Looking for opinions on my 2 yr old

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misty'smom

Reaction score
Misty turned 2 this past May and I think she is turning into a really nice looking mini! I have had several compliments from people including my farrier that have said she is really put together well and looks like a "true miniature horse"!
default_yes.gif

Now I would like to hear from the experts here on the forum!! I really have learned so much in the past 3 years here and totally respect your opinions!! I grew up with the big guys so I know how they should look, but is it the same for minis? When I first saw Misty at 10 days old I thought she had a really pretty head and nice long legs and thought she would turn out nice, soooo I put my deposit down on her. I took some pictures of her today in motion and a few stills 2 nights ago.

IMG_6868.JPGIMG_6893.JPGIMG_6899.JPGIMG_6958.JPGIMG_6969.JPGIMG_6993.JPGIMG_7014.JPGIMG_6971.JPG

It's kind of hard to really tell a lot with her not posed as for show; but still- it looks like she does have a very pretty head and nicely refined legs. I like her markings. It looks as if she has a nice length of neck. Just from these photos, I would think it would be fun to see how she did in a few halter classes and also the multicolor class!
default_thumbup.gif

I think she has nice long legs, might be a nice driving prospect as she matures
default_smile.png

Thank you for your replies! I would like to try a halter class, she leads nicely now. I want to get some ideas to make an obstacle course to practice with her too. I also would love to learn how to drive and train Misty!! So I am trying to look into that as well.

I think she is a pretty little girl but of course I do, I am her Mom!!!!! lol But getting some opinions from you all gives me an idea if I am way of base as to her conformation. Maybe I do need to get some shots of her striking the "pose" if I can get her to stand that way!!!! Thanks again!!

shes a very pretty mare but I would rather see her standing square from side and back , she has something going on with her hind legs that Im not sure about but can't say without proper pics , Does she toe out ? is she sickle hocked when stood square ? Does she move wide when walking ? Its impossible to answer without more pics

Thanks Supaspot for your reply! I will try to bet some pictures of her standing square. I dont believe she toes out or moves wide when walking. I am not sure what "sickle hocked means"?? Other than showing her for conformation does any of these issues affect her health?? I'm a little worried now if she might have issues in her hind end/legs?!?! This has never been brought to my attention before. I certainly will get some pictures of her squared, now by squared you mean front and back legs evenly together?? Like a pose for showing?? My farrier is coming this week and he has many years of experience so I will also check with him to see what he thinks. Although not squared here are a few pictures of her just standing......

IMG_2712.JPGIMG_2593.JPGIMG_2594.JPG

Thank you for your help......I hope Misty won't have any leg or hip issues. Her health is first and most important to me showing is not all that important!!!!!!

Standing her square will show her true form. It will allow you to see the true angles of her shoulders, knees, cannons & front hooves; then her hips, gaskins, hocks and cannons in back. For her front, you can do different angles to show the throat and head - it ends up being a lot of pics to find what works best for your horse.

Actually the 2nd picture (2nd batch) makes her look like she's very sore - but based on other pics that you show she's obviously not. I try hard to watch what I keep and post publicly - because a bad pose (even if not a show pose) can make a horse look injured, sick or just "bad".... That is a common stance (standing under themselves) for a horse that has severe founder/laminitis going on. HOWEVER, as with your filly, it's also sometimes a common way they stand out in the pasture - which is why its good to know your horse.

Here's a standard conformation picture showing good/bad for hindquarters/legs. You can google other conformation pics. We used these type for judging both in 4H and in the clinic I attended for Shetlands a couple of years ago... Of course, Shetlands are then stetched to different levels.

HindLegs.jpg

That said, I have a couple of friends that love taking out of proportion head shots. Drives me CRAZY!! Makes their horses look soooo off and I always wonder why they use those - but for them it shows their horses' personalities. One used those pics to advertise her horse for sale - and wondered why she didn't get any buyers. I helped her set her horse up, change her ad and then that mare sold in less than 24 hours (a NICE TWH with what turned out to be great bloodlines. 2 months later she was still getting calls and could probably have sold her for more than 2x what she did. Sold her for $3,500 - more than 2x what she had paid for her)...

