@$#@$@# Mare!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeCFarm

Reaction score
Is anyone else in the same boat as me? I have an experienced broodmare that doesn't intend to have her foal anytime soon. She's at 340 days today and BARELY has a bag, my vet checked her the other day and her cervix is still closed tight, but she did feel the foal moving around. We bred Starlight on her foal heat last year trying to move her up so her foaling wouldn't interfere with showing this year. Lot of good that has done us!

This mare was handbred for one week only to a leased stallion who went home shortly after. And she was ultrasounded as in foal at 18 days and then again a month or two later. We had no other stallions, immature or not, on the property at that time. She is definitely 340 days.

default_wacko.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
I know you are in OK, but up here it has been unusually cold so far this month. The high yesterday was only 20 degrees and that is cold for even us! I have heard a lot of people with minis and full-sized horses having mares going overdue this year. Don't know if the cold has anything to do with it or not, just a thought...

Oh ya count me in on that, I had a mare last week that foaled at 353 days and I have another late one in the barn right now at 344 with a big bag but not ready to foal as yet and both mares have had at least 5 foals in the past. All mine are hand bred so I know the due dates.

I did notice that all my mares started all this being late stuff last year and now its this year also!

None of my mares have ever been late before. I just wonder whats gives with all these late mares all over the place. At least I know its just not mine but up north , east and west too!

Its really puzzling...
default_wacko.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rachel, it has been unusually warm here, except for the last few days. After reading on here about fescue, I was worried that may have been why she doesn't really have a bag, but my vet said we don't have that around here. We had our property baled for the first time last year and we've been feeding that hay to this mare since, so I was scared I would have problems once I moved the mares to my house. SUCH a relief to know I don't have to worry about fescue!

Our other mare (on different hay) went early, and now Starlight is going late. I'd at least feel better if she did have a decent sized bag, doesn't even have to be full, LOL, I at least want to know she's making some progress!

LOL seems like forever doesn't it! That foal will be here before you know it, sometimes their milk comes in shortly before they foal. I pray all goes perfectly and you will be sharing a beautiful foal with us soon!
default_smile.png

Now, now, you shouldn't talk about Starlight that way!
default_smile.png
I hear you, though. But I can tell you they will do exactly what they want. Or should I say what the fetus wants. The fetus determines the day and the mare picks the hour.

Of the first three mares I had due this year (going by days of gestation), two have foaled and not in order. Rader was the furthest along at 333 days and she foaled April 5 (pics coming!). Belle was mare number 3 on my list and she foaled first on March 30 at 316 days. Mare number two is at 332 days today and she looks to be a few days off yet. Mare number four is bringing up the rear at 316 days today and hardly a hint of bag. Her first two foals she carried to 349 days
default_wacko.png
: and she looks to do the same thing this year. Then there's mare number 5 who has what I call an 'old mare bag' that she keeps year round and it's hard to tell when she actually starts bagging. She's at 303 days today and I'm keeping an eye on her.

A few other stragglers during the summer.

Unfortunately, the mares don't seem to foal when it would suit our schedules the best! Hang in there and keep watching her. I'll be anxious to hear the new foal report!
default_smile.png

I had a mare foal this year at 345 days. Same as last year for her! This time her bag was lopsided and soft at 6 a.m., foaled at 8:30 a.m.! Last year she had a HUGE bag. Not so this year!

But, the filly was well worth the wait! Pintaloosa by MCC Feathers Touch!

Viki

Oh Becky, you know we love her!

Viki, I don't see how she could foal in another 5 days, there is nowhere near enough milk. It isn't that her bag is just soft, there's hardly anything in there at all!

We're thinking she has another few weeks to go!
default_unsure.png
:

My first one this year had hers at 333 days, so I thought- Oh good, no long gestations this year. WRONG! :eek:

I have two I'm watching now, one is 348 days, and the other mare is 325 days, both have medium size udder, milk and are about the same otherwise. I have the Equipage on the mare that's 348 days because last time she foaled without a full udder, so I'm being safe and not getting much sleep.
default_wacko.png
:

Oh well, it wouldn't be marestare without the long nights! :bgrin :lol:

Latest posts

Back