Manitoba Mini Mauled to Death by Pit Bulls

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regardless of the breed, dog breed are bred to have stronger 'tendancies' in certain areas. The hounds are bred to have better use of noses and smell and tracking, greyhounds for speed, bird dogs for retrieving, etc... and some dogs are bred for fighting and guard instincts. Yes, this could have been any breed, but some dog's personality traits do not match the owners capabilities of dealing with them... they dont understand the personality and would be better off owning a different breed.

ANY dogs allowed to roam and run are going to get into trouble it is a matter of time!!!!

And I too, have been through the 'dog attack' thing twice now- first my neighbor's goats many years ago. The only thing that alerted me was the mama goats screaming - it was too late by the time I went to investigate. The owners were home and never heard a thing, which I dont understand, but the dogs made not a sound. (there were 3 dogs involved) I was stupid and jumped two fences to get into where they were to try to save the goat that crashed headlong into the fence- her back end already ripped up, and the pit mix they had turned on ME! They were in such a frenzy and were 'blind' to whatever was in front of them. They were on a killing spree. There was another mutt and the neighbors Chow had also gotten out and joined them. He used to get out and growl at the school kids that would try to make their way to the bus stop in the a.m.!!!

I was lucky that with many large rocks flying from my hands, and my back against the fence- I could have become one of their victims!!

The second time was up in MT when we lived out on a small ranch and someone's dogs ran where ever they wanted. They had the full sized horses in a corner of the barn (one was a Dobie- obviously the boss dog and the other a hound) The Dobie was trying to get to the back end of the younger horse and had apparently already been run off once that day and came back again!! Again, it was very silent - no barking or growling- we just HAPPENED to see them out there in time. We understood the dogs belonged to a long time residence and 'wealthy' family in the area, so no one wanted to do anything to cause waves. They had been putting up with these dogs for MONTHS! The Dobie didnt make it home and the hound ran off and never came back. I am assuming maybe he learned to stay home, but he never came back to our place anyway.

Dogs should NEVER be allowed to run loose, I dont care what kind they are - they also have a tendancy to pack up with other dogs running loose and it spells nothing but TROUBLE. I blame the owners for their lack of caring, responsibility and facilities.

I am SO SORRY for your loss, and I HOPE the dogs are put down (I dont think I could have waited to call animal control either) and the people have to pay for your loss!!! Unfortunately it is a memory you will never forget.

It has been 24 years since the goat incident and I can see/hear it like it was yesterday.

Hugs to you sweetie!!!

Laurie

I think legally you are probably in a stronger position since you did not shoot the dogs, and they were deemed dangerous by an uninvolved third party. This whole thing is a mess from start to finish but I am adamant it has nothing to do with them being pitbulls. Dobes have been mentioned- I own Dobes and I know my gentle pets would be more than capable of such action- whether they actually get the chance to do it is up to me.

Monica..I'm terribly sorry for your loss.

Now, for all you members you defended the "pitbull" rave shame on you. It is the DEED not the BREED has been stated..good on you.

Any freaking CARNIVORE is liabel to run something to ground at somepoint, whether it be a JRT, Lab, Dobe, Rotty, Staffy, Bully breed of anysort, sheperd, border collie etc etc etc. When an animal runs the instinct is to chase. HELLO, GO THROW A BALL AND SEE YOUR DOG RUN AFTER IT!!! Nine times out of ten they will...DUH

Just tired of reading about pros and cons of such and such breeds of dogs that are attacking people and horses....why don't we muzzle everything from a Chihahau to a Great Dane, then all the STUPID people won't get in trouble.

Kim

PS and shame on all you people who have the nerve to cry wolf about the terrible dogs when some of you have had your own problems with your own dogs doing terrible things..gee what a oxy moron

Urm...Kim this post doesn't make a lot of sense to me....who are you cross at, and who are you defending??

I am fully aware of the potential of my Dobes and I am fully in support of the Pitbull breed.

