Mares (the eariliest you had a mare foal)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
hello,

i start thinking since my mare Delight is due feb or march or so. Since she colic today, what is the eariliest you have had mare foal do well.Someone told me their mare foaled at 10 mos and the foal was great. Also the mares who do foal eariler then 11 mos do they foal early every year.We have a APHA big paint who foals two weeks late every year.

thanks melissa :saludando:

One of my mares foaled at 302 days this year, gave me a nasty shock! :new_shocked:

Came home from work to see a tiny buckskin filly in the paddock, my first thought was "She's in the wrong paddock!" as her friend was due before her.

But had no problems at all, mum & bubs were fine. :bgrin

shemoves3.jpg

Hope your mare is OK now, will keep fingers crossed for you.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The earliest for me is 320, give or take.
default_smile.png

Liz M.

I just posted on another thread about a mare we had that foaled at 305 - the year before she went 328 days so we were surprised - it was end of March, still chilly, and snow on the ground. He had lots of hair though and did great. We always started watching our mares at 290 days, hands over morning and night.

Here she is with her colt just a few days old-

MidnightandBuckinsnow.gif

Look at all the hair he had after about a month-

Buckonemonthold.gif

I have a mare that goes at 10 months most of the time. Here is a picture of her colt from 2005. Nicknamed him Gumby!
Gumby.jpg

He is doing just great, here is a more recent picture of him.
GitRDun.jpg

I had a mare foal at 10 months. He was very lean and did have problems nursing too begin with.. but outgrew both and is happy and healthy (and for sale!) today.

217826872.jpg

217826885.jpg

And here's a recent shot:

225183877.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]I think about 295 days was our earliest. Her foals always looked early, but she was very fine boned and slim hipped, so I truely believe she HAD to have them early. They required a little extra care (extra warmth mainly), but were always worth it.[/SIZE]

I have a mare whose last foal came at 287 days - verified, not an estimate. AMHA required she be PQd because they didn't believe the healthy foal in the picture could possibly be the right one.

We often have foals born what many think of as early, but was the "time" for the foals to be born.

One mare was foaling at 302, 297, 292. The foals were fine and up and running around!

Another mare likes to have hers before day 300 also. And many others like to foal around 305.

Fully baked and just fine! That's why I start watching ours early. :lol:

We had a mare foal at 294 days, verified. The foal was perfectly fine. The same mare has gone early several times since, 296, 297, 302 days. Every one was just fine, with no signs of prematurity. We've just learned to watch her early.

We also had a mare that would go at 280-295 days. Only one of her foals survived and it did have all the signs of prematurity. We spent a small fortune on the foal and decided not to breed the mare again.

Hello,

These mares who foaled early where they maiden mares or not.I am trying to watch delight the mare who is a maiden due around feb or march who colic today.

Thanks Melissa

Hi Melissa,

Like the others, I have had lots of foals born at 10 months or around 300 days.

It is very normal for minis to foal this early, unlike full size horses. If your mare could be due in Feb you have a good chance of her having a healthy full term foal for her since we are getting close to February! Good luck!!

Susan O.

Mine at 287 was an experience mare - about her 6th foal.

I have both under 28" and up to 34" mares. My little ones normally foal 295-310 days. The taller gals normally 320-340 days. The 10 month little mares have foals that are full term, healthy and strong. One mare has never made it to 300 days
default_wink.png
: 285 was shortest for her. I begin watching mine at 270-275 days if they are small. And yes, they usually repeat closely their previous gestation times.

This has been my experience with them over the past 15+ yrs.

hello,

our maiden mare was pasture breed april - aug 2006. The vet thinks this mare will foal feb or march after looking at her today when she colic.We are praying for a healthy mare and foal.

keep prayers for her

melissa

A lot of our mares go around 300-310 days. It is very hard to believe but a few years ago one of our mares suprised us by foaling 2 1/2-3 months early. It was unreal that she foaled that early. And the foal did live. Some people have said it is impossible that the baby lived but we whitnessed the breeding date, and due to the time she had her baby the year before, and the time we put her in with the stallion we knew that she went atleast 2 1/2 months early. She wasn't due until late march-very early april that year and she foal the first week of January. We weren't expecting her to foal and we looked in her stall and there was a little baby. The baby was definitely premature, but he was strong and he lived. We had to DNA him and his mom (she was born before AMHA started doing DNA testing) for AMHA to register the baby because they couldn't believe it. Then last year she foaled 2 months early. Then this year she has suprised everybody again. When the vet checked her this year she was shocked at how far along she was. She isn't due until March 18th this year and she is getting ready to foal any day. She is 16 years old this year and she is a Shadow Oaks Paul Bunyan daughter. I am sure some people won't believe this but we know when she was due and she went 2 1/2- 3 months early. I hope she never goes that early again though. Aubrey

I dont have or never had any tiny mares. My smallest has been 31.5 but she was a regular 315 day mare. My earliest was a 32 inch mare that foaled at 310 and did not repeat that with the other foals. She went 325-335 after that and yes she was a maiden mare.

My taller mares do seem to go longer.

I meant to add that I consider anything past 300 days game

Some times my maiden mares go a long time (like 335) and then from then on, go around 305 thereafter. Some maiden mares start out short and keep doing it.

My shortest time foaling mare was going short from age 18 to 24. And she was 35" tall. (AMHA FO)

One thing is for sure, they sure keep us on our toes!
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back