Manes!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirenFarms

Reaction score
How do yall gets yalls horses manes so long and pretty!? i cant get my stallions to grow at all its so short compared to everyone elses. He is appy bred so his tail is not tooo thick but he has a nice pretty tail and a pretty thick mane and forelock but no matter how i trim it his mane wont grow longer. tail has NO problem growing and almost grows too fast. So how do yall do it?

Some horses just do not grow a long mane, and it's typical that appy horses don't (some do, most don't). Some of my horses can grow long manes, and others have a bit of a frizzy texture to their manes, and those type will not grow long.

The length of hair (for both humans and horses, they've found) is genetically programmed.

Some human people, no matter what they do, can't get their hair to grow either!

Andrea

i dont know, his sire and dam had very long manes and tails and were both appys ? maybe he just cant grow a long man?

dont touch it......my mare has a nice mane and is getting longer, dont put any products in it ,dont brush it, if u do put products in it wash it out the next day, good luck :bgrin

you say you trim it?? Hows it supposed to grow if trimmed? It take s ahorse up to 5 years to regrow hair that has been cut or pulled out. so do NOTHING to it and that may help. I brush ONLY when they are starting to tangle and I have LONG FULL manes on all my horses.

I agree totally with the last two posts. The less you do with the mane, the better. The tail, too, for that matter. I never do anything with my show horses' manes and tails except wash and condition them and apply show sheen the day before the show, and they all have fabulous hair. The more you fuss with it, the more damage you cause and then it's very difficult to grow in.

I love Shapley's MTG...I don't do much brushing on my horses manes/tails but once a week apply MTG and boy oh boy it sure seems to make a difference.

Don't trim it and try not to brush it alot because it pulls out some strands of hairs. I use MTG. You can use them on manes and tails. My friends QH mare had a tail that went down to her hocks for about 5 years. She started using MTG and it grew down to the ground in about 6 months. It all depends on the horse but it should grow sooner or later!

Latest posts

Back