lots of newbie questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fancyappy

Reaction score
Hello. I have some questions and would really appreciate your help. They may seem pretty silly to you but I am a newbie to the mini horse world and really need some info..

"Color."..How is the buckskin or palomino passed on. Is the mare the carrier? If a buckskin mare produced a palomino foal from a black mating. Will that same mating produce another palomino or is it not predictable to any extent?

The Appy coloration...Will appy to appy, both spotted, produce spots?

Is there a means to register an unregistered mini. One that has never had papers. I have read posts on DNA testing but would like this explained to me.

I have a ton of questions and if someone would feel comfortable allowing me to call you and let me fire away, I would be most grateful.or if you could direct me to a good website for the info that would be great.

Thanks everyone for bearing with a newbie's questions!

As far as the unregistered horse. If it is 34" or under and over 5 years old they can be hardshiped into AMHA. A mare for $600 and a stud for $1200. But this can only be done until 2013 (I think I have the date right) when the registery closes.

There is no such thing as a silly question - especially on this forum!

There is a lot more information about color on this website: http://www.horsetesting.com/Equine.htm. To produce a buckskin you need a black gene, the agouti gene (the one that makes bay and buckskin by removing black color from everywhere except the legs, mane and tail), and the cream gene (which also is needed for palomino). These genes can come from either the sire or dam. There is a coat calculator on this website that will tell you what your chances are of getting different colors based on the color of the sire and dam.

I can't help with appy genetics.

If you have an unregistered pinto mare or gelding, they can be registered with the PInto Horse Association (www.pinto.org). Maybe someone else can help with your other questions.

I know you can hardship in unregistered minis but they have to meet certain standards.

I know with appy big horses (lol) you can breed two solid apps and get spots. It is all about who is in the mare/stud's ancestry.

When we bred and showed Apps (when I was younger) we got our best looking babies from solid mares and colored stallions.

I have a buckskin mare (QH mare), but I am not sure of the breeding on the color of the buckskins. I love the buckskin and dun colors.

Thank you for saying this!

"When we bred and showed Apps (when I was younger) we got our best looking babies from solid mares and colored stallions. "

I've been saying this till I'm blue in the face and no one is listening to me!
default_new_shocked.gif

Viki

Hi fancyappy,

I am not doing much these days, feel free to PM me here on the forum or email me at[email protected]. I'd love to answer any questions and just chat.
default_biggrin.png

The one thing I know for sure is, you can breed a loud appy to a loud appy and get a SOLID foal!
default_wacko.png
Just look around my barn!
default_laugh.png
I also breed for buckskins, and your best shot there is to breed a bay to a cremello. I'm also up to chat any time you want. You can email me anytime.

Melba

Thanks everyone for the replies. Color is very complicated it seems.lol

thank you all so much. I wil be contacting those of you who were kind enough to offer personal advice. I can't tell you how grateful I am that you would be willing to answer my multitude of mini questions.

Thank you again!

predicting color is very hard to do be it pinto or dilutes. You can try and guess but sometimes nature has a way of fooling you LOL. feel free to call or email anytime. All my info is on my website

Welcome to the world of miniatures!

Back