Mare Geting Close

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunappy

Reaction score
Hello, My name is Nikki and I am a long time lurker of this board but never have I posted before. I have owned large horses since 1985 and bred appaloosas. I am however a newbie with minatures. I got my first 1 yr ago. This past aug. I got a mini mare from Cindy Huber here in Wi. Her name is QTR Raes Mystic April Mist. I was told she was in foal and due sometime in april, cindy was unsure as April was kind of a rescue and not much info was given. Anyway I check her daily and there has been no change until today. Her teats are enlongated but she is not bagged up, she is expressing a yellowish non sticky fluid from her teats. Also her vulva has gone from about 1/2 inch to 3", very relaxed. I have foaled alot of regular size babies before but was told mini mare signs are different. I was wondering how close she may be with these changes. thanks so much NIkki

Hi Nikki,

Gosh, talk about a small world!! I used to own QTR Raes Mystic April Mist and sold her in 2003. She was just one of the nicest and sweetest mares you could ever find. When I had her she always got a huge bag before she foaled and had never had any foaling problems. I also had her Mother and the two mares were inseperable, when I sold them it was with the understanding that they would stay together. She is an excellent Mom to her babies. Her last foal for me was born May 7th. '03 and was a beautiful black filly. April Mist's Mom who we called Misty had a black colt the day before April Mist foaled and the 2 babies would play together and even nurse on each others Mother.

I will try to find a picture of her filly and post it for you.

Hi,...Welcome from Saskatchewan,.....I have a mare getting close too,......

I think?
default_wacko.png
: LOL

once again,..welcome :saludando: Terri

HI, thanks for replying. April Is a very sweet mare, My daughters just love her and are so excited for her to foal. April taught me to drive last fall too. It was my first time but sure didnt seem like hers. I hope she foals easy this year, im a nervous wreck. From what I remember Cindy saying april had a palomino filly last year that you rescued along with another weanling colt named Houston, who I ended up taking and gentled, and got him ready to be place in his new home. Anyway I am very excited to see Aprils foal, I was told the stud was a little leopard. Thanks nikki

Welcome to the board.
default_smile.png

The one thing I have learned about mares who have all the signs is that they will still keep you waiting!!! :new_shocked:

(at least mine seem to
default_rolleyes.gif
: )

Well, as long as you realize that whatever I tell you to watch for, April will not do...... :lol:

My guess is that with the milk being non-sticky, she may have a bit of time left. It really does get quite sticky prior to foaling. The problem is predicting how long will it take to get sticky. I have three foals on the ground this year and all three of the mares took about 2 to 3 weeks for their milk to change to the really sticky stuff. All three got really large bags with the nipples hanging straight down, not pointing in towards each other at all. Two of the three had bags that got very hot and hard within 4 hours of foaling and the third got hard, but not really so hot. If the vulva is starting to elongate, that is a good sign. Peek inside and see if it is still a nice cotton candy pink, or is it turning a rosey plum purple? My last mare took about 4 days to turn purple and foal. The other two mares must have done the whole color change in a matter of hours as I never even had a chance to see it.

I guess I would GUESS that you still have a few weeks to go, but watch those signs develope. You never know. Best wishes!

Nikki,

Here is a picture of April's filly along with her little 1/2 brother.

P6200004.jpg

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum from Southern Oregon!! Nice that you can get some advice from someone that has foaled out your mare before!

Latest posts

Back