Mare in foal - UPDATE 06/26

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtrememiniluv

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I have a mare in foal, she's due July 1st and she been "Ready" for about a month. The poor girl just waddles around and is miserable.[/SIZE]

Anyway for the past two days she has acted sore on her back 2 feet. I have never had a mare act sore. I picked her feet, and no obvious signs of founder or bruising.

She is equally sore on both feet. Just wandering if I should call the vet out?

By the way, she is partially wax, bag is hard and full, soft but, and she is elongated.

Watched her like a hawk yesterday since I thought she was gonna blow, but nope..no baby
default_wacko.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm..... I don't know what to tell you about the mare acting sore except maybe the foal is pressing on a nerve causing her to walk differently? Sounds like she is ready to foal and that might alleviate the problem altogether. Keep us posted!

[SIZE=12pt]Thanks everyone![/SIZE]

She actually acts like it hurts her to walk but then she is also resting each foot and then bringing up towards her belly.

I have been waiting for this baby all year :lol: :lol:

The mare is a daughter of 4G's Little Kings Alfalfa Please and she is bred to my national top ten palomino stallion..

I keep praying for palomino filly with bald white face and belly spot...humm can dreams come true.

I've been on a colt streak for 2 years now and need a filly to break my spell... I'll keep everyone updated!!

My pregnant mare did something that sounds like that. She went quite lame for about 2 days. Limping when she walked and very stiff in her back. She shifted her weight alot like she couldn't get comfy and the same when she was laying down. And one day, she layed down, rolled over and when she got up she was fine. My vet and I figure the foal was just in a really uncomfortable position for her and probably pressing on a nerve somewhere. She has been fine every since but still won't give up that baby!!!! AAAHHHHHHH. Anyways, good luck with your girl. Sounds like the same thing.

I was kind of thinking pinched nerve. I know when I was 9 months pregnant I was horribly miserable and waddled everywhere!! :bgrin I just hope she goes soon. It is torture!

Thanks everyone!

The mare is a daughter of 4G's Little Kings Alfalfa Please
I also have one of his daughters waiting to foal :lol: :lol:
default_wacko.png
: to my black and white pinto and I am getting rather impatient, lol. What color is your mare? My mare is a maximum expression sabino who is LWO and more than likely carries the splash gene. COME ON BABY :aktion033: Maybe our two mares should talk to each other and encourage each other to "get er done" :bgrin

I think you have a very sensitive mare who is within her last DAYS or HOURS of foaling.

We just had a mare who was doing a lot of what you describe and we watched her like a hawk, wound up having a number of people here because it was so obvious. By the time she foaled, she was walking very gingerly and very slowly. She had a very full/hard bag, had been waxing during the same day and started dripping milk just hours prior.

I ended up making a quick dinner for six people who wanted to stay in the barn and puting it all on a tray and taking it out.........."Eddie" foaled about an hour later. All went well for her, so I am expecting all will go well for you too.

MA

What you are describing sounds like what my pregnant(heavy in foal, due any time) mares do too while standing in their stalls. I always think it is a sign of discomfort, like there is some cramping going on in there, but I have never seen them act like it is sore for them to walk.

Last edited by a moderator:
well I believe we were all right with her being close to foaling.

She was dripping milk last night around 10PM and delivered around 12

Of course the baby starting coming out and with a bald face, my excitement was brewing. Then came the rest of her. Checked for sex...Filly Hooray! Color..Palomino I think. Finally. Noticed her tongue was hanging out the side of her mouth (my heart dropper) and she had a large underbite

As the night went on things didn't look good. I milked the mare and tried to feed her with a bottle No luck. Then I used what you use on human babies to get junk out of their nose. I used that then to shoot some milk to her.

When she stood, her right leg she stood basically on her fetlock with her foot out to the side.

I tried all night/morning to feed her but nothing. ohh..and momma didn't really want anything to do with her. Didn't try to lick her off or anything. I called the vet a few times. Decided the vet would come out this morning. The vet examined her and confirmed she was a severe dwarf. She would have no quality of life and would probably be in pain most of her life, so I made the decision to let her be with God. She went peacefully.

Her name would have been.

Thellwells Sassy Diva - or Sassy for short. Her mom's name was Diva

She was so sweet and didn't want to give up she just kept trying. Momma didn't grieve much after the baby being put to sleep but did grieve when I took her from her. It was such a sad thing. :no: Here's a pic of her.

Needing many hugs right now.
default_sad.png
This was the 1st horse I even had to have put down. But she is in a better place.

Diva will never be bred again, I think I already have a pet home lined up for her. Actually I don't even know if I want to breed any more. I don't know if I could handle doing this again.

100_0303.jpg

100_0304.jpg

100_0306.jpg

Awww, I am so very sorry for the outcome. She is with the Angels now, and will never suffer. (((HUGS))) to you....I know how much you need them at this difficult time.
default_sad.png

Sorry for your loss.

HOwever I hate when people always say the mare will never be bred again. The stallion is just as much at fault as is the mare.

I'm sorry for your loss. You waited and wanted so long. She is a little angel now and will know no pain. Bless you and your mare.

What a beautiful baby she was in spite of her deformities.... so very sorry for your loss.

Lyn

Awwww, I am so very sorry for you, your mare and that little sweetie. She was beautiful! It is such a hard decision and so hard to lose them. I have been there far too much lately. Not with a foal but did lose a mare in foal that didn't have a chance against a truck. And many others Sad. I send huge hugs your way.

I'm so sorry for that outcome. :no: It's so hard when you've been anticipating something for 11 months and then this happens. {{{Hugs}}}

I am so sorry for your loss.I have been there many times with dwarf foals and kept 1 alive for 2 days trying to get her to eat.I took her to the vet to be put down and was on my way back to bury her when another mare was down pushing.Couldn't get that baby out, put her down and the 2 were buried together.Our cemetery here on the farm has far too many Minis in it.I am not breeding anything for 2008 and maybe never again.It hurts too much to bury the sweet little foals.I am so sorry you had to go through this.It is so hard to wait all year and then lose a baby.Hugs to you and your mare.Run free little baby.

:no: i am so sorry to hear about your foal. what a pretty foal. We will be thinking of you all during this time.

I'm just so sorry for the whole outcome......
default_sad.png

MA

Back