Mares, Foals, Prefoaling, Vet Check Poll!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you prefoal your mares (give them all their shots a month before foaling)? Do you have a vet che

• Yes, I prefoal my mares

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Yes, I have a vet check on the foal routinely

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I do both

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • I do neither

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Only vet check if needed

Votes: 18 58.1%

• Total voters

Kelsey - Vandy's Farm

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

We have been discussing breeding, vet costs and I was just curious what the "norm" is for most mini breeders. We have always prefoaled our mares and had a vet check on the baby after they are born. Do you do any of these?

We vaccinate, deworm and trim 30+/- days before. Then deworm after delivery. We don't routinely have the vets out for straight-forward births. Anything 'off' we do, but 9/10 times if it's something wrong, we're at UCD anyway.

We vaccinate, deworm and trim 30+/- days before. Then deworm after delivery. We don't routinely have the vets out for straight-forward births. Anything 'off' we do, but 9/10 times if it's something wrong, we're at UCD anyway.
We deworm regularly as well as trim but why the deworming after??

we're at UCD anyway.
Hoping to be going to UCD or Colorado State for vet school in the next couple years
smile.gif

I also vacc, deworm and trim 30 +/- days before. The vet gets called immediately if it wasn't a normal birth and if it is normal he gets called that or the next day. i have a very small herd of about 7 horses so the cost isn't too high.

To Kelsey; you deworm mom (with Ivermectin) right after birthing to protect the foal 'cause they routinely eat some of mom's poop.

Deworming after kills the worms that can be transmitted in mother's milk.

It is VITAL that you do an IgG test w/in 12-24 hours to evaluate passive transfer of antibodies. You CAN do this test yourself, if you know how, but 95% of people will need a vet to do the test. That's the biggest part of the post-foaling vet check. Placenta check is important to, but an educated horse owner can do that themselves.

It is VITAL that you do an IgG test w/in 12-24 hours to evaluate passive transfer of antibodies. You CAN do this test yourself, if you know how, but 95% of people will need a vet to do the test. That's the biggest part of the post-foaling vet check. Placenta check is important to, but an educated horse owner can do that themselves.

What's an IgG test? I don't think my vet does it. He just gives them a shot to relax their tendons and checks their bite, heart rate, etc. I know how to check the placentas, myself.

Latest posts

Back