Mares (the eariliest you had a mare foal)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
289 hand bred, no doubt.

This mare has only ever had a ten month gestation but now she appears to be pushing the envelope, as it were.

She aborted a colt a few years back at a definite 267 days and the Vet looked at me like I was crazy and said no way was that a 267 day foetus- I showed him the records- my stallions do not have contact with my mares unless I am with them!!!

Foetus looked almost full term- well, I suppose by her book it was!

I have to say it's not always the smaller ones that go earlier, while the taller ones go later.

In '05 our 37.75" mare Timie foaled at 297 days. The colt was healthy & strong; no one would have taken him for an under-300 days baby. I don't know if her '05 filly was early or not because she was the result of an accidental breeding & no one kept track of the day. Timie is bred for '07 so we'll see how long this one goes.

In '05 one of our 36" mares foaled at about 305 days (would have to look it up again if it was 305 or closer to 310). That colt was strong. In '06 she foaled at 300 days; the filly looked almost premature--so very tiny and fine with a very fine hair coat. When she first came out I looked at those legs and was afraid she wasn't going to be able to stand on them. However, she was actually very strong on them so that was a relief. The only problem she had was fainting for the first 3 or 4 days of life.

I hve one mare that every year goes exactly 315 days. So when it is 315 days for her we are there because we know it is coming.

285 days. Yes, the breeding dates were correct - only one cover.

foaled a healthy (small) colt out of my Mickey Mouse daughter.

This mare has never carried a foal beyond 300 days - luckily we knew that and were watching her.

Another mare foaled 292 days - again, healthy baby (filly). we were told when we bought her that she carries less than 300 days.

Hello,

If DELIGHT got breed in the pasture on the first day she was in the pasture she is 287 days.We hope when she foal everything goes well.this is her first foal.

thanks melissa

My mare went over 3 weeks early! Probably a good thing, baby was big...vet couldnt believe she hadnt carried the full 11 months.

My mare went over 3 weeks early! Probably a good thing, baby was big...vet couldnt believe she hadnt carried the full 11 months.
Assuming that she was "due" at 340 days.... then she foaled between 310 - 319 - fairly normal for a mini - and not really early...
default_yes.gif
:

I confess to feeling a bit alarmed when people expect minis to go 11 months... we do not do "due dates" here as they vary - and mainly use 300 days as every mare's benchmark. Even if they show no signs yet - they start getting monitored then... we have had them from 296 - 343 days.... with most in the 310 - 320 range.

The 296 day filly was fully cooked, bouncy and a PITA to her mom (a first-timer) the second she leapt to her feet and started demanding attention and milk.

The same mare foaled at 313 days the next year...

Her mom foaled at 312 days 3 years in a row - then went 325...

Never forget the mantra - the most predictable thing about a mare is her unpredictability! :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I'm expecting my first foal this April, I can't say lol! But I wanted to share the way my stallion got his name. He was three weeks LATE, so he is Late Attraction By Cochise lol
default_smile.png

This thread is definately nice to read, as now I"m thinking about when I should put my mare in the stall with the camera!
default_smile.png
She's due end of April, opinions?

Jessi

In the past years that I have been helping my aunt and haveing my own foals I only remember one going at 10 months. She was not maiden, and was 33-34" mare. She foal a perfectly healthy filly, the vet argued with me that it was a 10 month foal. I had the proof as she was she was bred on her foal heat. I exepected her to foal End of April for 11 months. But she foaled in March.

That said my longest was my mare. I dont remember if it was when she was maiden or not. I think it was she went 367 days. Baby was healthy and fine. No problems other then getting mom to accept him at first.

304 days on a colt and he was fat and sassy when he arrived - and I know the breeding dates were accurate as the mare was hand-bred.

Denise

Silversong Farm

We have two that routinely foal at 295 days. The first year they surprised me. Cinderella had no bag and was in the pasture and I came out and there she was. This little bundle of fur. I don't think I have ever ran so fast in my life to that pasture and being fat and out of shape it is no small task
default_wacko.png
: The filly was fine and healthy however. The vet was very impressed. My miniatures keep him on his toes.

Lass is the other. I have to keep a close eye on her. She has had two colts at 295 days and usually with fillies they will foal earlier. Her due date is April 14th this year so will be keeping a close eye on her really soon. Hoping for that first filly :bgrin

I think of all my girls there is only one or two that go close to 11 months. And I'll be honest. The ones I worry about or will have awesome foals I send out to have foaled. I just feel better about it and the mares are in wonderful hands. My full sized mares have always foaled right on time. Maybe a couple of days early is all or a couple of days late.

And I have also noticed this. If the dam foals early, the daughter usually does and so does her daughter. Ect. Do you also notice that pattern?
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
With these dates, are you going by the last date bred or the middle or the 1st dates bred?

Thanks
default_smile.png

With these dates, are you going by the last date bred or the middle or the 1st dates bred?

Thanks
default_smile.png

I always go by the very last day the mare was bred, and figure from there.

The earliest I've had a foal is at 291 days. She was strong and healthy.
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back