Could you just clarify a bit, please???

kittnblue said:
I am not jumping on the Pit Bull Ban Wagon...  People need to take responsiblity for their actions doesn't matter what breed they are. 
no.gif

Monica
Kittnblue,

I am so very sorry to hear of this. Please accept my deepest condolensces on your loss of your stallion. I would bet that he passed away after defending your other horses in what ever way that he could as that is the nature of a stallion. They will risk themselves to save the rest of the herd, and I would bet you all the money that your stallion was doing just this.

And I have to hand it to you to find any compassion against the breeds that are labeled as dangerous. You truelly have a large heart and I can hear the pain in your posts that now the dogs must also die all because of their owner's neglegence. You stated it best. People need to take responsibility and be held strictly accountable for what their animals do. Thank you for not blaming the whole breed. I can only hope to be as wise as you if I should ever find myslef faced with this devestating situation.

Monica, I am heartsick over what happened to your stallion. I hope the dog owners will be made to pay compensation so you can get another stallion not that he can be replaed in your heart.

Any dog can, given the right circumstancess, become agressive. I learned this the hard way. I had two Border Collies and one day they tore apart a baby goat. My baby goat that they had been playing with. I found the goat and blamed it on wandering dogs till I looked closely at my own, they had blood and fur in their teeth!! The collies left that day.

Another incident really brought it home for me. I have Shih Tzus, loving, fuzzy, cuddly Shih Tzus. They were all in the backyard when one of my chickens flew in. They happily started chasing it around the back yard. They had done this before and usually the chicken just flew back out. This time the chicken for some reason hit the top of the fence on the way out and fell back into the yard. By this time the Shih Tzus had caught up with her. They turned from a gaggle of happy loving dogs into a "dog pack" in unison they jumped on the chicken and proceeded to tear it apart. By the time I got there it was too late. So yes, any dog at any given time can get the killing fevor.

I'm fostering a Pit Bull right now and he is a sweetie with me, all people, my dogs (Goldens & Shih Tzus) but he will kill my cat if he gets the oportunity. He has destroyed a good portion of my house and he has got to go. They are a very hardheaded breed. Hehe I'm not sure where I was going with this. Oh well just blame it on my getting old.

Ginny StP

I feel terrible for all involved, including the dogs. Does anyone know here those dogs came from? How do we know they weren't starving strays, it's not the dogs fault if they were forced to resort back to being farile dogs and have fend for them selves.

I do agree that these particular dogs should be put to sleep, regardless of breed. However I do feel bad that these poor dogs probably never got a chance to live in happy well loved home like the ones all of us here could have provided. Instead they were forced to live hard life and die because of it.

I also have sympathy for the people who have grown to be afriad of a dog just because of their breed. It means that they probably won't learn to appriate all the wonderfully raised "bad" breed dogs.

Why can't this world be more responsible?
no.gif

HorseyGurl22 said:
I feel terrible for all involved, including the dogs. Does anyone know here those dogs came from? How do we know they weren't starving strays, it's not the dogs fault if they were forced to resort back to being farile dogs and have fend for them selves.
I do agree that these particular dogs should be put to sleep, regardless of breed. However I do feel bad that these poor dogs probably never got a chance to live in happy well loved home like the ones all of us here could have provided.  Instead they were forced to live hard life and die because of it.

I also have sympathy for the people who have grown to be afriad of a dog just because of their breed. It means that they probably won't learn to appriate all the wonderfully raised "bad" breed dogs.

Why can't this world be more responsible?
no.gif

504095[/snapback]

HorseyGurl22,

These dogs lived just over a mile from my place. They were fat and healthy and very friendly when I found them at my barn. I do not think these dogs have had to fend for themselves or anything they have been well cared for. The people who own these dogs have two more running loose around their yard, as we discovered when my husband went to talk to them about the attack. In this case it was a pack situation and the fact that they were pits made it worse when they attacked my stud Cody. Like I said before, the owners need to take responsiblity for these dogs and they should be ashamed for what happened to my horse and their dogs' fate also. These animals have been deemed vicous by animal control. If the owners wanted them back they would have to comply with rules and regulations to house the dogs. They would have to build a compount type and the dogs would have to be in it 24/7. Nice life for them huh?

The 10 day hold was up yesterday, I do not as of yet know what is happening with them.

