Lost A FOAL

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayla221444

Reaction score
we noticed yesterday morning that she was waxing, we peeled it off to see if it would come back, and sure enough it did, we knew she was going to foal for sure & she usaully foals during the day, we had her in a good dry pasture with the cams outside and kept checking her about every 15 mins, she would paw lay down for a quick second, then get right back up, rub her butt so she was showing thoes signs all day long, which was unsual for her as well as she normally does everything so quickly. So we put the horses in for the night early, and as soon as we left the barn we went inside looked at the camera & she was in hard labor, got out there the water had broke, then bag starting coming and she was pushing & pushing & pushing and no progress was being made for almost 15 mins, and barely any bag was showing so we knew something was up, called the vet ASAP. They got down here quickly & right before they pulled in the drive way the tail was starting to come out, so we knew this wasn't going to be good. They vets rushed in and told us that it was life threatening to both mom & baby, so it was nerve wrecking! They got her sedated, and gave him some stuff to help slow the contractions. And they were just getting ready to clip & prep for her epidural. Vet moved her hind end over she gave a good push and out came the baby. We were hoping it made it but he was already dead, chord was still connected to him. It was a little silver dwarf colt, with a star He was VERY VERY small (a little smaller than our beagle) she wasn't due until May 4th but thank goodness because it allowed her to be able to push him out all on her own, without vets having to go in. After we put her on fluids, and they vaginally checked her and everything looked good in there. We were really looking forward to this foal, because his sire passed away this past september due to kidney failure.
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to at least see the white bubble within about 10 minutes. I would call a vet ASAP.

HURRY I NEED HELP ASAP MOMS OUT TO THE BARN WATCHING THE MARE, HER WATER BROKE ABOUT 15 MINS AGO AND SHES NOT PROGRESSING AT ALL! HOW LONG SHOULD IT BE BEFORE WE STAT TO SEE FIRST FOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
default_no.gif

I hope it's okay to let you know what Kayla said. I read her post about 8:15PM Central time and called her to see if I could offer some help. She said that the vet was there. The foal was breech, but that's all she knew at the time. I hope the mare will be okay.

Janet

Hi Everyone, thank you all so much for the prayers, and thanks Janet for keeping everyone updated & thanks for calling it really helped me feel better about the mare having a chance! The baby was breech, butt first. The vets got here, and thought they were going to have to get it out, but one last push after being sedated got it out just enough to pull out. AND to a big suprise, the foal was a ?!dwarf!?
default_new_shocked.gif
, he didn't make it though
default_no.gif
. The mother has never foaled a dwarf before, and neither has the father, both have had NUMEROUS foals (not together). Do you think it was possible that the baby just didn't develope completly for some reason? It makes no sence to us why he was a dwarf? mom is doing good but she will be sad with no baby, we gave he fluids & will be keeping a close eye on her for a while, but for now she seems good..I will keep everyone updated on her progress. thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
That is very sad. So sorry to hear this happened to you. That poor little mare, but so glad she is doing well, I hope she continues to do well for you.

B

I am very sorry. A dwarf can happen anytime the genes come together so you could in essence breed the same pair again 20 times and not get another dwarf, get 20 more dwarves or anything in between.

So glad your vet was there to help. Nothing in the world like that feeling of waiting for help to come. Sorry you lost the baby. But sure hope your mare will feel better soon.

Kayla, so sorry you lost a foal - that part never gets easy. Don't think I would repeat the breeding, although as Lisa said you could rebreed and never have another.....

Jan

So sorry for your loss but glad the mare will be ok. I have heard of several problem foalings just in the last couple days. Full moon maybe?

Thanks everyone for the support!
default_wub.png
It was a full moon & it just seemed like a bad night for us, not shortly after the baby came out we heard a loud skreeching outside the barn a fox got our barn cat! Poor baby
default_no.gif
it was just a bad night but luckily we were able to save our beloved mare!!!!! We are scared now for our other foals to arrive all due in about a week or so. That cross can never be made again, since our stallion passed away last september due to kidney failure. We have one more foal due by him. And 2 others by a different stallion. It deff. helped to have the vets there for sure, but it seemed like forever for them to get here although it only took 15-20 mins.

Latest posts

Back