Your filly is quite lovely. Yes, close up and squared pics would be easiest to evaluate her. Trotting pics would be best for evaluating driving ability for upper levels of driving. BUT she looks like she could easily drive and be an all around type horse for any type of local driving and showing AND YOUR ENJOYMENT. I'm not the best at evaluating for current showing - I like a horse that conforms to standard conformation charts according to what I want to do with them - not what is necessarily winning in the show ring (which is much more extreme and refined for what I want to do). I want usability - not just "pretty". And there are different types based on what you want to do, LOL.
default_yes.gif

Seems I like a drafty type w/ more substance and shorter cannons and legs overall - so they can pull better. BUT I also want a good shoulder and neck/throat so they can get some extension forward, not upward. Some of my babies fit that ideal and some DO NOT! We currently have a black/white colt that is just .... "WOW" ... yet I can't get any decent shots of him! I think he'll meet my ideals all around AND make a decent show colt in Foundation Shetland (he's already 40" at 16 months of age). He's got longer legs - but they are balanced w/ his body. I have another colt that has the same long legs with less bone substance and a teeny, tiny (pretty to some) body perched up on those legs. Not sure what this colt will turn out to do yet... Right now, I hope that that's an awkward yearling stage.

Here's some conformation shots of two full sisters that are by our 45" shetland stallion and out of a 12 hand (48") Hackney mare. They were both registered as ASPR - but they don't have the required action for the show ring standards for ASPC/ASPR. HOWEVER - they both turned into GREAT little CDE driving ponies and their full sisters are both in H/J barns and doing a lot of jumping with teeny, tiny riders! One of those mares resold a couple of years ago for just under $50,000! (no, as her breeder I didn't get nearly that much - but I didn't have years of h/j training expenses in her either).

You can see that they look different depending on how they stand.

2d5a.jpg

8f52.jpg
b2ee.jpg

Her movement as a green driving baby -

7a47.jpg

and here is Jewel - her full sister:

7a8c.jpg
4f72.jpg

5c56.jpg

Mature and rather fat, LOL.

and driving as a lead pair in a 4 up hitch - have more pics but have to go...

5e59.jpg

But notice - most of these shots aren't "true" conformation shots. Getting little Jewel to stand square was almost impossible until she got older - after I sold her and Lacey as the pair they became above. She stood stretched out in the pasture when she was relaxed!! That left side shot of her is great for showing her leg markings, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
dont panic Mistys mum ,theres no need to worry , Im just trying to say we need different pics to give a full and honest opinion and if she is a little sickle hocked ( which is common in minis ) it wouldnt harm her health , just affects her placing in the show ring , you have to understand that ALL minis have things that can be improved upon , no horse is perfect

dont panic Mistys mum ,theres no need to worry , Im just trying to say we need different pics to give a full and honest opinion and if she is a little sickle hocked ( which is common in minis ) it wouldnt harm her health , just affects her placing in the show ring , you have to understand that ALL minis have things that can be improved upon , no horse is perfect

DITTO.

Thank you Paula for all the great info!! I loved seeing the pictures of your beautiful ponies!!! I have always been partial to Pintos!!!!! I grew up with the big guys and my horse back then was a Bay Pinto named Poncho!
default_smile.png
I do plan on trying to get her trained to pull a cart and hopefully my grandchildren will want to get involved with 4H. So I wanted some ideas of what you all thought she would be suited for. She is spoiled rotten and very much loved!!! I've had her since she was 5 months old as well her half sister Josie who is a dwarf and 1 month older.

Supaspot, Happy it would not be anything that affects her health!!!!! That is the most impotant to me their health and well being. Even if Misty turns out to be just a fun family mini that is ok with me!!
default_smile.png
I am retired and Misty and Josie keep me busy and I love being outside and in my barn with them everyday!! But I value the opinions here of all the expert mini folks!!!!

default_yes.gif

I loved pintos, too, which is why when I found a stallion that was homozygous for tobiano - I bought him. Really didn't want a stallion, had only planned on mares and breeding out, but didn't work that way. Now that I'm doing this by myself - I am slowing down as I've found out that an almost full time job with a 2 hour drive doesn't work well with having lots of ponies and caring for them by yourself.... sigh.

