Lutalyse shots to bring mares in heat

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windhaven

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I have a question on Lutalyse shots for helping bring mares in heat. I have used them before years ago, but have not used it since my move from MI to GA.

My old vet in MI had just switched Lutalyse shots to two doses. One in the morning and one in the evening at a lower dose because it helped the horses not have such a bad reaction. And I used this a couple of times and it worked great. Now I can't for the life of me remember what the dosage is.

The vet down here that I talked to today said to give them 2 cc once. Said he never had heard of the two dosage. 2 cc's sound like to much.

I can't remember if it was 1 cc twice a day or 1.5 cc twice a day.

For people who have used this, what is the dosage you give your minis and is it once or twice?

Thanks

Haven't heard of am/pm dose, but I have given a dose 1 day apart for hard to breed mares.

1-2cc is about right, depending on size.

If you want to avoid dose/reaction problems, try estrumate. 1cc/horse (big or small) , almost no reactions. Works as good if not better than Lutalyse.

Dr Taylor

Thank you Dr. Taylor

I have not used estrumate before, but have read about it here on the forum. Unfortunately my vet did not bring this up so I am not sure they even carry it. They still seem to be a little behind the times.

I will see if I can find some.

Thanks again.

Estramate is the far preferred version. Its a synthetic (Lutalyse is the natural version). The dose for a large horse is 2cc Lute or 1cc Estramate. For minis, its less. I've been using 0.25ml IM Estramate without any issues.

There is a low dose Lute protocol which I have never personally used... its two 0.1ml shots given 1 day or a few hours apart, I really don't remember the details. It pretty much eliminates the reactions. It really doesn't take much, 2ml is WAY overkill, but is what is normally used.

The mini I have just short cycled I gave her .5cc x1 then .5cc 24hours later & she came into heat 4 days later & I also did a large mare with 1.5cc just once & that worked too. That was with Lutalyse. Did another mini & it didn't work for her twice. All depends if you get them in the right stage of their cycle as minis are difficult to ultrasound in this part of ontario.

Yes, prostoglandin will not have any effect on their cycle if there is no CL with the proper receptors
default_smile.png
You have to wait at least 5 days after ovulation for PG to have any effect.

Back