Maidens and Breeding!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you decided when a maiden is ready to be bred?

• Total voters

Kelsey - Vandy's Farm

Reaction score
I'm just curious what everyone's guidelines are when breeding a maiden mare?

I have one I was hoping to breed this year but I just don't think she's ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt vote, as mine is a mixture of things.

Ofcourse conformationally i wont breed a mare with traits i dont want to pass on, or that i consider major faults. So i would assess that first and foremost before even considering breeding.

I like the mare to have stopped growing, i dont like the idea of breeding her if she is still trying to mature and grow herself, as i believe she isnt ready to be putting all her effort into a foal, she still needs it for herself.

I also like the mare to have regular cycles and confidence around a stallion (my stallions run next to mares, so they are generally quite confident and show strong heats). I dont like my maidens to be scared of a stallion and make their first experience scary for them.

I wont breed a mare who i believe isnt mentally mature. I have one mare i left until 6yo, because she always stayed with the babies, played and ate and shared with the babies, and nashed at older mares. She mentally was still very young. Once she was 5 she seemed to snap out of it and all she wanted was the stallion, so come 6yo, i bred her. She took to motherhood wonderfully.

This is just my opinion and the way i work things here. Some are bred at 3yo, some at 5-6yo, it is different for every mare.

I didn't vote either, as we wait until our mares are mentally and physically ready.

Our vets won't palpate a Mini down here, so that's out. So they have to LOOK mature before they meet the boys...

I didn't vote either, as we wait until our mares are mentally and physically ready.

Our vets won't palpate a Mini down here, so that's out. So they have to LOOK mature before they meet the boys...
I didn't vote either for the same reason as you. I also don't think the vets around here are that familiar with the miniature horse and I had a friend lose her horse due to a vet tearing something during palpation.

This is my first year for ever breeding a maiden mare. I've purchased maidens in foal and things worked out, but this is my first time breeding one of my own maidens.

How I decided to approach it was by looking at the horse as an individual. Since she is so tiny (28") I decided to have her inspected by a vet. I had her ultrasounded (to make sure things looked normal) and then had her palpated (to make sure there seemed to be enough room for the foal to get through). And I actually did this twice!
default_laugh.png
I'm such a nervous ninnie that I had it done last spring when she was 4, but then never bred her, so I did it again this spring before she left for the stallion's farm. I know, I know. I totally wasted the money on that second US and palpation...like she was going to shrink over the year?
default_wacko.png
But I just get nervous.

The result was the vet said (both times
default_laugh.png
) she "seemed" go to go. We all know that nobody can forsee the future or give us a guarantee that a horse will not experience any foaling issues. But, based on her size and being a maiden, I felt it was necessary to do some pre-work, because the vet could have come back and said "no way, too small, not enough room." In that case I would certainly not have sent her away for breeding.

The other precaution I'm taking due to her being a maiden and her size is that she's going to a farm that is experienced with foaling out mares and has the expertise, equipment and skilled vets close by.

And lastly, to be rather blunt but realistic, she's insured, specifically with a breeding clause in addition to her showing clause.

Those are the precautions I chose. Now, if my next maiden is 34" and she seems to be built for foaling, I may or may not go through the same process. Again, we can never know and there are no guarantees. All we can do is use the best judgement we can and if possible, do some pre-breeding inspections of the mare by a vet.

Lastly, I also take into account their emotional development. I didn't breed Raven as a 4 year old because she seemed to be a little immature still. But this spring she seemed to be at the right place mentally so I went ahead.

I sold a 2 year old perlino filly a few years back. She was close to 33" as a 2 yo. I was horrified to learn her new owner bred her. I just thought a) 2 is too young in general and b) she was really immature emotionally and physically. Fortunately all went well and she foaled easily and was a good mother. I personally would have waited until she was at least 3, but that's me. She's now with a new owner (that I LOVE) and think she will go on to produce some very nice babies with this specific stallion.
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back