Milk test strip question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
Ive always used the walmart strips to check ph on a mare but never used them to test for calcium. I used different strips for cal and they always said mix 1 cc milk to 6 cc distilled water. I read some where when using the walmart strips to mix it 1 cc to 3 cc distilled. Wondering if thats correct....

We've always used the 1 to 3 ratio.

Thank you, and what number reading typically indicates foaling with the 1 x 3 ratio for calcium?

I know ph is under 6.8 and closer to 6.4.

Tonight I tested my mare and I used 1x4 ratio and she was testing 200 calcium. 8.4 ph. I think by other signs we have a ways to go yet. her udder isnt full by any means.

Just trying to be sure I am testing the calcium correctly.

Are you talking about the pool test strips that you buy at walmart? If so then you should be able to mix a ratio of anywhere from 1-3 to 1-6 and still get the same results.

I have the info listed on my website on the signs of foaling pages. You can do either 1:3 or 1:6 ratio and get the same results. My mares typically test 200 or 400 on the hardness (calcium) scale and 6.4 on PH scale and foaled within 24 hrs.

Thank you Kim, I think that is where I read the 1x3 ratio. I appreciate all responds! Last pregnancy my mare tested High on calcium for weeks before foaling, but only ph changed last day.

This year I am only using the Walmart brand strips she is testing 300 again already but ph is still 8.4. Just trying to figure out how to use the calcium reading on these strips, it makes it much easier instead of using 2 different brands.

Again thank you
default_smile.png

OK, I have a question... never used the milk test strip before... do you have to just put the tip in or get all of the little squares in the liquid?

We are selling the Foal-Time strips on our site now. What I love about these strips is that there is no mixing with distilled water, and you just need a micro drop of fluid from the mare. http://iamranch.com/foaltime.htm

These strips are just a tool, or one indicator, to help mare owners pinpoint the time of birth. I love them because of having so many maidens who just don't give me enough milk for the other tests.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back