Mini Rubbing Hind End on Bucket

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kindredspirit

Reaction score
My new little one won't stop itching himself raw on his water bucket. I've been reading in here it could be worms but he received Panacur in December from his breeder before I got him. Should I try something else?

I saw mention of sheath cleaning. He turns 1 in April so can he be due already?

Attachments

• 83305399_545221516337540_6777480404795392000_n.jpg
    83305399_545221516337540_6777480404795392000_n.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 4
I'd ask your vet to run a fecal test to see if there are still parasites. He's obviously itchy. If the weather is not bad where you are or you have access to warm water and a dryer I'd give him a bath in case he's got an irritant in his coat.

Did he do this at all before you got him?

He had a run in/run out and it had been a bit rainy up until this week.
I don't believe he had done this before I got him. I've only had him a few nights so far and he did this starting the very first day he came home.

Good idea on the bath and fecal test -- I will do that while I wait to hear back from the previous owner.

Thanks!

No, I hadn't checked for that. What would indicate that and how would I treat it? He is turning and biting at his hind end.

You can check out my saga on Parasites. I would definitely suspect pinworms. They are buggers to get rid of. They rarely show up in fecal exams. I ended up using the 5 day powerpak and I had to do a rigid protocol because we determined he was reinfecting himself.

You can check out my saga on Parasites. I would definitely suspect pinworms. They are buggers to get rid of. They rarely show up in fecal exams. I ended up using the 5 day powerpak and I had to do a rigid protocol because we determined he was reinfecting himself.
I think I had read yours searching! Did you see them turning to nip at their sides for itching pretty frequently and dry skin? I felt some scabs his chest, kind of reminds me of rain rot (though he isn't bald there).

You mentioned biting his rear and rubbing on a water bucket. Scabs on the chest is something more. Don't know where you live, whether it is safe to clip. Hard to tell what is going on under their winter fur. I would consider a dose of Ivermectin at this point.

Good thing I do have a bunch fo Ivermectin on hand! I am in New England, too cold to clip otherwise I totally would right now.

Thanks everyone. After looking him over either more, I've been able to determine we're dealing with some rain rot.

My filly runs on everything. When she runs, she makes a face with her lips twitching and her eyes rolled back a little. She is only 2 but started going into estrus at about 8 months old. She seems to be like this almost constantly. Should I be worried?

Latest posts

Back