Making a lash?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't have access to any whips with driving length lashes. I hate to order one without trying it out. Also, it might not fit in my holder. Since I like the whip I have, would it be possible to make a longer lash for it? How long? What material?

Is it more complicated than that?

I've never seen a long-lash driving whip in person.

I have not tried it, but I say give it a whirl. Study the lash and then off to the craft store and see if they have anything similar.

I am not sure how to make the material stiffer like a lash, maybe watered down glue?

It may not be proper, or even right but I made one out of a shoelace. I used one of the stiff boot laces and folded it in half, sewed it together and left a small loop at the "head" to attach to the whip. It works for me--when I use it LOL!
yes.gif

It may not be proper, or even right but I made one out of a shoelace. I used one of the stiff boot laces and folded it in half, sewed it together and left a small loop at the "head" to attach to the whip. It works for me--when I use it LOL!
yes.gif

And I thought I was the only one to use a shoelace!! VBG!! I found I could "fray" the ends a bit, too!

The "real" whips originally made had leather lashes. I have not looked at one closely, but I wonder if you could just braid thin leather strips.

I made a longer lash out of a waxed boot lace. I LOVE the way a longer lash works! But the boot lace is not ideal. But now that I know how nice a longer lash is to use, I must order one.

Congratulations for coming over to the "dark side" with all of us with longer lashes! You will be able to cue your horse so much more effectively! Eventually, we will have to have a discussion about where to use the lash on the horse to get the desired effect.

Myrna

I just found this on Amazon! http://www.amazon.com/WHIP-DRIVING-GIG-4-5-FT/dp/B000FFDVLU

The whip above 'may' be too long for some mini horses and their vehicles. It may pay to inquire if they have shorter ones.

Alternatively, if you are crafty, you could look at the lovely whips in the catalogue at http://fleck-co.de/en/products/catlogue-download.html (the driving whips are in the second of the downloads), with a view to trying to make one yourself.

I happened to be in the right place at the right time and bought a lovely holly whip that had been an order that was never picked up! Just the right size and BEAUTIFUL to handle, well balanced and great to drive with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back