Mares not Cycling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SILVER

Reaction score
I have a couple mares that I thought were bred and due in July. They progressed as normal and then poof.... nothing, size went down and I am assuming false pregnancies. The one mare done the exact same thing 4 years ago. Anyway, I guess this second mare going to do the same. ( no relation ) Anyway, neither mare is coming into heat or showing any signs of cycling. They wouldn't have a later due date as no stallion with them after they were caught last year. Any thoughts. Have a call in to vet but won't hear anything from there till possibly late afternoon or tomorrow. Any thoughts out there, or similar happenings.

Our grandma mare did not get in foal last year. She was not coming in this year. We borrowed a stallion from our friend Linda. Within 10 minutes she was squating & gushing everywhere... Don't know what is going on with yours & this is not related to your situation but thought I would share. First time since 86 that we've had a mare do that - wouldn't show to one stallion but would another.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a mare that had false pregnancy and did not go into heat for months. I bought a new mare that was in heat when she arrived and BOOM my old mare was in heat within 2 days.

Yep ~ have a mare that was diagnosed last week as a false pregnancy. She produced milk, and lots of it, she softened up in her hindquarters, and hasn't come in heat since last fall. I was sure she was preggers, imgaine my surprise :stupid: .

The vet told me not to worry about her, just DON"T milk her, or she will continue to produce milk, and he made sure she didn't have mastitis.

In over 20 years owning horses, this was a first for me.

Well there must be something in the water. My three girsl I thought were bred last May. I left him with them until this last February thinking they were coming due. Here we are August - nothing. I bought FoalProof but the person I thought would pull blood (a vet tech) is skittish of horses and said she couldn't find their veins
default_wacko.png
: I am hoping to trailer them to a mini vet next town over. This pic is from about a month ago.

2229444_200.ts1151600957441.jpg

Really weird all right. These minis just keep coming up with a new surprise for me.

I hear you Greystone when you say you thought they were bred as I have been doing the same dance here.

Cathy H metioned using another stallion, I think I will try that tomorrow. I have walked the mares right in with the stud, left him in the paddock next to them. But, will try a different one tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Latest posts

Back