looking for pattern

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymiracles

Reaction score
I would like to make my own fly sheets as I have a draft horse sheet that got ruined and can not be used for them anymore but it has good material on it and useable hardware if I can trim it down to size, I am just not that creative to see how to get it down to size to fit my guys. I was looking for a pattern on suitability but couldnt find one. Anyone have ideas where I could go?

I am looking to size down a couple fly sheets for our crew...I need to find the binding for the edges and add a bit more hardware.....

Please let me know if you find anything.....

It is a great way to "recycle"
default_smile.png

Hi, What I have done in the past is use a winter blanket for a pattern.

1) How you do this you lay out your fly sheet flat.

2) Then lay your winter blanket folded in half (so that is like your looking at it from the side) on top of the fly sheet material. Make sure that you lay it in the middle of the material or you will cut it to short. If there is a binding down the middle you can use that as the center.

3) Then cut the material that is lying underneath. When you get to the other side simply fold the blanket over to the other side and then cut that side. You can adjust your size accordingly, by cutting it bigger or smaller. You can then match up the sides by folding it in half so it is even and trim off any excess.

4) Sew on you binding and belly straps by placing it on the horse and mark them where you want them to go.

I hope I explained this well enough for you. Good Luck have fun.
default_saludando.gif

My problem is I dont have ANY blankets of any kind for my guys, I thought I would start with a pattern for fly sheets and from there I would get the basic idea so I can start on blankets for this winter. I would think old seatbelts would work. I went to fabric store and was able to find stuff. One thing with seat belts is make sure your sewing machine can handle the heaviness of them or you will be snapping needles left and right!

I wouldnt use old seatbelts. Your going to have to find hardwear with much bigger openings for them to fit through. Joann fabric sells nylon webbing by the yard that works great.

I'm not sure what kind of hardware but this site might have what you need. It does have webbing.

Strapworks.com

Suitability has a good pattern for fly sheets. If you are looking for bindings and straps as well as fasteners, try an Army Navy Surplus store for a lot of that. But, the edge binding you might try something like a mill ends fabric store. You know the kind that has things you havent seen in years. They have a little bit of this, and a little bit of that. But when it's gone it's gone. You might even be able to get some of the fabrics you would want there. Just a thought.

Hi Little Bits,
Where did you find your binding and belly straps?

Sorry I haven't been on to reply. I am assuming that you had the old straps left from the big blanket. I would reuse them if possible. I use a stitch ripper to get them off. You can do the same with the bindings. Just rip them out and sew them on to the "new" blanket. They are all ready folded so that makes it easy. Try google searching for the binding. You do have to fold it over to sew it on so be bold and go for it. What do you have to lose. Post pics when you finish. Good Luck.

I bought a book on making your own horse clothing. Think its called just that. Has step by step on how to measure, what to use, etc. I've never used it as my sewing skills suck! Anyone interested, let me know. I'm never going to use it!
default_rolleyes.gif

I don't know where to get a pattern but wanted to add for buckle/straps I've used dog collars from big lots of a dollar store.

The buckle, adjuster, slide etc all seem to be the pricer parts when making your own.

I've ended up cutting up the collar and using all of it in parts.

Has worked for me - to date I've only made coolers but it has worked for the minis.

TRY ebay for webbing straps and buckles. I have made my own slinkies, blankets and leads by purchasing goods on ebay they usually have tons of different colored straps too.

I would like to make my own fly sheets as I have a draft horse sheet that got ruined and can not be used for them anymore but it has good material on it and useable hardware if I can trim it down to size, I am just not that creative to see how to get it down to size to fit my guys. I was looking for a pattern on suitability but couldnt find one. Anyone have ideas where I could go?
Hi

I have a pattern I bought from Suitability and I use it to my Blankets and costume the pattern number is #7900

Hope this helps

As for the hardware and the webbing I get the hardware at a tack store near by and the webbing from JoAnne Fabric

Latest posts

Back