mini spacific medical info.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubysmommy

Reaction score
I am looking for a good resource for medical info specific to the miniature horse. for example... what medications and vaccines are safe for minis. what meds and vaccines are safe and reccomended fro mares in foal? I am hoping to also find good resource regarding mini gestation and foaling. It has been a long time since I have had a mini and I need a MAJOR refresher on this info! The mini that we just bought is possibly in foal, but not due until sept 2010. She has had foaling issues in the past. Her last baby was breech and they lost the foal as a result. It was kind of one of those, "Oh, by the way... she may be in foal and due in sept" as we were loading her into the trailer... so furstrating!! I have a vet appt set up for her in a few weeks for her coggins, vaccines and to see if she is actually in foal. I am just looking for reliable info! Its so hard to find for minis! we have recently moved so I am not sure of our new vet's knowledge of mini's So i want to make sure I am as knoweldgeable as possible! Thanks so much for any help!!

I have barely begun reading my copy, so I don't know if it'll answer all your questions, but... There is a mini vet book out there: "Miniature Horses: A Veterinary Guide for Owners and Breeders" by Rebecca L Frankeny, VMD. Hope this helps.

[i believe I got my copy from Small Horse Press.]

I also would recommend the book Chanda has suggested. I have several copies and keep one in my vet / medicine kit because when things are stressful, I sometimes can't remember basics like respiratory rate, regular temperature, etc. I think Amazon may now carry it in paperback.

As for meds, off the top of my head:

• don't give bute to minis
  • do not inject banamine, give it orally (yes, the injectable type in the mouth -- 1cc per 100#)
  • do not give "Quest" brand dewormer or dewormer with the active ingredient of Moxidectin in it
Our mares carry right around 330 days. We start watching them about a month early (monitoring udder, etc.).

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Another good book for your library is " Miniature Horses - Their Care, Breeding and Coat Colors" by Barbara Naviaux.

Barbara has some helpful charts showing the Bio-Chemical differences between minis to full sized horses. I've been told that some equine vets have found the charts very helpful.

"# don't give bute to minis

# do not inject banamine, give it orally (yes, the injectable type in the mouth -- 1cc per 100#)"

I've used Bute on my horses, and always injected Banamine with no issues. Don't understand why you would suggest to not do so?

"# don't give bute to minis# do not inject banamine, give it orally (yes, the injectable type in the mouth -- 1cc per 100#)"

I've used Bute on my horses, and always injected Banamine with no issues. Don't understand why you would suggest to not do so?

I TOO WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE ANSWER TO THIS... WHY WOULD YOU USE AN INJECTABLE ORALLY WHEN THEY MAKE BANAMINE IN PASTE FORM...

"# don't give bute to minis# do not inject banamine, give it orally (yes, the injectable type in the mouth -- 1cc per 100#)"

I TOO WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE ANSWER TO THIS... WHY WOULD YOU USE AN INJECTABLE ORALLY WHEN THEY MAKE BANAMINE IN PASTE FORM...
Economics... The injectible is less expensive than the oral paste. I just inquired with my vet: injectible 100ml for $45 (10 doses/1000#), paste tube is $30 (treats 1000# or maybe its 2000#).

I've used bute on my minis, but I do know you have to be very careful with the dosage and using, as minis seem to be more sensitive to it than full-size.

Bute is actually much harsher on a mini's stomach than banamine and can cause ulcers quicker.

We also use the liquid banamine instead of the paste. One thing we like is that it's more exact in dosing, without the risk of the safety ring on the tube slipping. Plus, the paste takes up to 30 minutes to take effect and the liquid given orally takes only 15 minutes....... It's also nice to not have to jab our horses with the needle.

Per all four of the vets in my practice, do not give the liquid banamine as an injection (despite that it is labeled as such). It causes a lot of problems with abscess. I knew years prior to my vets telling us this thanks to members here, but not only have my vets now confirmed it but once last year when we had the vet here to help with something, she was complaining that her next stop after us was a horse with an abscess because the owner injected the banamine and she hates when people do that vs. using the liquid orally.

As far as economics, yes, it is FAR less expensive to purchase the liquid vs. the paste. I always give some UlcerGard when using banamine as well (I would do this with the paste as well as the liquid).

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave banamine IM for years with no problems, but the recommended protocol now - which I follow - is to give it orally. My vet will even give it this way if not doing IV, because of the abscess problem mentioned above.

Both books mentioned are great but the best all around resource I have found is this board.
default_smile.png

Jan

Injectable banamine given orally has many positive benefits over paste. As others has said, cost and correct dosage, no needle sticks. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that it is absorbed through the mucus membranes of the mouth and is as fast acting as if you have given it IV. Horses also have a very tricky way of spitting out paste making it hard to get correct dose, if any at all.

Thanks everyone! I actually ordered 'Miniature Horses: A Veterinary Guide for Owners and Breeders' last week and just received it today! I have read the first few chapters and it is a great book! Now I think the only thing the book does not cover is vaccines. I live in MI and would love to know if anyone else from the midwest could share their vaccination protocol?? including thoughts on west nile? I did read in the book tonight that it is best to vaccinate (routine, yearly vaccines) a pregnant mare 4-6 weeks before her due date, due to the fact that it will help protect the mare during the stressful foaling time as well as prompting the mare to produce higher quality colostrum... Does anyone follow this with their pregnant mares? Thanks again for all the help!!

I don't live in MI (VA), but I think what we vaccinate for here is actually appropriate for all parts of the USA.

Non pregnant / non show horses:

West Nile Virus

Eastern and Western Encephalitis

Tetanus

Rabies

Show horses:

West Nile Virus

Eastern and Western Encephalitis

Tetanus

Rabies

Flu

Rhino

Pregnant mares:

West Nile Virus in the window where they are NOT pregnant

Rabies in the window where they are NOT pregnant

Rhino during pregnancy

4wks before foaling a 5-way (E/W Encephalitis, Flu, Rhino, Tetanus)

I'm up in the air about the Potomac Fever vaccination... But it is all over the Nation from what I understand (shot is rough on them and I think is not always effective and only addresses a couple of the four or five strains).

Latest posts

Back