an accident, there would never have been an issue as he was within weight regulations.

To add to Belinda's comments. Some things to consider - from a Slaughter dealer's perspective, minis and small ponies are to full size horses from a slaughter perspective as a sparrow is to a chicken.

In the world of a slaughter dealer, many will go from sale to sale. Often they will purchase a mini or pony for resale at another sale - so a mini purchased for 10.00 at one sale in the north- is resold in the south at for 50 or 60 the following week. Even a 40 or 50 dollar profit each on 3 or 4 minis will pay for their gas expenses. Because minis are more economical to keep, they will often buy a few to keep in their "slaughter" pens for resale. I knew of one slaughter dealer and he was well known as a dealer - and he would buy a couple in his words - of cute ponies during the sale - as he knew later he would be approached by someone at the end of the sale in an emotional plea to save it from going to slaughter and thus he would make a few bucks. Small minis, ponies are also not desired from a slaughter dealers perspective due to damage during shipping. They want large healthy 15 hand and above in height horses as they are all shipped together. Put a few minis in the mix and they can be trampled - seriously injured or killed during shipment.

I applaud anyone trying to find better homes for any size horse or pony going through a sale.

Ok time for my 2 cents (if its worth that much)

i have been to "killer"sales all my life i have bought very few horses privately

my motto is you cant ride the papers

i always get my horses from the jockey pens i

and i know killer buyers from all over the mid west and no they dont buy minis and ponies for kill they "jockey" them to other sales like said earlier

I supplied an entire 90 horse dude stables with "pound" horses and not one accident

yes we did get lucky and some were registered and as luck would have it the owner of the stables has sold and asked us if we want some of the horses that are left for free and we have said yes. we will send some to a theraputic stables etc.

so that is my opinion

dawn

I have looked at these pages and just shrug! ARE we not educated people on HERE?

With that said, I believe there is truth in every word of every post. Distorted and out of context MAYBE!

Miniature horses and ponies are sold to traders and jockeys at every sale. FACT! The 40 head from one owner that were in a sale in Oct were mostly purchased by the sale barn. FACT!

Do we as mini horse people consign and sell horses in catalog sales that have the same out-come as Kalona Regular horse sale? FACT.

Any help finding a horse a good home is commendable. Any resue work is commendable. FACT both need to be able to pay the bills.

Educate yourself to aid the equine business. The middle man is always needed as well as the END! The thought of the END may not be pleasant. Time to suggest a viable/workable plan.

Horses compared to wellfare........... HMMMM see the similarities.

MY POST IS TO MAKE YOU THINK NOT POINT FINGERS.

About the double decker trailer. We actually know the person that was having the horses hauled. I think the whole story is getting way out of line, but here are a couple of basics. This guy did and maybe still does buy for slaughter, but he also buys good horses, breaks them sells them, raises his own, basically a jocky. The news has said that type of trailer is illegal for hauling slaughter horses, but these horses were indeed young stock that he bought and was transporting them to another sale. I am not a close friend of his, but have known him for years. I would personally say if a jocky bought my horse I would feel the most comfortable with him. He does care about the horses and does treat them well. Most don't. If the guy driving the truck wouldn't have gotten in an accident, there would never have been an issue as he was within weight regulations.

unless I'm mistaken, it's still illegal to transport in double decker trailers as they are not designer for horses (not that they are any more suitable for cattle IMO)

and a random question, what happens to the horses that go to auctions and don't get bid on?

Theres one thing i REALLY don't get. Cows got to slaughter everday, so do pigs, chickens and other types of animals. Why are horses any different? there all animals w/ meat, they all get slaughtered, its life. everyone freaks out about horses going to slaughter but we don't think about the cows, pigs and chickens going to slaughter everyday and we (alot of us) eat them everyday. Maybe its just because there 'cows' and 'pigs', so what? people in other countries love these animals and worship them and think that were weird that we eat them, but here we think that its weird/ gross that they eat horses. Yeah, its great to save them but some things just have to be done.

Thats pretty much all i have to say. please don't get mad at me for this, its just the truth and i know some people on here that would agree with it.

Latest posts

Back