Mini Horse Packing Feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPMichJK

Reaction score
I have a larger “mini”, around 400-500 pounds, and in her early 20s. We just got her around Christmas and I don’t know a lot of her health history.

Shoryly after we got her I noticed she was packing feed in her cheek. So about 4 months ago the vet sedated her, pulled some sharp teeth and floated the rest. stopped packing for a little while after that but has started again.

In addition, she’s recently started choking! Probably 3-4 times in the last month. We have a plan in place to separate her from the other horses and eliminate her hay/feed only soaked feed. I’m worried that the choking could all be related to the packing/she’s swallowing the wad she puts in her cheek. Maybe the hay has nothing to do with it? Has anyone experienced this? Ideas/suggestions?

thank you!

With teeth missing she may need a float 2X a year. Mine does that is missing teeth. Can you find a equine dentist/vet to look at her? Sometimes regular vets are not experts on teeth. Try to find one that specializes in dentistry.

I had an Arabian who had very few teeth left. He was 29 years old. I know this is not a mini, but if it can help you...

I fed him mostly Timothy hay pellets soaked, as well as beet pulp and a fiber feed. He had access to hay as well, but would not stop quidding it when the hay stems were too long. I'd have to cut his hay into smaller stems, maybe 6 inches long or less. Lots of work, but it helped him maintain an acceptable weight.

And yes, he needed his teeth floated twice a year. Vet (who was also dentist) told me he might need three times a year, but it seemed to be ok with two times a year.

I will note that it's important to make sure you transition very carefully to the other kind of feeds, if you want to avoid colic or founder. And do make sure you soak the hay pellets well, otherwise, she might choke on those.

I weigh in on a tooth issue also. Sometimes the teeth at the very back don't get worked as well, since they are hard to reach.
I'm glad to read these issues with older horses, since my Dapper Dan is 25. He has all his teeth, and the vet marveled at his age. But he has had regular dental care for the last 18 years. Dental care, I believe, is crucial for horses for a good quality of life.

Latest posts

Back