Mare Absorbing Foal??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RNR

Reaction score
Got a few questions!

I have a mare that was ultra sounded in May and according to the breading dates she should have foaled in July or Augest well no foal and now she dose not even look pregnate is it possible that she could have aborbed it? That far along?? I was talking to a friend that is a vet tech and she said what we saw on ultra sound could have only been 5months along so I need some insight here!!

Thanks

RNR

Yes, It is possible but let's see what the others have to say....
default_wacko.png
:

IMHO it is not possible to resorb a foal at that late date., at 8-9 months along is quite a good size fetus.

Perhaps whoever read the ultrasound was wrong?

Robin

Did they actually see a foal or just fluid that looked like it? I was told at that far along it doesnt pay to ultrasound as the foal will cover everything. Its better to palpate. If she was in foal and sliped it you should of found it somewhere.

Thanks Guys!!

It is possible that we might have had a fence line breeding that is what i am figuring becasue my dates have come and gone!

On the ultra sound we saw the insides of the baby looked like intestance. SHe has been on dry lot that no critters can get in since May and I check it and her several time a day and night for sings of foaling or a aborted foal.

The reason I asked about absorbing was a friend of my moms keeps insting that is what has happened since she is not as big as she was or should be. I have a mare that is due in MAY that is shall we say HUGE! But she is always that way.

So i guess I will just keep her locked up and keep an eye on her!

Thanks for all your help!

RNR

I don't know if you have tried this yet - you could try to feel for movement. Gently place your hand in front of her udder and toward her flank area after she eats or drinks - if she is in foal there is a good chance you could feel some movement/kicks. IME I could feel movement on every one of our pregnant mares after the 7th month. If you don't feel movement though IMO I would still keep a close eye on her, some breeders have said they have never felt movement/kicks even though their mares were in foal. I have had mares that hid their pregnancy pretty well until the last couple of months - and I have had some mares that were huge for many months.

duh :eek:
default_frusty.gif
: I am dumb today :eek: I should have read the whole topic better :eek: Of course a mare can't absorb a fetus at that late date :eek: What a meant to say was that it was possible she could have slipped or aborted it :eek: :eek: Sorry, :stupid: tonight :eek:

Latest posts

Back