Miniature Horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tazmarina

Reaction score
Hello, My miniature horse has sore front feet. I"ve been putting Hoof Heal on there and wrapping them. Anybody have any ideals of what else to do for them or how long it takes to heal them so she can walk better and not limp?

I would say founder, has she been on green grass or anything that can cause that. My recommendation would be to get her to the vet asap. It is best to get her some drugs to take down the inflammation in those feet before there is too much permanent damage, the worse they are the more the bones in the feet start to rotate causeing permanent and irreversable damage. Hope she feels better soon and take her off of the grass if that is the case, and feed her grass hay.

More information is needed. If she was just trimmed, I would be putting iodine or some other hardener on her soles at least twice a day and keeping her in a soft bedded area until her feet toughen up. If she was not recently trimmed I would suspect founder. She would need to be seen by a vet but typical protocol for a suspected founder would be xrays to check for rotation of the coffin bone and treat accordingly, but typically for minor laminitis- Bute, stall rest in a soft bedded stall and soaking the feet in a bucket of ice water several times a day to help with inflammation as well as no grass or grain or high sugared feeds.

Also if there is any chance it might be founder get the horse off green grass immediately as this will keep damaging the hooves more

Back