Mini housing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymiracles

Reaction score
I am looking for options on what to put up for my mini's. I will have a tight budget and need to stay pretty much either portable or can dissasemble. I thought of the sheds at home depot or something or a carport? Any thoughts? If I build a barn i was curious if any of you guys have built barns yourselves and what it cost you and if I build what are some things you would change or add to what you have?

Thanks ahead of time!

default_saludando.gif
I have one of the metal carports in one of my pastures. It works great! Although with the minis there is alot of wasted space (above them). I have a couple of little "modular" sheds that my Dad constructed I will get a couple of pix of those and get them posted. They are approx 5 feet tall at the tallest point. He built the 3 walls and we used tin on the top. They could easily be taken apart and moved. The minis really like them. It is close quarters for them and during storms, cold, wind, etc they race to see who gets in the smaller sheds first.

Missy

We're building a barn right now,I'v got about $1500 in it. We did everything ourselves,3 windows, big and little door,it's 13x30 with a 12x21 awning in the front. Look around for those good deals when your on a budget.The steel is second hand and saved me tons.The windows and door were free,and are in great shape.I'm lining the entire inside with osb and painting,decorating,and having a blast
default_laugh.png
. That price includes electrical, 3 ceiling fans,flood lights on the outside and a tack room light. The used steel was about $450.00 that includes ridge cap, corners,and steel for the truss corners. I'm gonna try and get pics when i'm all done,there are a few in my album. Good luck
default_saludando.gif

I think there is a thread in best of about this. try port a huts used for dairy calves and other small animals I did find a dealer here in North Texas, we have the one that is about 6' x 11', they are shaped like a quonset hut and can be easily transported on a pick up or trailer and alos moved around. I only have one mini and she loves it in there...nice and cozy.....would easlily hold 3-4....

For the cost of that go just a littlel bit more and do one of the popular car ports with osb/plywood on lower half, those are about the lowest price roof shelter you can find around here.

have also seen portable buildings from Lowe's and Home Depot although they may not stand up as well.

Anything you buy ready made is going to cost you a small fortune. Try to get yourself some help and build what you can on your own for the best bang for the buck.

We did this run in for under $500.00 with shingle roof, no tin. Two stalls, 12 X 12'. It still needs vinal siding to match the big barn. When I get some extra $ I'll add trim and some hanging baskets.
default_saludando.gif

Littlebarncloseup.png

Last edited by a moderator:
In my stallion runs I have small 8 x 8 sheds. Takes 5 sheets of plywood and some 2 x 4s. Cut one of the sheets corner to corner to raise the front. Make a box, with a 4' opening in the front. Worked well for lots of years and were portable. I could haul them wherever I wanted to. Then shingled the roof and it was done.

We have simple barns / stalls that my husband built. They weren't expensive. We also have a metal carport as a run in shed that we lined with wood. Harvey (husband) has built three 2-stall barns, one 3-stall barn (hoping for another), a run in shed, and lined the carport we had installed. None of this is fancy, but they hold up good and serve the purpose. The run in shed is 16x12, the stalls in the barns are each 8x12 (but we do have a free standing 8x8 stall, too), and the carport is 18x21. The first barn he built is the 2-stall one pictured and it's 10 years old now and held up perfect. He makes them with a 4' wall between the stalls now and this like recessed "shelf" that I can set things into w/o having it knocked down. I really do love these simple barns
default_yes.gif

Run%20In%20Shed%20--%20Buildings%20--%2011132005%20--%20014.jpg

Three%20Stall%20Barn%20--%2011132005%20--%20006.jpg

Two%20Stall%20Barn%20--%20Buildings%20--%2011132005%20--%20007.jpg

Carport%20--%2011132005%20--%20033.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back