Minimum trailer stall dimensions?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoot

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what are the minimum dimensions for an individual stall in a trailer when hauling miniature horses? Length, width, and height. I'm looking at a used trailer that was custom built for two miniatures. It looks small to me. They'd only be going short distances in the trailer... so "minimum" is ok for now, although "ideal" would be, well, ideal.

We converted our 2 horse big trailer into a mini trailer by adding dividers. I basically took our biggest horse and put him in our cart shafts. He had room on both sides. Then I measured the width of the shafts and used that as a starting point for comfort. Our dividers are that wide and about 42 inches tall at the head portion and slope back to 36 inches at the tail portion. This has worked well for us. We took the entire length of the inside of our trailer, front to back, divided it with the shaft width ( we got nearly 5 stall widths). We then set it up so there are 3 individual stall widths and one larger one for mare/foal combo to travel - giving us 4 stalls with 3 dividers.

Since we do not want our horses to have too much room to get into trouble when trailering, we find this works well. None are rubbed on by the dividers, but they can't get into much trouble either. The higher divider (made of metal mesh) at the head allows them to see each other, but not bite. Tail height at the back prevents kicking the other horses. We have hauled a stallion, 2 mares and a mare/foal combo all together with no problems.

I hope this information can give you an idea of where to start to measure. Of course, our trailer is human height-7', which is wonderful in loading.

Back