Mares aborting

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherylsminis

Reaction score
Is it possible that a mare can abort due to something not right with the stallion she is bred to?
default_unsure.png

I have heard (but cant remember the name) that there is an infection a stallion can give a mare when he breeds her that will cause her to abort later.

Yes, there are several things that can do that.

As far as stallions giving the mare an infection which later causes the abortion, yes, that is possible, but not in the manner you might think. Diseases like herpes, EVA, etc are sexually transmitted and can cause abortions, but, they don't cause abortions in the mare they bred. The mare is generally safe from abortion in that case for that exposure. Now, if ANOTHER mare is bred to an EVA positive stallion, she will shed the virus to other mares and those other mares can abort easily. But the mare bred to the EVA positive stallion is just as fertile as any other cycle.

Most of the abortions caused this way are from pathogenic bacteria shed by the stallion. There are three major varieties which cause reproductive issues, and if the stallion is infected with that bacteria he could infect the mare enough to cause problems. That is easily fixable by uterine lavages and infusions of various antibiotics, unless its so bad that phyical damage has occured.

There is a theory that some horses just ain't compatible with others. You can spend three years trying to breed a stallion and a mare together, both of which have had dozens of problem free pregnancies, and not get the mare in foal. But, then you can switch stallions and in one cycle you have a foal. There is a thought that some horse's genetics just aren't compatible. Its not proven, its not tested, but it seems to follow in some cases. If one pair just won't work, try another. If that one doesn't work, you have deeper issues that need to be addressed. Its very rare, but I've seen it a few times. Radom chance, or this theory? Either one, no way to know!

There is a theory that some horses just ain't compatible with others. You can spend three years trying to breed a stallion and a mare together, both of which have had dozens of problem free pregnancies, and not get the mare in foal. But, then you can switch stallions and in one cycle you have a foal. There is a thought that some horse's genetics just aren't compatible. Its not proven, its not tested, but it seems to follow in some cases. If one pair just won't work, try another. If that one doesn't work, you have deeper issues that need to be addressed. Its very rare, but I've seen it a few times. Radom chance, or this theory? Either one, no way to know!
Same goes with human beings too!

I have a vet friend who specializes in Furtility. He and his wife breed Morgans and they do embryo transfers for all breeds.

He told me once that when a stallions sperm is going bad (or should I say that the stallion is going infertal), he will not only have trouble getting mares pregnant, but those that do, many will re-absorb or abort.

Thanks for the insight on this matter. All responses were appreciated.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back