Monica

Fizz..

Was defending no-one actually..just was tired of hearing how the dogs are to blame, when the owners have no clue of what instincts dogs have (as in chase, go to ground, herd etc). I have dogs, and have watched one or 2 of them put the run on the horses. Thankfully, (unfortunately for the dog) the horse kicked the dog HARD a couple of times and now she has a "fear" of going into the pasture. I always to fortunate to have one "dog hater" in the herd that would run the dogs (actually almost kill a neighbour dog). In city ordinances dogs at large are a big no-no, and all must be leased. My own farm dogs are now living in the "city" due to almalgamation and now MUST not venture off my property at all, hence the "invisable fence" and collars that keep them enclosed.

Kim

I was pretty sure that is what you were saying
biggrin.gif
You were just so mad you were tripping over your words a bit and the last thing I wanted was another witch hunt- or Pitbull hunt, for that matter!!

I was shocked RIGID when I walked round the corner and found my two Dobes about to take a foal down- they were NOT kidding- they would have killed her!! This is a long time ago, those particular dogs are long gone, (ie died of natural causes!!) but it gave me a wake up call I really heard and acted on. After that my dogs all had bells on, so, without constant searching, I know roughly where they are when we are out and about- it also gives the cats warning!! The two I have now, descendants of the first two, are NEVER allowed away from me by more than 1/2 mile- no I am serious- they can go that far and still be in sight and under control, so that is the limit. The first two could be two miles away hunting and I used not to worry about them!!! How times change!!

The Pitbull breed is no more potentially dangerous than any other breed bred specifically to attack and control people and other animals. It is used by drug dealers because the "look" of the dog became "fashionable" with them, along with the reputation and the fact that they are half the size (well 2/3 anyway) of the size of a Rottweiler- which was at one time the second breed of choice.

I have to tell you that, s someone who takes on and deals with problem dogs (the latest being of all things a Cane Corsa!!) the ONLY breed of dog that has ever seriously frightened me has been a lttle old, common or garden Staffy!!! Yes, a sweet little, smiley dog!! It meant to KILL me, I kid you not. BUT the dog was unstable. Am I scared, or even wary of Staffs?? Not at all, they are sweet little smiley dogs 99 times out of a 100. Would I want two or three running wild on my field?? NO WAY, I would have my Dobes on them before they cleared the first field!! In fact that is one of the things the Dobes are there for- to keep strange dogs off the place.

So let us not, especially as Monica does not, turn this thread into a Dog Hunt.

Let us remember that one of our friends has lost a friend.

And we should be praying for her.

Last edited by a moderator:
kittnblue, have you hired an attorney? I would if I were you. You have not only lost your stallion and been through a lot, but also future sales of foals from this horse, etc... and loss of income. Some folks just dont get it unless they really have to pay from their pocketbook for their own irresponsibilities. It will not bring your horse back, or lessen the horror of the whole ordeal, but hopefully will allow you to be able to replace him and also make them keep their dogs at home!!

Hugs to you

Laurie

Prayers for the owners and the poor little mini.
sad.gif
This is so sad and avoidable, if people would just learn to be responsible, and keep dogs under control.

Sunny said:
[
Cathy, I couldn't agree with you more!!  Right beside the article about the mini being killed by those dogs is another article about police killing two pitbulls that attacked them when they tried to arrest a man (who was wanted on a warrant for sexual assault) inside the house.  I think the police officers were very lucky indeed that they didn't suffer major injuries or death.

503881[/snapback]

Just for the record.. most of my dogs including my Border Collie would attack anyone who came in to my house especially if they were trying to handcuff me or whatever.. that is the whole point in having a dog .. to protect you and mine would

ask runamuk....
rolleyes.gif
my border collie is big enough to inflict damage and my chi's would try heck in Mexico many drug farms use chi's tons of them to protect there places 50-60 of htem running around

The dogs no matter what breed dont know that there owner is a criminal and that the police are good they know that someone is storming into there house after there owner

they are doing what a dog of ANY breed should do

by the way i realize this is off topic but since it was brought up
wink.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back