Mini mare's hoofs trimmed incorrectly by farrier - update

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trish

Reaction score
The owner of the little mare I had posted about her contracted hoofs, and the other little mare who I believe is foundered is heading to the vet tomorrow. The vet will board them till Monday then do a full lameness exam and x-rays on Monday. I am so happy he listened to me. The little mare who I believe is foundered should become a wonderful pet for someone once her feet are fixed. she is solid black and absolutely beautiful. The other little mare with the contracted hoofs is a silver pinto, it will take some time to get her hoofs corrected, then maybe she will feel better and we can get some weight on her. She is the one who is always bumped away from the hay and feed. All the minis have been paste dewormed, and we are getting their annual shots and coggins pulled.

I will update once the vet has examined them and made a prognosis.

This his the little silver pinto's back right hoof.

Heart (10).JPG

Just be sure their owner knows, it takes time to fix serious hoof issues.

My current farrier started working with my laminitic mare two years ago (the previous farrier left the area and left me high and dry with two horses with issues, I had no farrier for 10 months before finding this guy, so did my best trimming them myself), and with today's trim she has normal hooves again (they still grow faster, but they are finally balanced and her hooves no longer bother her, although her arthritic knees do).

OMG, talk about LONG heels and what a mess!! This one can probably be fixed with CORRECT trimming- hope the other one has not foundered. At least progress is being made to do something about it and get them fixed up!

Hello forum family,

The owner got the results from the x-rays, can you guess what it was??? The coffin bone has rotated just as I suspected. Now he keeps asking me if I can fix their hoofs.
default_frusty.gif
I am not a professional farrier. I will not touch them. Once a professional, certified farrier is able to get their hoofs back to normal, I don't mind trimming them every 4-6 weeks as needed. What is sad is the fact that the vet uses the same farrier who did this to the mares in the first place.
default_xbud.gif
Get a rope and find me a tall tree.
default_please.gif

Latest posts

Back