Mare aborted today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walbon Acres

Reaction score
Came out of the house this morning and saw a vulture flying over the mini mare pasture. BAD SIGN !!!! I went out in the field and saw a fetus in a ball shape and still in the sack. The mare was in the run in shed. Caught her and gathered up the foal. Called the vet to come and make sure the mare had passed all the placenta (sp?). He showed up and said that it was what is called a body pregnency that is why the foal was curled up into a ball. The foal never spread out into the whole uterus when it was growing. The foal had probably died about 12 to 24 hours before. The mare was due in May. This same mare 2 years ago aborted a foal with umbilical cord torshion. ( Plese ignore my spelling. I am the world's worst speller.)

I am so sorry for your loss. How awful, especially when it happens so close to the due date.
default_sad.png

Oh honey, I'm SO sorry!
default_sad.png
{{{{Hugs}}}}

I've never heard of a body pregnancy.

Sorry to hear this news. I've never heard of the condition either. Foaling season is so bitter sweet. We lost two foals almost full term last year to reasons unknown.

Hugs to you!

I had never heard of a body pg. before either. The foal was perfectly formed just curled into a ball. The way I understood it from the vet was that as it started to grow it never "spread" out from the horn of the uterus therefore it curled as it grew. Also the umbilical cord did not attach correctly and the sack was also curled around and there was what looked like a large "bubble" filled with fluid past the area where the sack was curked. I am not sure if I understood everything correctly but he did say that it doe not happen too often.

I'm so sorry, it is always so hard when this happens. Is the mare OK?? She seems to have taken it well.

OH I am sooo very sorry for your loss!!!
default_sad.png

I hope your mare will be ok.

[SIZE=14pt]So sorry for your loss. I have not heard of a "body pregnancy" either. Will have to ask my vet friend about that.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I'm sorry for your loss but it sounds like it's a good thing that the mare did expel it before it grew to large as I don't know how she'd got it out in that position. A couple yrs ago, I had a mare that they couldn't get the foal out, they did a C section, the baby was folded in half, it could never had been born the right way, we ended up losing the mare anyway. Sometimes things just don't make sense.

The mare is fine. I had the vet check her to make sure that she had passed all the placenta and she had. She called for the foal for a little while but she has settled down now. She is the grand dam of the filly in my avatar.

I'm so so sorry.
default_sad.png

It is so sad this time of year to start hearing of the losses.

I wish you nothing but the best for the future.

Susan O.

Oh, I am very sorry.

I hate to hear all these sad lost foal repoerts. Hugs for you!

I am so sorry your mare lost her foal. Thank you for sharing the information about what caused the foal to abort.

Bonnie,I am so sorry for your loss.I love and dread foaling season.I am so anxious for it to start&then be over.It is so long to wait almost a year to see if the little ones will be born all nice and healthy.I am at the point, after having lost so many foals in the last 20 years, that I no longer care what sex the foal is-just alive and healthy and normal.

Latest posts

Back