mares, foals and the bugs urrrr

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPs flat rock acres

Reaction score
just wonder what I can use on my mares for the horse flies they are bugging the heck out of the mares that have foals at their side but bug sprays say not to use on preg or nursing mares what do all of you do.?

This is a big reason why I love having a January-February babies! Not really sure what to recommend for baby safe fly repellant...

I would love to have them earlier but not where I am located jan/feb we can have temps that are below 20 degrees

Oh so can we. I'm in VA... but we can keep the stalls pretty much draft free at night or during the day if they need stay inside. I bet others will have some good fly advice, but we will aim for more January-February foals here in the future..

so you would sill have foals if temps could be below 0 as well?jan and feb are so unpredictable where I am I mine as well we in Canada that's how far north in ny I lives always worried it would be too coldso just waited to have foals for may time this filly my girl just had is late

If they have a run they can get in, use fans. Flys hate moving air. The sticky fly strips catch lots, as do fly traps. You can also get fly predators, but they take longer to take effect. Avon Skin So Soft mixed with vinegar makes a decent spray that isn't hazardous to them. Doesn't last real long, but helps.

I am also glad to have been through early this year with first one in Jan and next/last one in Feb as we are having our share of peskies here now. We had a mild winter and the bugs are thriving. We hung a bug zapper above our last stall and blocked off half the barn with a gate so that the horses are not getting the glow from the light if they choose to come into the barn. It is at least helping with the mosquitoes and June bugs.

There's a Marigold based non-toxic horse spray on the market that I use.

Latest posts

Back