Mini Jumps needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne ABC

Reaction score
Our club is considering investing in jumps that will be used later for AMHA shows. The rules, as I understand them, require 1-1/2" schedule 40 PVC and the jumps must have jump cups ( no pegs, bolts or nails). I have not been able to find any PVC jumps or jump cups that are over 1-1/4" PVC. I could build the jumps but can't even find the jump cups to fit???

Plan to call AMHA Monday, but, thought I would ask the forum in the mean time. I am puzzled and some of you always seem to come up with a answer no matter the question. Thanks :bgrin

My dad built me some jumps not too long ago. We used 2 inch for the sides, and 1 1/2 for the for the poles. He did make cups, but I don't want to go into a whole bunch of detail right here (as it takes a while to explain). PM if you want more info.

I edited to add that the bolts are not really needed (the cups are already tight), but we keep them in just to be sure.

Here are the best pictures I have of the jumps:

IMG_31624-1.jpg

IMG_3159.jpg

Willieprogress001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on guys!! LOL I know some of you have info on where your clubs got their jumps that meet the AMHA and AMHR rules.

I really think the ones minihorses4ever's dad made are nice and look really good, just don't know about those wing nuts and the bolts as AMHA states "not to include pegs, nails, bolts, etc." The other problem would be portability with the stands.

Doesn't look like there is going to be a east solution, huh?

Here are the jumps that my club uses and they were built for our rated shows. You can PM me and I can go into more details.

2699w-credit.jpg

We built our jumps from 4 inch pvc posts used for fences.Building supply store sells materials-not sure what you have in your area. Holes are drilled every four inches to match size of pegs on regulation jump cups. Bases are cut pieces of rail of pvc. Poles are round pvc pipes cut to 5 foot length. Stripping is colored plastic tape from hardware store.Easy to store&lightweight to haul.we also have a roll top -made from luan curled over frame&covered with green indoor-outdoor carpet.Light frame and hand holds in each end.Easy to carry

Here is a place where I have gotten panels and he has also built me a great gate. He is great to work with and has dog jumps and will make them for you from what you need. http://www.carlson-agility.com/index.php

I have also gotten nice jumps from Jumps USA http://www.jumpsusa.com/store/. Get their schooling jump and cut it down ( one standard will make a pair) you just have to order an extra base.

If you pm me tonight I'll get some picture of them for you.

Those agility jumps have come a long way.

Those look really cool.

I want some! LOL!

Karen

There are several easy ways to make jump cups. If you attach the cups by running a pin through the standard you can make a cup by using some plywood. Use a piece the same width as the standard (actually a shade wider) and about 2 inches long. Then cut some strips of plywood to sandwich on either side of the first piece with the width of the stock running at right angles to the first piece and glue and screw them on. These 'sandwich' pieces should make sides for the cup of about 1" tall, to keep the pole from rolling off but not too high so that the pole will fall if hit. Also have these pieces flush with the inside edge of the first piece but long enough to wrap around the standard. Drill holes to match the holes in the standard and slide in your pins.

If your standard has a keyhole adjustment method, you can cut cups from 2 x 4 wood stock. Use a hole cutter to make a round shape to hold the pole and then slice the wood in half to make 2 cups. I tend to slice a bit more of the round shape off to make the cup not so deep. You can then use some screws with large heads in the back to keyhole into the standard.

I hope this makes sense as it is hard to describe. If you want a better description and maybe a sketch, contact me off list. [email protected]

Happy building.

Latest posts

Back