I LOVED it when my children (and their friends) were involved! That made picture taking so much easier. Here's a better conformation shot of a pony and incidentally she is also a full sister to the ones above. Sadly, I lost contact with the girl who purchased her and have not been able to locate her... The young lady had plans of training her to ride and having her jump as two of the full sisters do. This filly is 4 1/2 months old in this photo.

bd3a.jpg

This is actually how a hunter pony is presented - with legs offset. Shows pinto markings very well, too. Also, even though offset, two legs are perpendicular on the side viewing, so you can still see the angles. An older pony would be asked to extend the head/neck slightly out/lower. I was happy she stood! Our daughter is holding her and I'm taking pics. This was a 35mm camera using film long before I had my first digital camera. Took 4 rolls of film this day if I remember right - only a handful of decent pics like above. LOVE, LOVE, love digital cameras!

baef.jpg

This is a yearling arab/shetland mare.

Hint - this picture is slightly "off". I'm too far to the left. For conformation pics - remember to "center yourself" on the barrel of your horse. With your smaller minis, you want to sit on a bucket or on the ground (watch for ants!) and centered on the barrel of the horse. Here's a pic of a 2011 filly - I'm kneeling on the ground to hold her and my girlfriend is also kneeling... Again the photo is slightly "off" - but we didn't care. Even with a digital camera - we took almost 200 photos of a total of 4 ponies this day!! I LIKE this photo,
default_giveup.gif
, so I use it... You can see her conformation fairly well - she did go on to be shown in 2012 and 2013 - doing very well... You've probably seen the posts I did in the past about her. The 2nd photo is of her as a long yearling at the trainers, but I'd stopped in and she was just pulled out of the stall and set up.

11may17fl115v.jpg

12aug13fl479.jpg

And here she is while being shown, but before going in the ring. If you look close - you can tell she is standing wide behind - which can be a fault, and under herself slightly in front. Based on her other photos, though, you already know that she doesn't stand that way normally. But remember if we see only one photo - this might not be the best one to use. Again, I like this one... Also, you don't know if she's high in the "butt" because she's a baby (2 yrs old) or if she's truly "butt high" (rump higher than withers used to be considered a major conformation fault - doesn't seem to be faulted as much with Shetlands/minis BUT truly butt high can't get under themselves and drive forward with their "motor"), or if it's the way she's partially stretched. If I remember right, both squaring her up or stretching her slightly more would drop her "butt". She was slightly high though - a growth spurt. She evened out later at home and then got butt high again... She's even right now as a 3 1/2 yr old.

13jul12fla313.jpg

Just some hints to get some pics. Trust me, i know how frustrating it can be to get shots. I go thru periods where I can't seem to get any good shots of any of our ponies. While I have a digital camera now - it still takes a moment from focusing camera to getting your shot. There are days when I miss the ears up, proper stance before the head is shaken, the tail is switched or the foot is stomped or they just plain get tired of standing and rear, spook, buck or kick!! There's a reason why pros take LOTS of pics, LOL... I never really understood that until I really started taking pics and getting very particular about the ones I used.

Incidentally, our 9 yr old daughter usually got the best pics when we were using a film camera. It has varied with me.

Edit - If you do the "conformation square" - only one of these ponies is standing mostly square. The other pics would be difficult to drop a "plum line" from point of shoulder or hip and centered thru the hoof as it would be to see if they are correct. I just tried it with that first pic of the little filly and .... not even close. Her left front is back and so is that left rear. Hmmm... not sure I have any TRUE squared up pics now.
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_rofl.gif
. OH and the stock horses I used to soooo love (and still do) - they are purposely set up, for some reason, under them selves. Looks terrible - at least to me!! I don't know when that started, but I was in shock when I saw the pictures from a major show, with lots of horses in the ring and they were all set that way. It's now trickled down to open shows and the first two shows our club held this year every QH type horse was set up like that. Two youth exhibitors (over 12) had no idea why their horses were set that way - only that that is "how it's done"... I even asked an adult who does well at both our open shows and at QH/Palomino shows + is a horse vet and she couldn't tell me why or when it started. She doesn't set hers up that way - and she says that sometimes it really counts against her in the ring (????). I really like her one horse (a true all around - jumps and works cattle - does both jobs well both in the ring and while actually "working"!).

Last edited by a moderator:
Paula, love seeing these pics of your ponies!! Your silver filly is beautiful, love her coloring!!!!!! Do you call that a silver dapple pinto?? That's a great idea to sit on a bucket to take photos. Do you think they change or grow much after 2yrs? I have not measured her in about 6 months but she was around 31" then. What "type" of Pinto do you think she is? Back when I had my Pinto, many moons ago, I dont remember hearing all the different names for their markings. Once I had asked about that here and someone had told me that due to her spots within her white patches that she was homozygous???? which meant if I were to breed her she would always throw a Pinto?? Hope you dont mind all the questions......and thanks again for the cropped pics of Misty! You may post them here if you want to, I don't mind, she is "my pretty girl" to me!!!
default_smile.png

default_closedeyes.gif
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGG!!!!! I had a lot of info typed into the post below in response to your questions, and when the kitten jumped into my lap, dropped the mouse and my browser shut down - taking all my typed answers with it... I'll try again.

