milk strips question-Its a bay colt!!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagles ring farm

Reaction score
Our mare Bee is tonight reading

400 hardness (2nd from highest) and 6.4 PH (lowest on chart)

Lace is

400 hardness (2nd from highest) but ph is way up 8.4 (highest on chart)

do you think Bee is likely to go tonight from these #'s I'm just anxious can you tell

our barn cam below

Marestare

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't take my eyes off of Bee, all of my mares have foaled within 12hrs or less when testing with those results! Good luck, hope she doesn't make you wait up all night!

Looks like she is pushing now. Am waiting for the foal.

Yeahhhhh we have a baby.

Good job guys. When you have a chance what color is the foal..?

Guess the pool test strips were right this time, eh?
default_biggrin.png

Boy when you said watch you meant it

Its a Bay Colt

born about 2 hours ago and he is not nursing any suggestions?

Mom is a maiden

gave her banamine and syringed about 3 cc's of milk into him but

he's not finding where to nurse

I am so happy that Bee foaled without any problems for you! That has to be such a relief. My vet used to tell me to stay out of it, as far as helping a foal find the milk bar.

So, I just leave the foal with the dam for an hour and watch on the monitor. Sometimes, I think we humans do impede progress. I hope he gets nursing soon. Congrats!
default_smile.png

Congratulations!!!!

I just wanted to add about the pool strips, I have noticed this year, In the 3 mares Ive had foal and had tested... I have also been checking the Cyanuric Acid to see is there were any changes right before, and in all 3 mares, The Acid level dropped below the Lowest reading which is 0 on the scale within 6 hours of all 3 babies being born... In all 3, the closer they got, the lower it went until it dropped below the scale and we had babies following shortly after.... Just a thought, dont know if anyone checks that too....

CONGRATULATIONS,

Cannot wait for a foal...
default_impatient.jpg
I just love these precious little darlings..
default_wub.png

Congratulations!!!!
I just wanted to add about the pool strips, I have noticed this year, In the 3 mares Ive had foal and had tested... I have also been checking the Cyanuric Acid to see is there were any changes right before, and in all 3 mares, The Acid level dropped below the Lowest reading which is 0 on the scale within 6 hours of all 3 babies being born... In all 3, the closer they got, the lower it went until it dropped below the scale and we had babies following shortly after.... Just a thought, dont know if anyone checks that too....
Now that is VERY interesting! Perhaps some of us who use the strips can do a sort of "test" to back up your finding.

Congrats on the foal!!!

Hey, can you give me the name of the strips and the dilution ratio? I have a mare ready to go soon....

Lucy

Hey Lucy, there is a description and directions for the pool test strips on my website, on the foaling signs page.

Congrats on the colt, I told you to watch!
default_smile.png

Congratulations. Yes, Kim has good info on her site. Too bad I could not get milk to test. Since my mare that recently foaled had been showing signs of stage one labor for three days I decided "forget the test strips and don't take your eyes off her." I will keep test strips on hand for future use though.

Congrats on the colt, I told you to watch!
default_smile.png
you were so right!!

thanks everyone for all the suggestions and well wishes

Mom and colt are both doing great now

She got over her grouchys and he found the faucet

that was our hardest yet for getting nursing

vet did IGg today will get results tomorrow

unless he talked to my husband last night while I

snoozed
default_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back