Paula, love seeing these pics of your ponies!! Your silver filly is beautiful, love her coloring!!!!!! Thank you.

Do you call that a silver dapple pinto?? Yes, she's a silver dapple Tobiano. Minimal white. She has lots of lovely dapples, and some roaning (not a full body roan - I call it "in-complete roan" but truly don't know what it is). She has not been color tested but both her parents were and we know that this makes her homozygous for black, no bay agouti and she could be a homozygous tobiano and/or silver. She has a white face (bald or apron marking) - not typically a Tobiano trait, but her dam, Koalah was tested negative for Sabino. There are now other pinto color tests that could be run on one or both of them - may do them in the future. There is a link at the bottom of Flashi's page that will take you to her photo album. From her pedigree, you can go to her dam ("Koalah") or sire's ("Iggy") pages. Her two full sisters are "Shamrock" (2012 filly) and "Bunny" (2013 filly) - the links to their pages work on the bottom of the page. BUT our general site is "broken" at the moment (still working on that!) and you can't access all of it right now...

That's a great idea to sit on a bucket to take photos.

Do you think they change or grow much after 2yrs? I have not measured her in about 6 months but she was around 31" then. I have seen/had Arabians grow more than 2" after reaching "maturity" at 5 yrs of age. This year, our mini/shetland gelding that was measured at 37" at the withers 1 yr ago, turned 4 yrs old in February 2014 has sprouted to 39.25" at the withers now.... So yes, some do grow after 2 yrs of age. There's no way to predict which ones that I'm aware of.

What "type" of Pinto do you think she is? Tobiano. She has ermine spotting on her legs (the black on her white stockings) and paw prints in her body white.

Back when I had my Pinto, many moons ago, I dont remember hearing all the different names for their markings. Once I had asked about that here and someone had told me that due to her spots within her white patches that she was homozygous???? which meant if I were to breed her she would always throw a Pinto?? Possibly BUT our homozygous Tobiano stallion (proven via blood test and breeding to mares) sired both ermine spots & "paw prints" regularly when bred to non-tobiano mares. Were both of her parents Tobiano? If not, then she just has the pretty markings w/o being homozygous for spots (TT). With TT - all of her foals would receive a Tobiano gene and would appear Tobiano. It's the same for homozygous black (EE) and for silver (ZZ). They appear that color/pattern even if carrying only one gene - Ee looks black, Tt is tobiano, Zn is silver. Chestnut is ee.

Hope you dont mind all the questions......and thanks again for the cropped pics of Misty! You may post them here if you want to, I don't mind, she is "my pretty girl" to me!!!
default_smile.png

Don't mind the questions... You are welcome and I think that's wonderful!

Paula, even though your horse tested negative for Sabino, she could still have Sabino; the test is only for Sabino1, and there are multiple types of sabino in the sabino complex.

Me knows, LOL. That's why I said that there are now other tests for pinto and that we may do them later... for one or both ponies. Haven't really decided if that is necessary.

Actually I have called Flashi a Tovero, a Paint Horse term I grew up with meaning (originally) a cross between one of the overo 3 (known?) patterns and the tobiano pattern. I've always liked the term and many of our first foals were also Tovero's. Whew! I was just about blown apart on a couple of different forums, so I stopped using the term and just call her a Tobiano now.

We have had several Arabians that were minimal Sabino and had & produced really pretty blazes and extra body white. Pretty ponies. They were the ones with the most body white of our foals. All of our Tobiano foals have had very little white.

Paula, I was on my computer tonight and remembered I wanted to show you pictures of Misty as a foal. She certainly was a cute little girl and I fell in love with her that first day I saw her, she was 10 days old. Also here are a few of Josie my little dwarf. Josie was born a month before Misty and they were together all the time so we just had to bring Josie home too!!! They are BFFs and actually half sisters!!

IMG_2682.JPGIMG_1792.JPGIMG_1793.JPGIMG_2036.JPGIMG_2307.JPGIMG_2674.JPG

Latest posts

Back